Loy Malloy Obituary

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

napontc

Loy Malloy Obituary

Post by napontc »

Loretta â??Loyâ?￾ Loyola Malloy, 83, of Boyne City and formerly of Beaver Island, died Thursday, March 27, 2008, at her home in Boyne City. She was born April 25, 1925, on Beaver Island to Lawrence Joseph and Ethel (McDonough) Malloy. Loy graduated from Beaver Island Schools, and earned an Associateâ??s Degree in Culinary Arts. She worked as a bartender at the Shamrock and Beachcomber Bars on Beaver Island, and also worked at the Beaver Island Post Office. For the past twenty-seven years, sheâ??s made her home in Boyne City. She worked as a caregiver at the Bergmann Center in Charlevoix and donated much of her time to those in the community. Loy enjoyed walking, bingo, playing cards, and spending time with her daughter and grandchildren, especially watching them play sports. She was a good friend to all and was know as Granny by many. Loy was a devoted Catholic and attended Saint Matthewâ??s Church in Boyne City and Holy Cross Church on Beaver Island. She is survived by her daughter, Arlene Napont of Boyne City; grandsons, Anthony (Bea Grody) Napont, Craig (Crissy) Napont all of Boyne City, and Brian (Patricia Schmidt) Napont of Suttons Bay; great-grandchildren, Maggie, Zacharie, and Xander Napont. Loyâ??s brothers, Francis Brown and Robert Malloy, and sisters, Dorothy Ryan, Mary Halloran, and Bernadette Moore preceded her in death. She is survived by a brother Lawrence. Visitation will be 6-8p.m. Monday, March 31, at the Winchester Funeral Home in Charlevoix where the Rosary will be recited at 7p.m. Rite of Christian Burial will be 11a.m., Tuesday, April 1, at Saint Maryâ??s Church in Charlevoix, the Reverend Jerry Hunko officiating. Burial will take place later this spring at Holy Cross Cemetery on Beaver Island. Contributions may be directed to Arlene Napont at 324 Terrace St., Boyne City.
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

I hope that everyone who knew Loyola will post here, what an incredible character she was!! She would take you on like no one can believe!! If you were out of order in the Shamrock where she used to work it was near "Vaudville". If you were on the outs she would say, "You SUNKEN DITCH", and many more things while she was shippin' you out! And if she was on the other side of the bar, seatbelt and a hardhat was the rule!! She babysat a good many of our tribe and although it was a long time ago there are few bad memories! She had a daughter, Arlene, by our uncle and she had two strapping sons! So her legacy goes on.............LJ goes on.........it is sad that the "newbies" didn't get a chance to know her and its too bad the 700 club didn't understand then, don't know now and their children never will!! Fare thee well Loyola!!
BERNIE MILLER

loy molloy obituary

Post by BERNIE MILLER »

Seeing Loy and Archie in the front window at the Shamrock playing cribbage always used to make me smile. It was just such a part of the "normal" landscape of the island. I know she was a good friend to my Mom. She will be missed.
Judy Hansul

Loy

Post by Judy Hansul »

I am very sorry to hear of Loy's death. We always stayed in touch at Christmas. My Dad used to call her his "right arm" when she worked for him all those years at the Shamrock. Beaver Island has certainly lost another of its' colorful characters. Thanks for the wonderful memories Loyola and for always being "in my corner".
lindawearn

Loy

Post by lindawearn »

Loy always knew when all the "young wans" were born, so you didn't dare try to get a drink in the Shamrock if you weren't of age. Loy truly was a character and a kind and decent person. My sympathies to Arlene and family.

