We ALL NEED DENTAL service

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

carolburton

We ALL NEED DENTAL service

Post by carolburton »

This message has been sent out via the Chamber

“The Health Center is currently in conversation with non profit Dental Clinics North to provide dental services on Beaver Island. To help us determine approximate demand we would appreciate the community’s input. If you WOULD take advantage of dental services offered on Beaver Island please call the Health Center office at 448-2275 and let us know.
Thank you!” - Connie Wojan

WE all need dental service and will use it if we can get it! I am not sure why we need to call after all of the debate this past year and the messages that it was figured out and we would have someone. So if you are concerned that they feel we don't need this service PLEASE flood their phone line if that is what it takes and call them to get this done!!!! I am sure not every one gets a Chamber note or reads the forum so spread the word. because they seem to not be sure.
burton
BI Pirate

Re: We ALL NEED DENTAL service

Post by BI Pirate »

I thought it was only Flint that had lead in the water. I'm thinking Connie might want to have Ed check their well. :shock: :wink: :roll: The island either has a dentist or doesn't have a dentist. Heck of a time to do a survey unless one is trying to justify not having a dentist. :? :? :? Why would the HC want to get new equipment if they are not sure that the island will have a dentist at all? :?: :idea: :?: Am I beginning to hear the fat lady sing, "It's Over"? :?: :!: :?:
Skull&CrossBones
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

"If you WOULD take advantage of dental services offered on Beaver Island please call the Health Center office"

In other words..we know we are contractually required by the townships to have a dentist, but we're trying our best to weasel our way out of this and we need your help.

How about calling the sheriff and telling him we're all going to behave and don't need a deputy on the island. Even though the island pays taxes and theres an expectation the island needs law enforcement, we'll call if need something.

Let's send the county snow plow back on the next boat. If we all commit to staying home when it snows we won't need one.

Come on Beaver Island why should you expect to get services promised, required or expected when you pay your taxes.
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

It is a ridiculous question!! OF COURSE WE NEED DENTAL SERVICE! Why would anyone waste their time posting this question to any site? Let's get this done!
debrob2

Post by debrob2 »

I am guessing that the reason that question is being asked is because when we did have a dentist here, many did NOT utilize the service. In my family of 5, I did. My husband and children did not. So, in my family alone, only 20% of us used the island dentist provided...for various reasons.

I do not read this as a 'we won't get a dentist based on this..." but rather a "what will that scenario look like?" If they are trying to contract with an off-island service, I would assume that whomever they contract with would want to know the answer to that. "Are we planning to need to have someone here once a week? Twice a week? or daily?"

It reminds me of the high-speed internet question when we were all told to call and tell them that yes, we do want high-speed internet and would be willing to use it. No one had any qualms about calling for that reason. And I would assume it was posed by our Internet Carrier for the same reason the BIRHC is posing this question to us now, in regards to dental service.

Thank you for bringing this question forth though, as I had not yet seen it posted. I will call on Monday.
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Mrs. Roberts, I don't disagree with you over the purpose of the survey. My concern is why wouldn't the reason for the survey be more clearly stated on the survey letter or publicly? Why wouldn't the HC want as wide a survey as possible meaning all residents, both summer and permanent, along with even visitors? A service provider should serve all the people and all year round. Last but no least, what the hell does the Chamber have to do with dentist survey or the HC? ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Thank you for calling on Monday, I'll be right behind you with a call. :!: :!: :!:

Something doesn't pass the smell test here. :-? :-? :-?
Skull&CrossBones
Beaver Bump

Post by Beaver Bump »

I am thinking the chamber doesn't have anything to do with the survey but that they were just passing word along because Connie put on the message board of the chamber to help get the word out, thank you chamber for helping to spread the word. I think the survey is a good idea because whoever the new dentist will be they will want to know how many days a month to be here. I am not going to judge how the HC is getting their information or how they are getting any of this done, just grateful they are doing it.

I will call Monday and let them know that I will be using them I can't wait for the dentist to get here to fix my front teeth.

Your right Pirate I can smell you from here!
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Here is the solution. Find a dentist that is also a sheriff and can drive a snowplow!!!
TAX SAVINGS!!!
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

Sheriff with a snowplow in the morning. Dentist in the afternoon.....I think you're on to something. I know in Chicago they put snowplows on the garbage trucks. As long as the garbage truck is driving around picking up trash have them move the snow at the same time. :D
carolburton

Post by carolburton »

This was just meant to inform a wider population that the health center was again asking for who would use the dental service.

As there was not a lot of context in the request from the Health Center I am concerned that we are back to starting over even though the need has been greatly expressed by many. Even if the (Dentist or staff) came one day a week or month like the other doctors I am sure it would be a full schedule. It was assumed from the past messages put out that we would already have this service back on the island.

