Peaine Township Vision for the Future

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Wkohls

Re: Peaine Township Vision for the Future

Post by Wkohls »

Hey, Bob . . .

Thanks for your post. Perhaps you were unaware that the boat launch was addressed at our meeting in January 2018. So . . . did you do any due diligence?

Rich . . .

With all due respect, this game of gotcha does not serve your purposes and I would be interested to know how this serves the best interests of the Island.

People who have served and currently serve the township are opposed to conolidation . . . given the absence of any rational case for consolidation, that seems consistent to me.
Attachments
Minutes 1.2018.png
Minutes 1.2018.png (101.92 KiB) Viewed 16162 times
BobTidmore

Post by BobTidmore »

Thanks Bill

I was not referring to Wagner but the offer to help purchase docks for Lake G and Fox which is what the start of this thread was all about, see below.

As President of the wildlife club we have repeatedly offered to pay for small fishing docks at Lake geneserath and Fox Lake. We have been ignored. What is your vision for these and other township resources such as the Wagner campground boat launch. We have sought to improve these resources as so many visitors and residents alike have asked for these improvements.

Bob Tidmore
Andy's Grooming Barn

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

Richie,

The post below is what you put out about Kitty and the news letter that she puts out. Now it is okay for her to talk to the St. James township attorney about consolidation for the pro party and for her to put it out in her newsletter to tax payers but when Bill is working in his office and a tax payer comes in to ask questions it isn't okay for him to lay it out on a township white board???? This is part of his job, tax payers came to him he is suppose to answer their questions. Again you guys are trying to grasp at straws to distract the tax payers, you would hate to just give them facts. All of you should be ashamed of yourself for all of the dirty underhanded ways you have acted, for one I can't tell you how many of the posts get deleted by Richie if he doesn't agree with them. Great way for you to mislead the public.

You have now tried to talk about the cleaning position I got and the pay, the dock at fox lake, the dock and Bill Wagner camp ground and on and on but none of this has anything to do with consolidation and whether it is the best thing for the tax payers, just the same group of trouble makers mudding the waters.

Turns out Kitty publishes a monthly newsletter and someone notified me where to find it, here is her discussion with the attorney:

"Township Consolidation
I want to make you aware of a recent conversation with our attorney. I emailed
the following questions to attorneys Bryan Graham and Peter Wendling: “As the
discussion about township consolidation continues, I have been asked what the
likely cost is of legal fees for making the transition from two to one
township. I'm sure it would be hard to nail down concisely, but is there a likely
range? Also, as our attorneys, do you see any real big problems that the
consolidation might cause for our township? I would like to have a conversation
with one of you about this.”
Attorney Bryan Graham and I had a phone conversation on March 20th. Here are
my notes:
 Brian indicated that biggest and most important first thing would be to make
sure that the Zoning Ordinance is solid as that is the most likely first place a
township would have an issue. Since we already have joint Zoning Ordinance
and common Master Plan, this would be simpler to revise than two
completely different ordinances. Creating a new Planning Commission
would be top priority, he thought.
 Ordinances of both townships would have to be reviewed; he stated that
current ordinances would still apply to the geographic areas they cover until
revised ordinances are adopted. He thought that regardless of whether the
townships merge, this might be a good time to review all ordinances and
bring them up to date.
 He indicated that the main reason for legal services is for zoning and
ordinance, and bringing authorities, commissions and committees into legal
compliance.
 Brian’s guess is this may cost approximately $5,000 / rate is $160.00 per
billable hour which would be approximately 31 hours. It could amount to
more, but he couldn’t think of any reason it would go above $20,000.00
which would be 125 hours of legal work. "
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

The only thing "revealed" in that email is a group of people who have a lot of history and experience on this island. They are successful, well educated people who should be listened to!!! This is just Gillespie and crew trying to make something out of nothing...

VOTE NO ON CONSOLIDATION!!
steveandelaineonbeaver

Post by steveandelaineonbeaver »

Both Sides – Yes & No – Concisely Presented.

May Issue NorthernIslander

Editorials Welke & Kohls - page 4
The Ballot & those running for coordinating committee page 15

NorthernIslander asked an individual on both sides of the issue for their written comments for publication, gave them a deadline and a ballpark word count. Neither saw the other’s editorial piece prior to submitting their article. We thank both Angel Welke and Bill Kohls for participating and for their thoughtful comments.

Elaine West, Publisher
Steve West, Business Manager
Steve and Elaine West
20 Southern Oak Dr
Camden SC 29020
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Andy, this may miss it's mark but there is a difference in seeking counsel from the township attorney and an elected Supervisor counseling the general public in ONE'S opinion, why a public vote should be no as Bill has done all winter. Biased, selfish and out of order. Big difference! Redundant posts will be removed (as always).
Andy's Grooming Barn

Richie,

First of all some of those posts were not redundant but first you tell us to respond on the same thread then you remove because we are not responding on the no thread if you didn't like what was said.

