School info

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

AEW

School info

Post by AEW »

Beaver Island Community School FOIA-Wage/Benefit 6/3/20. Currently 51 students k-12

Positions - Budgeted wages - Budgeted benefits

Teacher Elementary 50,753 + 9,410
Teacher Spec Ed/Elem 46,591 + 38,206
Teacher Elementary 34,272 + 29,432
Teacher Elem Long Term Sub 5,168 + 1,809
Teacher Elementary 73,468 + 48,355
Teacher CTE Business Admin 4,500 + 3,334
Teacher MS/HS 65,653 + 45,400
Teacher MS/HS 71,066 + 47,446
Teacher MS/HS 42,596 + 21,917
Teacher MS/HS 52,803 + 35,508
Teacher MS/HS 40,602 + 35,927
Superintendent 110,000 + 68,720
Teacher Assistant* 25,329 + 29,826
Teacher Assistant- Spec Ed* 9,261 + 6,225
Secretary, Central Office* 12,348 + 8,299
Technology Maintenance* 3,087 + 2,075
Administrative Assistant* 43,518 + 32,884
Athletic Director* 10,043 + 7,612
Counselor, Career* 8,858 + 2,611
Custodian, morning* 14,984 + 1,327
Maintenance-Custodian* 33,800 + 20,069
3rd Party Contracted Staff:
Food Service Coordinator 28,508 + 5,765
Teacher CTE Health Occupations 6,585 + 0

*Budget Hourly Staff (actual based on time logged in timekeeping system)
AE Wirth
AEW

Re: School info

Post by AEW »

Dear Ken,

I'm sorry to have triggered your hateful, bigoted, intolerant, rageaholic, aging brain again.

Ken, I posted the information for the public without comment. I believe that all taxpayer-funded entities on Beaver Island should publicly post all of their expenses annually on the forum for all to see. I believe that people should be given information to form their own opinions about things.

I know that you are not very interested in people thinking for themselves. Remember Ken, your political parties ideology still has it's slave master mentality roots in it from it's Inception. There is still time for you to change your fascist heart.

Ken, you have to stop being so selfish and self-centered. There are many people who have invested a lot of money into second homes on Beaver Island. Many of those people are being financially devastated by the horrible economic conditions on the Island and in the idotic policies of the State. They need to know where their taxes are going. Not that they have any voice in voting for taxes on the island. But people still deserve information. Information like last year when the almost new multi million dollar school spent $60,000 changing the lights in the building.

Unlike you Ken, most people did not inherit a massive amount of money from their dead conservative brother like you did. Perhaps when you are doing your "I Love Ken" virtue signaling missions you could at least mention your brother's name since it really is his money that you're giving out. But I certainly would not want to snuff out your virtue signaling spotlight that you love shining upon yourself.

Have a great day Ken. I wish you the best.

PS. If things get real bad for you I hear there are some great government-run Elderly Care Facilities in Detroit you should check out. Just make sure you bring a mask. (Opps, nevermind, I forgot about your priviledge.)

PS. I do not receive any pension from the military. I do though have an amazing career in the defense industry as a Military Trainer
that takes me all over the world.

PS. My family has property still on the Island. It matters to me.

Peace...
AE Wirth
Sour grapes

Post by Sour grapes »

Wow Adam, you have hit a new low. Despite the fact that Ken and I often disagree on topics I still value him and the good he has done for the island for many years. Your post is beyond nasty. Ken did not deserve your idiotic rant.
duffer

Post by duffer »

adam is just crying the blues because he could not make it here and then wonders why. its the childish going after others because he is a faliure here nothing more, i dont have anything gins adman either but he sure is delusional. very bottom of middle class is 45 grand and thats low at best. few here make that kind of money but people know it.... its called the pine cone factor... better living in the country on less than the city on more. adam take your but hurt ass and move on you left befor so go. you work on your life
duffy
Sour grapes

Post by Sour grapes »

Ken, I hope you didn't misunderstand my post. Adam is being nasty, not you. Why Adam feels he needs to keep stirring the pot about the school is puzzling. I thought your post was spot on..His comments to you about age and your wealth are shallow and none of his business. I know that your generous donations have made a huge difference in the quality of life for many during the past few months. Adam is toxic and has an obvious dislike for the Island. Ironic considering his time on the island and choices.
Sour grapes

Post by Sour grapes »

ktaylor wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:32 am Someone needs to remind Adam that everyone including him will age unless he has found the fountain of youth in his travels. I hope he makes it to 80 as I have.
GREAT POST KEN!!