Linda Wearn
cindyr

Post by cindyr »

"God love ya, Kid", Loy would say to me, whenever we ran into each other. Like "Aloha", it worked for both hello and good-bye. Her passing brought many memories flooding back, of good and crazy old times, and too many people who are gone now, too.
Loy and I worked together at the Shamrock. She worked in the kitchen, back when it was nothing to serve a hundred people between 7AM and 2PM. One of the only times Chris Butler and I fought was when, in defense of Loy, she yelled at me for continuing to wait on customers and put in orders, when Loy clearly already had more than she could handle.
Once, out on a toot, Loy took a bad fall. She worked for two days with a concussion, before Dick Moreno insisted she let him take her to the Medical Center. Emma Jean stepped in , then, to work the kitchen until Loy was well again. It was then that we discovered that Loy had served dozens of hash brown potato patties, on a bun, with tartar sauce and lettuce, in place of the fish patties that should have gone out. I don't know if it speaks to the quality of the food or the alcohol that not a single customer noticed the mistake!
God love ya, Loy...I'll sorely miss you.
Cindy
Marie LaFreniere

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

Jerry remembers when he was still underage tipping a few and then going into the Shamrock. Loy was the only one in the bar when he walked in. She grabbed him by the arm and pulled him into the menâ??s room and dunked his head under the sink! When she was done she said â??now git!â?￾.

I remember as a teenager being able to go into the Shamrock and just hang out. If I knew Loy was working Iâ??d have second thoughts about going in as you never knew what her mood would be!

My sisters and I would only be here during the summer but Loy always knew each of our names and our ages. I always attributed it to the fact that she and my dad were 1st cousins but as Linda stated above she knew when everyone was born.

Our sympathies to Arlene and the rest of the family.

Jerry and Marie
Kim Connaghan Jones

Post by Kim Connaghan Jones »

Loy sure was a character.Glad I had the chance to know her.Rest in peace Loy.
Bern's kid

Aunt Loy Malloy

Post by Bern's kid »

Ah the memories I could share! I just don't want to get a backhand slap for opening my big mouth when next we meet.

Say Hi to Mom. You too will be remembered and missed.
sandy lodico

Post by sandy lodico »

I have many memories (mostly good) of Loy from my years working with her at the Shamrock.And a character she was!! I remember many times when someone would come in and maybe she was a little tired or not in a good mood and they would order a drink out of the ordinary, like maybe a Tom Collins or a martini or whatever and she would say, "now why the hell do you need a damn fancy drink like that, what do you really want!) as I would kind of shrink down behind the bar). I also remember as kids right up until I left home that Loy always came up to our house a week or so before Xmas and made candycane cookies for us that we all loved. I thought of her just this past Xmas as I tried to make them for my grandkids and they just were alot of work and didnt look anthing like the ones Loy used to make. Like my sister Judy said she was our dads right hand gal and he loved her dearly. My thoughts to Arlene and her grandkids. Sandy LaFreniere Lodico
BSKALA

Aunt Loy

Post by BSKALA »

My mom and dad(Frank & Stella Brown) used to take us kids up to the Beavers for vacations. Aunt Loy was always great to us kids, but you always had to tow the line. She always told us never to say "Hate", because if she would hear you she would tell you, she was going to box your ears. As a kid I don't think we really knew what that meant, but growing up and having children of our own, we all told our kids, if they said the word "Hate" Aunt Loy was going to come and box their ears! Still to this day if we hear the word hate, we all say or think the same thing, "Aunt Loy is going to box your ears!"
Our Aunt was one of a kind and was loved and will be missed by us all. May God hold you in the palm of his hand, Aunt Loy and say "Hi" to our Dad, Mom and Peter.
gail craig

Post by gail craig »

"Fifteen-two, fifteen-four, and a pair is six." Loy taught many of us who worked at the Shamrock how to play cribbage, and I always associate her with those numbers. Lots of great memories of us riding out to feed Molly after closing time and then going around the horn, getting back to town around daylight. She loved her grandkids ("my kids") and looked forward to their coming to the Island for a good bit of the summer. Eventhough we were in college, and our parents weren't on the Island, she made it clear that she had a bead on us and we had better "fly right!" God took a good one. Thoughts and prayers are with you Arlene and kids.
Bern's Kid 4

Post by Bern's Kid 4 »

Aunt Loy was the very embodiment of tough love. Every visit came with the disclaimer to, "straighten up and fly right" and, by damned, we did. Now that she's got the supreme perspective from up above, I suppose I better be sure to do just that. Say Hi to Mom for us.