There was a free program that came and did exams for a majority of students at the school last year set up by our principal (greatly appreciated). We were sent follow up reports as to what our children needed. I was hoping that we would be able to schedule appointments with them by now. I do not have dental insurance so paying the flights off and giving up a day of work is a significant extra cost over the dental work.

My request is to please call in an express your need if any for dental service so that we do not put this on the back burner any longer. They need to know we will certainly use this service and if a phone call is what it takes please do it!
burton
steveandelaineonbeaver

Post by steveandelaineonbeaver »

Carol Burton is indeed wise in suggesting that folks contact the BIRHC and advise them that you would be a likely patient of new Island based dental services. contactus@biruralhealth.org 231.448.2275

The “doesn't pass the smell test” foolishness is very sad. Some folks have no shame.

Re: Donations - Folks there is nothing tricky here. Donations that are restricted are accepted. Sooooooooooo simply writing a check to BIRHC with the dental clinic restriction clearly delineated would be nice and helpful. Forum key pounding isn’t.

The next board meeting is currently slated for Sat Sept 22nd. Time is provided for thoughtful public comment.

The BIRHC saved my life. I’m a fan.

My name is Steve West and I approved this message – in fact wrote it.
:D
Last edited by steveandelaineonbeaver on Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve and Elaine West
20 Southern Oak Dr
Camden SC 29020
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Chamber Guy, You didn't have to declare you wrote the above post. I knew right away it was you when you misquoted me. (The "smell a rat" foolishness is very sad. Some folks have no shame.) You could write tweets for the president and be about as accurate. SAD. My statement above was, "Something doesn't pass the smell test here." :? :? :? and I stand by that statement. But you are absolutely correct that I have no shame. What the hell, if we had shame we won't be pirates, we'd be newspaper editors. Na, that might not be the best example.
I assume you are running the HC's dental fund raising campaign by directing the designation for donations. Will be anxious to hear a financial report on September 22.
Let me end with, I won't hold it against the HC for saving your life but will continue to lob cannon balls if the HC doesn't commit to have a dentist and dental equipment before the boat stops running. Enough is enough with a full year of no dentist that the HC is contractually required to provide.
Got rum in the mug anytime you want to come visit me on Whiskey Island or bring your own hooch, enough to share. :lol: :wink: :lol:

My name is the BI Pirate and I shamelessly stand by that moniker.
Skull&CrossBones
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Kind of threatening "Pirate" do you have your round ball revolver loaded as well?
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

Interesting discussion I can tell you from helping Dr White fill out the yearly encounter report that the BIRHC required of her that she saw approximately 400 patients per year. This included the many dental emergencies in the summer and her oral health exams often was the first line in discovering growths or other medical abnormalities in the mouth. ( I corrected my post based on info from the med center

Applying the formula that Deb Roberts provided saying that Dr White only saw 20% of the island population, then the demand for dental services on Beaver Island would be approximately 2000 visits per year potential visits per year.

Dental health often leads to findings of other diseases such as Cardiac disease, kidney disease, liver disease, cancer and many other conditions. Untreated dental abscesses are a common cause of heart valvular disease.
Last edited by JFPowers on Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
K.D. McBride

Post by K.D. McBride »

The lack of an Island dentist for over a year is not the result of incompetent boards, it's a result of the inaction by the people who deserve better. Something that Ken Taylor was willing to provide with his pledge challenge in addition to continued funding of flights to the mainland for dental care. Not having a dentist is not solely the fault of the Beaver Island Rural Health Center Board but also shared equally with Peaine and St. James Township boards. If people who are genuinely concerned about the lack of a dentist would show up at these board's public meetings and demand the service of a dentist as stated in the contractual agreement between the townships and BIRHC, there would be a dentist on the Island by now. I'm not proposing showing up with pitch forks and torches but with a voice united in numbers demanding accountability and responsibility for providing services that local tax dollars provide for to the townships and in turn the HC.

There could have been uninterrupted dental service without skipping a beat after the departure of Dr. White if the BIRHC Board and townships had been accountable and responsible to the tax payers and patients. Dr. White's equipment, which was very adequate for her services, is still in storage on the Island. The HC obviously didn't want to purchase the equipment but the board could have offered to leave it in place at the HC and lease it until a new dentist arrived. That would have allowed a dentist or various dentists to come to the Island and provide services in the meantime for the past year. When a dental provider is selected, new equipment can be obtained at that time and Dr. White's equipment placed in storage or shipped to the mainland. The BIRHC and townships have not placed your dental care as a priority high on their list of needed medical care and to me that is unacceptable. If I were on the Island, I would go to the meetings starting with the BIRHC meeting Saturday, Sept 22nd, and demand an explanation. Hold them accountable and responsible and don't accept anything less for an answer. You deserve better. Make your needs, their priority.

Thank you Ken Taylor for all you have done and continue to do in spite of your antagonists.
Kirk D. McBride