=D> =D> =D> karma can be a bitch...Adam will find out someday and when he does I hope these words haunt him daily. Devaluing an 80+ year old was horrible. Adam....let us jnow when you find that fountain. =D> =D> =D>
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

Anyone who pays taxes here should care how public dollars are spent. One thing the COVID crisis has done is shown us that online educational opportunities have become more prominent as almost all schools in America went to them.

In many other rural areas across America highly skilled online educators with years of experience motivating their students to excel, teach students from great distances, begging the question why couldn’t the small number of students be taught virtually on Beaver Island and supplemented with a much smaller (and less expensive) local presence.

This would greatly reduce the local tax burden. Things aren’t rosy folks, most in the private island economy have seen business losses from 30-75% this year. These are people who’s livelihood and jobs depend on every dollar they receive.

Everyone should care what school and other public expenditures are, and why not consider using the best virtual education possible.
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

After having to assist in Zoom schooling the past few months I say give them all raises, awards and paths of gold in heaven. I include lunch staff, custodians and support staff as well. I only have one left at home and she is relatively an easy kid. Having to feed her, clean up after her, keep track of school work , assist in giving her test during the day I have a whole new appreciation and respect for our teachers and staff.

The benefit section of Adams post are misleading. As an employer I set a wage and know there are other cost to me to hire.
The benefits are not direct and include insurance premiums, unemployment, FICA and SS matches. They also include retirement matches. If you took most W2 waged employees regardless of thier job they are going ro have similar benefits percentages from wages if retirement and health insurance is offered. Those things are not inflated because it is a school.

What Adam neglects to add to his findings is the many many hours that are volunteered BEFORE AND AFTER school by admin and teachers that they are not compensated for. The monies they pay out of pocket for the extras that are not in the budget. I dont have a child at Beaver Island School, but I have many friends who kids have attended. Those kids deserve the same resources, after school sports, ancillary programs and teachers as a school with larger demographics.

Adam I am not sure what your agenda is here or what you are trying to accomplish with your post. I for one appreciate knowing that the community I pay taxes in pays most of thier teachers well. My interpretation of your post is that we need to pay them more. After all, our children will spend more of thier childhood from age 5-18 with other adults. I want well educated and well paid adults to take care if my kids.

I am not sure why you left the island, but maybe it is good you did.
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

JFPowers wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:37 am Anyone who pays taxes here should care how public dollars are spent. One thing the COVID crisis has done is shown us that online educational opportunities have become more prominent as almost all schools in America went to them.

In many other rural areas across America highly skilled online educators with years of experience motivating their students to excel, teach students from great distances, begging the question why couldn’t the small number of students be taught virtually on Beaver Island and supplemented with a much smaller (and less expensive) local presence.

This would greatly reduce the local tax burden. Things aren’t rosy folks, most in the private island economy have seen business losses from 30-75% this year. These are people who’s livelihood and jobs depend on every dollar they receive.

Everyone should care what school and other public expenditures are, and why not consider using the best virtual education possible.
Jeff

Homeschooling is alot of work and planning. I respect and applaud parents that have the time and resources to do it. It is not as easy and simple as you seem to feel based on your post above. Many parents work and can not take the time to homeschool thier younger kids.

Taking away the brick and mortar would be devastating to the Island. You are right, these are tough times. During tough times a community needs to pull together, not apart.
AEW

Post by AEW »

Well said Jeff,

There is nothing wrong with people having information. Anyone trying to hide or prevent people from getting access to information usually has something to hide.

In my 18 years living on the island I learned a lot. I had highs and lows but I built up an amazing clientele and really enjoyed meeting and getting to know people.

Three and a half years I got a phone call from an old Army friend who offered me a position with an amazing American defense company that operates all over the world. It has been a phenomenal experience. And I recently just transferred to even a better company.

I have a beautiful life and home in a wonderful community. We have a fantastic education system and public services. And my property taxes are $515 a year. That's all.

ALL of our businesses are all back open and our restaurants and large and small mom-and-pop shops are thriving again. People are getting back to work. We are all looking forward to having our National Fiddler's convention this summer. It draws thousands of people from all over the world.

For those of you discovering Beaver Island and considering investing money to buy a place there I wish you the best of luck. But one thing I would recommend is to really do your homework about property taxes. Add up all the expenses and time of traveling to and from the island as well. I have seen hundreds of doe eyed tourist come off the boat and make impulsive decisions only to see them sell their properties just a few years later at a loss. If you look on the large real estate web pages like Zillow you will see the massive amount of people who are trying to desperately sell their properties at prices below what they bought them or built them for on the Iand. I cannot encourage you enough to really go slow and think it through.

