FOR A CONSOLIDATED BEAVER ISLAND TOWNSHIP

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Beaver Island Gardens

Re: FOR A CONSOLIDATED BEAVER ISLAND TOWNSHIP

Post by Beaver Island Gardens »

Island Living. Historically speaking taxes gravitate in only one direction. Upwards.Your argument is invalid. In civil society taxes are levied by vote towards the good of all those who pay them. If you want taxes to return to the last century’s markers then your going to have to expect that same level of service. Do you want to tear down the Clinic,the school, the airport ,the library ,the community center ,the fire station? The Island built many fine institutional structures during the last boom. We’re in the bust years now. Saddle up and vote for a brighter future.We need better management of what we’ve got to work with. Vote yes ,please.
treehugger

Post by treehugger »

John: Your scare tactics about taxes are beginning to fall on deft ears. Vote for Consolidation. Taxes are determined by the voter and can go up or down according to the voters. You continue to mouth what your sisters, cousins, inlaws and brother. How about those of us not related to you? Vote consolidation.
anonymous
Ron Wojan

Post by Ron Wojan »

Whoops, Richie, Please switch my post to the Against Consolidation. I was responding to the letter on the Pro side and got in the wrong place. Sorry.
Ronald L. Wojan
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

I emailed it back to you.
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

The final interviews on WBVI regarding the consolidation can be found here: https://wvbi.biccenter.org/podcasts
James Bakker

Post by James Bakker »

Here is another story. If one doesn't read and understand history we are bound to repeat. Just 10 years ago, banks, made up of bankers (like Bill Kohls) nearly completely destroyed our economy and drove us into a recession. Now you are banking (no pun intended) on the advice of one of those bankers. Will we ever learn? Consolidation is a must.
Ron Wojan

Post by Ron Wojan »

Mr. Bakker, Please see my reply on the against consolidation thread.
Ronald L. Wojan
carolburton

Post by carolburton »

Please take this survey and then look at the results. Might surprise you what people have to say from what looks like an even amount of voters from each township. People are speaking up for what they want. Are we listening?

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/7S9MFSY

https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-3V87Q5GVL/

I should add that it will only let you take it once.
Last edited by carolburton on Sat May 05, 2018 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
burton
BobTidmore

The Island of today, not 20-years ago

Post by BobTidmore »

Last week I attended the monthly Charlevoix County Planning Commission meeting and during some informal conversations the other members discussed the recycling program operated by the county and also the parks that are managed by the county including one with a DNR boat launch. The county funds all these yet not here on Beaver Island.

One more item to consider. Bay Township (Northern Charlevoix County) just completed a survey of it residents to ascertain how well the citizens feel about the services the township provides and solicit input on future needs. One question posed “Do you have children in your household under the age of 18”. A full 84% answered NO. They like us and many other Northern Michigan communities are in serious trouble because of the lack of young people and an aging population.

We currently have an unnecessary extra government entity to be dealt with thereby complicating efforts to address issues such as economic development and getting more than our fare share of our tax monies sent to Charlevoix County.

Consolidate the townships to allow this island to better deal with complicated issues of today, not the island of 20-years ago.

Bob Tidmore
26025 Main Street
Beaver Island MI
Ron Wojan

Post by Ron Wojan »

Well said Bob. that is all useful and important information. I admit that two townships can be awkward but I see no evidence that the two are slowing us down. Either township is free to push your good ideas. I do think it's dangerous , however to put all the control with one board. A strong, anti development supervisor or a supervisor that wants to pave every road on the Island , or one that refuses any more projects of any kind could be detrimental. It happened in Cross village. They have nothing to speak of. We, however , have been a progressive community. Just look at everything that has been accomplished. Perhaps it's a good thing that we don't move into the future too fast. Isn't that part of what people love about the Island -that we're not like everyone else ? People love it that (we )are like Northern Michigan used to be like 20 years ago. We can't change the governance of the Island in the manner that this is currently being done. Forced upon some people. There will be too many hurt feelings and resentment. I could see doing it if there had been proper meetings and real facts and then let the voters decide. Knowing for sure what it would cost them and all consequences - good and bad. That's not the case with this consolidation attempt.
Ronald L. Wojan
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

They only like it until they find out how much their taxes are, how out of step we are, disorganized, and then they sell. Time to get the island house in order, VOTE YES ON CONSOLIDATION!
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

I posted this to the thread Angel started but wanted to share it on the FOR page. Partially in response to Supervisor Kohls and his wife.

