Article RE: N. Michigan Internet providers partnership

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

jflanagan

Article RE: N. Michigan Internet providers partnership

Post by jflanagan »

Seven Internet providers announce partnership to develop and expand high-speed Internet in Northern Michigan

http://www.petoskeynews.com/articles/20 ... 156880.txt

Sounds like a good idea. I notice they mentioned area colleges but didn't mention CMU.

Jim
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Possibly most of the CMU bio station's high bandwidth connections go to CMU proper and outside Nothern Michigan so wouldn't benefit from the new peering arrangement much? -- I don't know, just speculation on my part. As far as I know CMUBS isn't involved with Central Solutions yet at all and last spring at least, busy with the new facility, weren't feeling bandwidth starved or like they needed to make an immediate change to their existing T1 connectivity. I bet the lighthouse school and the BICS could make use of a cheaper high-bandwidth local peering setup with other Nothern Michigan entities too in the years to come. It's an interesting partnership.