WTH

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

JFPowers

Re: WTH

Post by JFPowers »

As my dad used to say "Here's the Rub" .....

Say these folks have decided to visit the northern islands of Beaver and Mackinac Island for a few days....They head to Beaver and get charged besides the regular ticket for this cooler and that cooler or whatever....... And if they brought their dog they pay for that as well.......They seem to think it is a bit over the top with the charges....But they move on and enjoy Beaver Island...

Now they pack up the same coolers and dog and head to Mackinac Island to visit for the day..... The tickets are less, well it is a shorter run, but it is a faster boat.... They are given an information brief from a crewmember. They are not charged for the coolers or the dog........ They enjoy there one visit to Mackinac..

So the folks leave curious and tell their friends of the discrepancies....

So how many millions does the Beaver Island Ferry need to get each year to make travel more affordable for the public.. One million, no wait a second million is on the way.....

Some where some how the ferry needs to be operated with the customer in mind and not the way that it is... Travel to the island on the ferry is no where near where it was 15 years ago. At some point a total reboot of the system may be in order!!
Mojave Bob

Post by Mojave Bob »

I have, on several occasions, offered the use of our BI home to friends, pastors, nieces, etc, at NO COST, and they still couldn't make it happen, because of the cost of the ferry and parking. To go out to the island for a 3-day weekend, for a family of four, with transportation, runs $435, without factoring in any housing costs, and without bringing the dreaded cooler. (for the record, I have often brought a small cooler, and have never been charged).

I think the larger point that Mister Pirate is making is that first impressions count for everything. As expensive as it is to get to the island under the best of conditions, we are already at a disadvantage in making the first impression a good one. When something goes wrong, we need to bend over backwards to correct it.

To Mr. Powers' point, we need to be taking a hard look at the overall cost of getting to the island. I don't know the answer, and don't think the forum is the place to hash that out, but the ferry operating costs change very little whether running with 5 passengers or 300, but the cost per passenger changes a great deal. We need to figure out how to run a full ferry, and then the per-passenger price can come down dramatically.
Dave P.

Post by Dave P. »

I'm just a visitor to the island, have ridden "the Boat" a few times but
fortunate enough to usually bring the plane up and spend a day.
The interesting thing is conversations with people on the island
about the boat.
It's never just " The Boat" is always "The...... %&*#@ %$#@....Boat" for
something needed by the island it doesn't seem to get much love.
Must be a reason
Dave
Richards

recent experiences

Post by Richards »

To start out I must say that I have had my own set of bad experiences in the past with BIBCO, but have seen great improvement in their customer service over this past year. Our family runs a rental management service (Richards Rental Management Services - www.beaver-island-rentals.com) that brings hundreds of families to the island every year, and Tim McQueer has been pleasant and quick to attend to any concerns that have arisen in regard to our client's needs with the boat company. I would happen to agree with the old "Chamber Guy" that if there are any concerns or injustice done, the injured party should contact Tim in the Charlevoix office. I think you will find him helpful and responsive.

Sheri Richards
Sue Avery

Post by Sue Avery »

There are a lot of new young staff over in the Charlevoix office this summer, so I am sure it was another mistake. Forrest had some friends come up and visit, and they were quite shocked about how expensive it all added up to be for their tickets and parking for a two night stay - especially since they were charged twice for parking. Thankfully they did not have to pay for any accommodations. I told them to go in and sort it out here, and I believe they did (well I hope they did). However, it did leave a bit of a sour taste, and I was quite embarrassed by it all. Mojave Bob makes some very good points, and perhaps they need to be explored, especially if the island wants to prosper. First impressions are usually lasting impressions.
K.D. McBride

Post by K.D. McBride »

The Pirate, Jeff Powers and Mojave Bob have all asked about the trend of passengers and the correlation of ticket pricing over the years, along with who tracks those statistics. The Beaver Island Transportation Authority (BITA) who primarily obtains State funding for the operation of the Emerald Isle in conjunction with the State of Michigan which owns 90% of the Emerald Isle, track those numbers month over month and year over year. I have reviewed the numbers in the past and Jeff Powers is correct that the passenger numbers have been in steady decline while tickets costs as Mojave Bob eluded to have correspondingly increased. In order for a fact based discussion working toward resolving issues facing the Boat Company(BIBCo) and the State, those actual numbers need to be presented for review.
With this reply on the BI Forum, I would ask BITA to publish on this forum, the numbers for the past 15 years to include passenger ridership and passenger fare increases with any additional comments they would like to make as a public body sanctioned by St. James Township. It is my understanding that BITA must approve passenger fare increases prior to going into effect. One of the complaints I have presented to BIDA in the past is that they obtain funding from the State of Michigan and therefore know those actual and budget numbers very well. However BITA, to my knowledge, has never asked the BIBCo for budget or actual numbers to review, allowing BITA access to BIBCo's books and complete financials for them to audit. If this is the fact, BITA is only working with one side of the business and financial equation. You can't solve problems with being blind to half the financials. If I am incorrect in my knowledge on this, I'm sure someone will post a reply correcting me and I welcome that fact for further discussion.
I believe that both parties here work with the highest of ethical standards. However, in my opinion, they need to work collaboratively with full disclosure to solve the problems facing what I believe the 15 year numbers review will disclose as decreasing passengers and increasing fares. If this be the case, it will only be a short time before either BIBCo or BITA or both will no longer exist. I do not see the State of Michigan stepping in to rescue either.
If BITA chooses not to publish the figures on this forum that I have requested by next week, I will FOIA them and publish them when I am back on the Island. The numbers will allow everyone to know the facts and make their own determination as to the short and long term viability of the life line (The Boat) for Beaver Island.
I know that several BITA Board members are avid readers and participants of this forum and will immediately see this reply and request. In fact one such board member has posted to this very thread several times.
Jeff Powers put it best, it's time to reboot the system.
Kirk D. McBride
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Mr. Mcbride, I appreciate the information. I had forgotten about the Transportation Authority and their being responsible for things like data and passenger counts. Those numbers will be beneficial for everyone to know. If memory serves me correctly and these days it is often served with a slotted spoon, St. James appoints members to the Authority's board. The boat services the entire island. Where does Peaine representation fit in? Are all the members from St. James or are there past or present members from Peaine or even from off the island? Thank you again for your assistance.
=D> =D> =D>
Skull&CrossBones
Sour grapes

