District basketball photos

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Frank Solle

District basketball photos

Post by Frank Solle »

Photographer Matt Davis was at the Islanders district game against Leland and has posted 18 photos of the Islanders at his web site:

http://www.shutterfly.com/progal/album. ... 42af788077

He was shooting with a nice Canon 30D equiped with a large telephoto lens. He certainly got some nice shots.

You can order prints from his site which is sponsored through Shutterfly.
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Not good, Islanders were in the 40's the other team in the 70's.
Frank Solle

Post by Frank Solle »

Ken - I was just passing along a link to some nice photos. With radio, tv, newspapers and the internet, I figured everyone would know the score (79-42). As for how the game developed and the highlights, you'll have to wait for the next Beacon.

Rich - as for "not good" the Islanders gave Leland its toughest battle of the tournament. Their average margin of victory was 42 points - yes, they were really that much better than the other teams invovled. Yet, the Islanders loss was five points lower than that. Their 42 points was 11 better than Northport's effort, and 14 better than St. Mary's. Given those results and the comments from the Leland coach, the Islanders may well have been the second best team in the field. When you figure in the Islanders shorter season (14 games vs 20 games) and, other than Mackinac Island, the weakness of their opponents in the overall scheme of things (Leland is one of two teams in a conference that consists of mostly Class C teams and one Class B team), the pressure of playing on the road in a strange gym, and the pressure of playing in a district tournament, I'd say the Islanders effort was "very good."
Sheri Timsak

Post by Sheri Timsak »

Thanks for the nice comments about the boys, Frank. I agree that they gave their all- sure they had some bad layups and passes but to get 40 points off the Leland team was amazing!!! Lelands benchwarmers were tough too so our boys never got a breather. Frank thanks also for the link to the pics - i already ordered a couple.