If anything you two might have been the best advertisement for one township. You've done NOTHING but bash the idea from the start and have NEVER, EVER given one bit of commentary on any positive aspects. That is commonly known as a telling.

Obviously, Ron believes you have made significant contributions, where are they? I recall urgently contacting you when King's Highway was to be replaced to get a application in for bike path money late or not. You dismissed it out of hand that it was too late and so on. It's never too late to try. When the project for the highway was on the list for the coming year my "friends" on the county board asked me if we/they could put it off for 5 years I absolutely rejected the notion out of hand! If we had not had representation we'd still be driving on the same rockpile. Of course we try! Never give up. I learned a lesson there.

Plenty of dialogue has been shared, Angels budget was bashed from moment one. If you were such a great CFO why didn't you come forward and help polish the document instead of spitting on it from the start. Your wife sniffles about her kids buying land because they didn't want St. James property! Those are called subdivisions! In fact, a good many Port St. James lots exist in Peaine along with many many other subdivisions so that doesn't stack. Negativity, that's all you've brought to the table and with hope, the voters will see through it!

Neither of you have made ANY points on the great reasons to remain Peaine except selfishness and pig headedness. People have to reinvent themselves from time to time and do bold things, you've offered nothing. This isn't just about money. I've said to many friends and relatives over many years, "Would you spend 100 dollars for better governance, organization and more progress for Beaver Island?" There was never a no!

You changed the argument to saving Peaine, the debate was about saving Beaver Island. If you do save Peaine it's another nail in the coffin of the island as a whole but, again, it's all about Peaine. For what it's worth I'm pretty ashamed of my St. James relatives who were born and lived most of their lives there before moving outside that township. It's like they turn their backs on a birth right but alas, it is what it is.

We stand to gain ground with the mainland combined, divided we are ineffective and don't have a common thread to share when we might make a stand and "brag" about the size and need of our township with 8+ islands and an enormous amount of State land that needs management and support (money).

Plenty more to say but I'm sure the voters will do now what they will do and hopefully they will do the right thing and merge these townships. This could only be regarded as a failed experiment. I call it 100 years of the slowest progress I could name! We are losing our base, young people, we have nothing to give them, a future, and if we do we are taxing them and others to death! Why don't people care about this?

Instead of a willingness to join together to attempt a savings you painted a picture that nothing can be done. Your are right, "A house divided cannot stand". You just might get your way! The people FOR ONE TOWNSHIP did so because they saw and they knew and know that we are going nowhere! Beaver Island voters, do the right thing, vote for one government on Beaver Island, we have to try something else, the time has come.

The majority of all of us debating this question will be retired soon or are. Think about the future. We will all save money and have a better opportunity for the young and the islands future!

ONE ISLAND-ONE TOWNSHIP-VOTE YES ON CONSOLIDATION!
Darby Campbell

Post by Darby Campbell »

As many of you know we were going to retire on Beaver Island but have made the decision not to in part because of what is playing out with the consolidation issue among others. I have received many messages from, for a lack of better term, "Islanders" thanking me for attempting to address some of the problems facing the island and its future. A comment received this morning was that Mr. Kohls represents the leadership of the island of some 30 years ago. It didn't matter what the issue was that might change or improve conditions, the answer was always the same, "NO", unless. Back then there were a handful of individuals who made all the decisions regardless of what many of the Islanders wanted. They controlled the township boards, they controlled the island. It seems that Beaver Island has reverted back to the "good ole days" which now appear not to have been that good. I am paraphrasing my message from this morning but I believe the point is an important one.
DC
Wkohls

Post by Wkohls »

Mr. Campbell . . .

Thanks for your post. I have also received a number of messages from friends, one of which reads . . .

"The 2018 attempted Coup d’ etat ends on May 8th. All should remember who the leaders were - they don’t have power – they want it. Scares me! It comes down to who do you trust . . . the concept of one township has some merit. Perhaps in the future when it’s proposed by trustful leaders I could become a yes vote. Voting NO on the 8th."
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Another lie! Not one member of the pro committee seeks township office!