Post by Sour grapes »

I believe the information on the BITA and BIBCO can be found on thier websites. BITA even has some very detailed audits and list the board members. Perhaps it would have been beneficial to look there first.

https://www.beaverislandtransportationa ... om/audits/

www.bibco.com
Sour grapes

Post by Sour grapes »

McBride was asking for BITA info and BIP was asking for who the Board was. I believe the website provides much of that information.
K.D. McBride

Post by K.D. McBride »

Sour Grapes -
Thanks for the information on the audit, a lot of good information. I believe all of it is the audit of BITA which is required of a public body. I was referring to the BIBCo sharing their audit information with BITA as BITA does with theirs to the BIBCo. To be specific on what I am requesting of BITA, it is the past 15 years numbers for passengers and fare increases year over year. I'm also encouraging BITA to require BIBCo to open their books to them and share their complete audit results.
I can't speak for the Pirate but my request for passenger numbers was based on the post at the top of this page, posted Aug 15 at 7:55pm under Post, Post Script where the Pirate asked for "who tracks the number of passengers each year?". That being BITA and hense my request to them to post the past 15 years. Not sure if he is looking for their board members but that is public information listed on BITA's website as you state.
Please let me know if you have any other questions I might clarify.
Kirk D. McBride
Sour grapes

Post by Sour grapes »

No need to clarify or recap. Just simply pointing out Board is listed on website, as is much information. Always interesting how these topics go full circle with the same few.
JonesC

Post by JonesC »

We too have had pricing discrepancies with BIBCO this summer. Lack of consistency appears to be an issue. Trying to charge us for 1/2 crate when clearly it was less than 1/4 crate. Repeated more than once. Overcharging can easily happen if one is not on top of it. In our case this has only happened with seasonal employees. Times change and prices change, this is inevitable. Due to the increased prices and ADD ONS we have chosen to fly instead. Something needs to change at BIBCO to entice more riders, reasonable prices would be a start and vague (varies) pricing needs to end. Just an opinion.

Cathy Jones
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

The Beaver Island Boat Company is the biggest rip off to Island travelers as well as Island residents. Now charging extreme freight charges to save money for another boat. 10% of a 7 million dollars boat that the State of Michigan should be owning and operating. If the state ran it which make sense because they own it I believe our fares would be much cheaper. I just paid $100.00 one way for an RTV. $100.00 for a 16’ pallet of material one way. How many people only come here once because of the ridiculous fees that have to pay to get here? Forget the next boat that you do not need and reduce the fares and freight to the visitors and residents. Do not charge for a lunch box. I have fought against this company for years with no results
K.D. McBride

Post by K.D. McBride »

We came over on the 2:30 yesterday and only had luggage, cooler and tote so put them on the rack instead of our usual quarter cage. We were there about 11am so rack was empty and no one to assist. Went in a paid for tickets and additional items. Came back at boat time to find my items scattered all over, some off the rack on the curb. Group of older tourist had no idea what to do with there luggage so I told them to put items on the rack and that would go on the boat. Still no one to assist or in sight to speak to or ask questions. Mentioned the problems at the rack with a full time BIBCo employ who said that the kids just decided to take the day off and there was no one to assist. I'm sure I was one of the few people to go to the counter and pay. The person I talked to said this has been the worst summer ever with help on the Charlevoix side. Forth of July was also a disaster with kids deciding to party instead of work with a premium. If the BIBCo and BITA think they are doing the best they can, both are living in a fantasy world with no grasp on customer service. I firmly believe that If BIBCo were not heavily subsidized by the State, as with any poorly run business, they would go under. Obviously it would be impossible for BIBCo to operate without State funding. My issue has been and continues to be that BITA and BIBCo choose not to work as partners in PLANNING, PROMOTING AND IMPROVING transportation to BI in spite of that being a part of BITA's mission as posted by MDOT.
I will contact BITA now that I'm back on the Island and get the data on passengers and fares as promised.
Kirk D. McBride
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

I think the random charging system developed by the BIBCO management of freight charges, makes it difficult for not only the customer, but also the staff attempting to carry out the policy.

It would seem that there should be a clear cut system that allows a certain amount of space to be allocated per customer to be free and included with the passage to the island. I hate to keep comparing to Mackinac but here two weeks ago I brought two coolers with food, suitcases, other boxes (9 packages in all) I was greeted by a friendly attendant who tagged my packages, gave me the stubs and helped me off load my parcels. There was no charge for any of this, or the two dogs I also brought along. They were available on the island on a cart all together and marked as I said. Compare that with the situation on Beaver. A haphazard system, one reason they may have a hard time getting help is that they are attempting to enforce a policy that is very complex and nitpicking. No one wants to be in that position of micromanaging what the customer wishes to bring along with them.

A much more simplified system is needed to assess customer charges. If they exceed space they are charged based on the extra space they take up. IF they dont, it doesnt matter what they bring they are not charged. Try it for one year, everyone will be much happier.