We Made The Wall Street Journal

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

George Caitlin

Post by George Caitlin »

I agree with you, Mr. Gillespie, that when John Engler is of the correct age he should not collect a pension; after all, all he did for 32 years was live off the public payroll. Even worse, three weeks after his term in the governor's office ended, he left town for Virginia, which is where he prefers to spend his money.

(As far as being old, Mr. Gillespie, that is an area of weak ice you are skating on.)
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

I've been on weak ice before!! I am not knocking any state employee or individual person, I am knocking the system that has slowly grown into something that exceeds the private sector by more than just incidental amounts, that creates an uneven playing field. Sooner or later we reach a breaking point, I feel that we are there!
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

Richie and friends,
After following this thread for a few days now, I am not sure what it is we are all complaining about??.
Note: being self employed, my marginal tax rate is 42% , so I assume that I am paying my fair share.

As the late Texan collumist Molly Ivins use to say," You've got to dance with them who brought you to the party!"
The system as you put it Richie, is doing exactly what it was designed to do....represent those who payed attention and payed the money to get their person elected to the State house, Washington or the White House. We have the best Congress that money can buy.

I have always admired the Englsh for their electoral process in that they only allow a certain amount of time to campaign before an election (weeks, not years), control the amount of money that can be spent (all public), "give away" free time on BBC for the candidates to use, sponsor debates and then quickly wrap it all up. ( "Hmm, Quite right, jolly good show, carry on, and back to work lads" ). No, it's not perfect, but it does produce politcal parties that actually have grass root representation capabilities and propel actual different agendas. That, in contrast to our system, one that merely produces one political party called the Incumbent Party

So, putting my money where my mouth is, would I give, lets say $50 or even $500, to have my views actually listened to? My views represented and acted on according to the percentage of persons who think like I do and NOT have to endure a years long constant campaign, paid for by a lobbyist system that definitely does not have MY best interests or the Country's as a whole, on their agenda? Short answer, "Yes".

Long answer is that the average citizen, when asked the question about the choice of a close and personal fiscal representation system, (they would first, of course, resent having their attention taken away from the latest season of "Dancing with the Stars") will dogmatically state they wouldnt want their money being given to any "lousy politician". Then, in turn, will complain that they are not being properly represented. Well, they are absolutley correct!

The politcians are busy dancing with those who brought them...
The State employee unions, the car manufacturing lobby(watch the movie, "Who killed the electric Car?), The Attorney's Guild, the telecommunications lobby, the Sierra Club, the energy lobbyists, Teamsters, U.S. Chamber of Commerce(my guys), U.A.W., Prison employees union (the most powerful union here in California)

So we ask how can the politicians get away with voting themselves great golden parchute benefit packages? Because the people who actaully got them elected have no problem with it, they are busy folding their own chutes.

Our Representatives' dance cards are quite full.......

George Caitlin

Post by George Caitlin »

" I am not knocking any state employee or individual person...

Actually, Mr. Gillespie, yes you were; let me remind you:

Quote: 1. Gov. Granholm is the 3rd highest paid Gov in the country at $177,000 in salary. This does not count her $60,000 expense account. Only the Gov. of New York and California make more than her!

Quote: 2. Gov. Granholm's husband has 3 assistants paid by the state. The highest paid assistant makes $117,000 a year.

If you only meant the governor's office, why did you mention this specific governor by name? I have not heard any negative comments from you about Virginia Johnny spending his Michigan pension in the sunny south.
    Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

" I am not knocking any state employee or individual person..."

Are you sure your last name is not "Carlin"?? :lol: The Governor is an elected official, not an employee, at least thats what they were teaching when I was in school!! As for Engler, the only thing I can say is that at least he showed up on Beaver Island, she is obviously too self consumed to do so.............
    TjD

Another Example: state Legislature's failure

Post by TjD »

"Hillary Clinton and Mitt Romney are discovering what everyone else in the state knows all too well: The Michigan Legislature couldn't organize a broom closet."
    http://www.mlive.com/news/statewide/ind ... xml&coll=6

$10 million dollars for a primary that was intended to boost Michigan's role in the presidential selection processes down the toilet.
    George Caitlin

Post by George Caitlin »

"As for Engler, the only thing I can say is that at least he showed up on Beaver Island, she is obviously too self consumed to do so............."

And I am sure Engler used state tax dollars to pay for his visit to the island.

Thanks John....for nothing.