Take the time to look at the thousands of other beautiful places in the Grest lakes region and all over America. America is an amazingly beautiful country.

I also encourage others to do Freedom of Information request on all taxpayer-funded entities on Beaver Island. You will be shocked by what you find I promise.

Finally to Ken, All I did was post some information and you attacked me personally. When I posted the information I made no comment on whether the pay and benefits for anyone was low or high. I just presented the data. Why that triggered you is beyond me. It is sad knowing that you are walking towards your grave a bitter, shallow, angry man. Keep up the virtue signaling with your brother's money. It may make you feel better and I am sure that it truly help the people that have been devastated by the ignorant policies of your allies.
AE Wirth
Sailorman Larry

Post by Sailorman Larry »

Time out! I virtually never post on the Forum but I check it every day and this thread is doing no one any good! Ugly!! Adam, your attack is so out of line I had to post today.
Larry Hansz
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

Just saying in 5-10 years the suggestions I posted will be here, it is already happening.........https://www.gettingsmart.com/2020/02/ca ... hallenges/
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Jeff,

Online learning has its merits and place in education. This is article was written by someone who is promoting thier services. Basically a white paper to promote. AP classes have been around for years are are great SUPPLEMENT for the students who are looking for more than a traditional school can support. I can see a blend of both coming. This article also does a great disservice to many students that will become left behind if schools were to close and go to online only learning as you have suggested.

In rural and urban districts school can he a safe haven for many students. The only place they get thier meals for the day. A place to escape abusive homes. Schools serve so much more to a community than just a learning hub. Sports, socializing, clubs and community events are also vital to our kids. Selling out our kids to save on taxes just seems wrong. Teachers and support staff are important in a child's life. Distrubting our brick and mortar schools would have a devastating impact on many people both economically and emotionally. This article also does not address our special need kids that can be in a streamline school with IEPs. Many if these kids would struggle without the added support.

Homeschooling is awesome and if I had the time I would love it for my daughter. She would be a great fit. But not all students and parents have the resources or ability to do so. Online learning has a place, but not at the extreme you support.
Mike Finn

Post by Mike Finn »

Greater use of online learning does not have to mean homeschooling. Students can still come to the school, can still have guidance and instruction from teachers, including science labs etc. If the school used a mix of online learning with otherapproaches online learning might be used to create greater efficiency and learning

Right now the cost per student on Beaver Island Island is more than twice that of the most costly school districts in the fancy suburbs of Chicago and Detroit where the residents have much higher incomes. Greater use of online learning for some courses would seem to make sense in a school where there are more grades than teachers.

These past few months have caused millions to rethink working from home policies using online methods to communicate. Millions of students have tried various online methods of learning. The future of the Beaver Island economy depends on better internet access and use of internet resources. In my view, the school can improve and become more efficient by doing the same.
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Mike,

Your analysis does not work for BI Schools. BI school is the outlier when looking at statistics. The uniqueness of location, population, and climate alone would not be comparable to other districts in Michigan. The salaries and benefits are not out of line with other districts either. I encourage you to go to the schools website as i dont believe your statement about more teachers than grades is accurate either.

I agree online learning is a great tool and is part of the future. I guess the post here seem to be forgetting that the teachers here on BI do the best they can with the resources they have. I am always so impressed with the events and things that the staff and teachers do for the few kids they have. You are correct, we need both. But with that said not at the expense of the on hands learning that would be lost. Again, there is also a population that schools have that need the school to survive.

Yes, Mike internet service is huge on the island and I agree it needs to be better.

One thing I find odd is that Mike, Jeff and Adam refer to the Economy" and online learning would help. Jeff, has online shopping helped your business? The cash flow and revenue. Of course not. The teachers, admin and support staff bring families to BI too. They bring trades and businesses with thier spouses. I see time and time teachers going above and beyond with thier kids. The plays, the trips, the programs. Like I said before, I don't have a child at BI School, but if I lived here I would be grateful to know that my daughter was in a safe, loving environment. All schools have thier issues and problems, I understand. I just think that to have a conversation (or complaint) about the cost of education on BI is selling the kids here short and certainly degrading to the people that work so hard to make it a great place.

Tomorrow is the graduation drive by. Congratulations to the Sr.s who had a year like no other class before you had had. Blessings to all.