Phil Becker RIP

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Marie LaFreniere

Phil Becker RIP

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

From Rach Becker...

It is with the heaviest of hearts that Ian J. Becker and I must tell you the loss of our dad, Phil Becker, this afternoon. Massive heart attack. I'm really in shock. Ian is on his way up tomorrow. Arrangements will be next summer.

Any of his vintage snowmobile friends, please share it on your site.

He loved his Portage Northern class of '72.
phil.jpg
phil.jpg (77.14 KiB) Viewed 5754 times
BI Pirate

Re: Phil Becker RIP

Post by BI Pirate »

Very sad news. Phil was a very close friend. A long time resident of Beaver Island, involved with many people and activities. I never heard Phil say "no" to any request. It's hard to believe a heart as big as his would ever give out. He holds a special place in my heart and will forever. Fare well my friend as you sail on to calmer and more peaceful waters.
Skull&CrossBones
pbona

Post by pbona »

Phil was the BEST!
Pamela

Post by Pamela »

Phil was a friend who one could always count on to help out when in need. A kind, warm hearted friend with a beautiful voice and great sense of humor.
He loved island trails and was well known for his meticulous trail grooming. It was always a pleasure to encounter him. A real loss. We shall miss him greatly. God bless you, Phil.
jmedlin

Post by jmedlin »

I am quite saddened to hear that. Phil was one of the first people I met on the island and he always remembered my name when I came back after being away for years. We also shared a hometown of Kalamazoo if I am not mistaken. My deepest condolences to his family.

Rest well my friend.

Jeff Medlin
Keith Brothers

Post by Keith Brothers »

My heart is broken from the sudden news of the death of Phil Becker. Phil and I were friends for over 30 years. I always think of him as "Mr. Beaver Island" No place had a better salesman or promoter. Phil loved snowmobiling and talking snowmobiles and vintage sleds. In fact the last time I saw him last month he was using the computer in the community center buying used sled parts. His screen saver was him and his old sled. Phil was Mr. Positive whether it was talking about working on the trails or and upcoming performance at the community center. His smile, warm greetings, willingness to join a project were beyond compare. I know the tears will pass and the lump in my throat will subside my admiration for this dear, dear friend will never fade. We will miss you Phil. There will never be another like you.
Sharolynhunter

Post by Sharolynhunter »

Doug and I are shocked and so sad to hear of Phil's passing. He was an awesome person, so upbeat. Our hearts are heavy with sadness. Condolences to his family. :(
sblanch

Post by sblanch »

We will truly miss him. He was instrumental in us buying on the island. We also enjoyed his radio program, he sure was a natural. RIP
Sharon Blanchard
medic5740

Post by medic5740 »

Phil Becker MC'd the Christmas Concert at the Beaver Island Christian Church. In his memory, the video of this concert is dedicated to Phil Becker and his family. Phil was a good friend, fellow performer, and overall good musician and actor. He will be missed. His help in a critical time in my life will never be forgotten, and I will be forever grateful for his help.

The video of the concert can be viewed here:

http://beaverislandnews.com/2018 Decemb ... ncert.html

Joe Moore
Marie LaFreniere

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

From Rach Becker regarding funeral plans for Phil.

In lieu of flowers, if you would wish to make a donation, please donate to the Preservation Association of Beaver Island. (PO Box 494, Beaver Island, MI 49782) He loved the community center so much. He volunteered, from dozens of plays, to his own Sunday night oldies show, to being the chaperone of the hang out upstairs, showing movies, and so much more.

His funeral will be June 29th at 4:00 PM at Holy Cross Catholic Church on his beloved Beaver Island. This is the usual 4:00 mass with a funeral tied in.
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

Phil Becker was my friend.
He was many people's friend and I will have to share him and his passing as a loss for the lot of us.
For well over forty years I just took it for granted that I would be seeing Phil soon after I landed on island each year.
An Island fixture? That wouldn't do justice. More like an ambassador.
Always smiling, always welcoming.
Always accommodating.
Phil once showed me a PSJ lot that was for sale at 4am in the morning.(don't ask) I bought it.
We did many projects together and I trusted him with the general care of my different cabins over the years in my winter absence.
As a painter, he was a frustrated artist. Every project deserved his minute attention.
We loved cars together. We would talk Fords and Ford Falcons in particular, for hours.
Phil Becker was my friend and I will remember him.
I will miss him.

Ian and Rachel, your dad was a gem.
If we do not all hang together,
we will all hang separately,
Ben Franklin
MikeBear

Post by MikeBear »

I'm shocked to hear this, RIP.

I was the one that Phil asked to trade a 20 acre landlocked property on Paid En Ogg's road years ago, for his 10 acres at the road. Our plans never worked out to move there permanently, and I haven't seen Phil in years, but I try to keep up on the island goings-on as much as possible.
esalveter

Post by esalveter »

I met Phil when purchasing property here in the mid 1990's. I have enjoyed his friendship ever since. I was looking forward to spending my retirement years singing with him in the choir. I was also hoping he would show me the ropes about snowmobiling on the island. I miss him.
Ed Salveter
BeaverIslandGuy

Post by BeaverIslandGuy »

Just learned of Phil's death. He was our neighbor on Maple Street and a true treasure. We will miss him dearly.