Seawall

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Pam Grassmick

Seawall

Post by Pam Grassmick »

We are so impressed with the professionalism of Ernie, Kevin, Matt, and the crew with the construction of our new seawall. The work is progressing faster than we had hoped. The results are outstanding.

We are indeed fortunate to have them on the island. Thank you all and don't forget the diving board, guys.

Pam and Brad
IMG_1966.jpg
IMG_1966.jpg (1.42 MiB) Viewed 3486 times
McGrass
medic5740

Re: Seawall

Post by medic5740 »

Thank you for your willingness to share this. Thank you for allowing me to do a little video of this process. This truly is a fascinating process, and I am happy for you getting this done to protect your shoreline and your home.

Joe Moore
olivierlecerf

Post by olivierlecerf »

diving board yes...Also how about a table/chairs overhanging the lake for the wine? Or is the deck already over the lake?? :D
jmedlin

Post by jmedlin »

Hopefully it is successful in protecting your home. However, some of these new sea walls are already failing, as seen in this video:

https://youtu.be/K47PVuw8I9I

In the words of a well known climatologist: “Mother Nature bats last.”

Just sayin'...
julesmm

Post by julesmm »

Thank you Pam and Brad for the very nice post!! The Seawall looks awesome!! Great job guys!! :D
Donna Mae

Post by Donna Mae »

Looks like this might be ocean waves. Much different sea
AEW

Post by AEW »

I remember helping the Runbergs paint and drywall your home probably about 20 years ago. I have always wondered why people on East Side drive would willingly build so close to a bluff that clearly had obvious signs of serious historical erosion patterns. When you bought the land and it had an existing seawall on it one would think it sure was a big red flag. Do you know what year the old seawall was built? I can only imagine what it looks like out at Jan Gersons house. Her house is 4 feet to the edge of the existing bluff.

To anyone who walks along the shorelines the past historical erosion and water levels all over the island are clear to see. I had several old shoreline berms on my old land on the East side of Mrs Reddings Trail. None of this is a new phenomenon. Hopefully the Zoning and Planning Commission can asses this issue and perhaps help doe eyed dreamers coming to the Island make smarter decisions about where to build on their property. But then again I remember when I served on the Planning Commission many years ago and we often had issues with a particular local builder who violated critical dune rules and other zoning ordinances often no matter what the Commiision told him (And he was an elected official of the Island).

Hopefully the property owners have taken the responsibility to be well insured also. I wish you the best.
Last edited by AEW on Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
AE Wirth
AEW

Post by AEW »

In 1913 there was a great storm that hit the Great lakes for days. 90 mph winds, 35 feet waves. Many ships lost. This will happen again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HScVJivKqu4&app=desktop
AE Wirth
jmedlin

Post by jmedlin »

Donna Mae wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:26 pm Looks like this might be ocean waves. Much different sea
If you’re referring to the video, it was filmed at Ogden Dunes in northern Indiana, on the shores of Lake Michigan...not some faraway sea.