The tax payers came in and ask questions, he isn't counseling them as an attorney but answering their questions, he is obligated as THEIR supervisor to do so. Asking St. James attorney questions to help with pro consolidation is completely different in my opinion. I guess I would wonder did your committee pay for the counseling from the St. James attorney or did that come out of tax payer money? This wasn't stated in the news letter that you posted Richie or it wasn't stated on the budget from the committee when you put it on the forum.
Andy Kohls
kathleen mcnamara

Post by kathleen mcnamara »

Just a quick note of clarification about my contact to the township attorney regarding potential costs. I did not make the contact on behalf of the pro consolidation group but to get general information and to ask if there were other concerns our board should be thinking about. I shared the notes of that phone conversation with our township board members in a document that I send to them as part of the board packet each month. The board packet documents also get posted on our township website for the public to see. I have kept the St James Township board informed of any informational posts I have made on this forum.
Kitty McNamara
kittym@tds.net
Andy's Grooming Barn

I do understand what you are saying Kitty but I don't think you understand the point I was trying to make.

Richie criticizes Bill for answering questions to the tax payers that came into HIS OFFICE, which I know you have probably done yourself, but it is okay for you to contact the township attorney to gather information that is then used on the committee's budget. This wasn't me judging what you did, do what you feel is best to represent your tax payers, this is me trying to explain that Richie will question and try to make Bill look bad for doing his job but there was no question on your actions because the committee wanted to use the information.

Again just Richie trying to cover the true facts.
Andy Kohls
Jimmy McCafferty

Post by Jimmy McCafferty »

A phone conversation has no merit, nothing written and pure hearsay. A letter from the St. James or Charlevoix attorney will have some merit. If someone ask me for a price to do a job without a contract or a written estimate it has no merit. The St. James attorney will tell you anything he wants because he will profit by it. I can say attorney fees will exceed $100,000.00 dollars. Does not mean anything because I cannot prove it.

The true cost of consolidation is what concerns voters the most. If a discussion and cost analysis of this was done openly I think consolidation could have been successful. Trying to force the issue without debate is irresponsible. Non voting tax payers have the most to lose.
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Pro consolidation advocates had a forum, you did not show. Where is any other forum to show the excellence of leaving this archaic system in place, list the good points not the poo, we've heard enough family defence stuff. And poo!
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Andy, you tire me like a golden pup, you don't give a darn what I say! I submit that you in Peaine pounced on this because you felt whatever little power there might be could be taken away, apparently but NONE OF YOU, EVER took a proactive stance in what Beaver Islands best long term interests might be, you don't care! I have had some cousins make some totally irrational statements about this "reunion" of ONE ISLAND! They live for today, I live for history, not today AND the future, you obviously have not given that a thought, neither have my selfish live for the minute cousins! MY STAND IS FOR BEAVER ISLAND! Not a ridiculous township line, it's an island! My father a great American and Irish American patriot fought for this in the fifties, it was over petty salaries! It still is! This is about the islands future, not a couple years. You have made plenty of comments but none qualify to make the history that will keep this place going! And to my defiant cousins, friends and relatives, some of you left here for more than thirty years, contributed NOTHING while gone and tell me you know what's best! Some of you say your elder said NEVER! They're gone, we are here to run the show!! What the hell is the matter with all of you? This is not about you! It's about when we are all gone! "Leave them in a fight is it?" Or better yet, "It's about me!" Shame on you! Weak! Let's leave a legacy behind we can be proud of! You that worry about your little selves should be so ashamed. My father brought electricity AND the telephone to Beaver Island! Humble, uncomplicated, 4th grade education but to this day could outthink all of you! None of you nay sayers bring shit to the table, you elderly people who think you are saving something are doing nothing but playing or being played by a ridiculous notion! This place will not survive! Quit worrying about yourselves or the Duffy's of the world that have EVERYTHING to say but now leave to survive. Quit being shallow, the place is dying! Few babies! 44 children in the school. THINK! Mike, that includes you! I have no horse politically in this argument, I can't convince one of our children to stay despite a great legacy because of the acrimony, sad! Please do not consider your short time here, consider the future! VOTE YES!
duffer

Post by duffer »

i myself am not for consolidation on advice from an attorney that not only has land here but also does just that job. he could actually get the job of doing the work but has told me we have a bigger voice by being 2 twp when dealing on county matters he has many other reason's to not join them. i also posted a fact and see it was taken down and it was a TRUE fact but i see people don't like facts, i know the simple life crew has wanted to help with such docks. once again ill ask how the joining twp will affect the township air port. also like starting a business it will cost more than you think or plan and always does. either way lets get it right, tired of the cronyism that does go on here. you want valuable people input then shun them when they do. maybe we should put an age limit to those in office many retired people who don't need the jobs, and young needing them. maybe the breath of fresh air is what this island needs!
duffy
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

It certainly does need a breath of fresh air and the last thing we need is the inherent delays of two township boards meeting one day apart every month on the same issues that affect the entire island! Secondly, why do you keep asking about the airport? Is this another negative that the committee against has injected into their plot? The township airport which I wholeheartedly support, will continue to run and be there for as long as there are people. When you accept state and federal funds for improvements you create an obligation to keep it going so I would say that is the biggest moot point in this discussion. Sadly it must be another poker chip in the negative rhetoric to make things look bad.

The real truth is that there is no good reason for two complete sets of everything for approx. 600 registered voters! If this were anywhere near Eaton County or Lansing the state would have forced it long ago!We all need to work together to save money and make a smoother path for the young and those interested in visiting or moving to the island ](*,) Your lawyer friend, and I know who it is, doesn't live here every day or his opinion might change drastically! Look ahead, not backward Duff, this place is dying, very few young staying!

PLEASE BE SENSIBLE FOLKS, ONE ISLAND-ONE TOWNSHIP! The historical reason there were two should be left there, just as there once was three! I believe the intelligent thing would be to make the Peaine Township Hall the Beaver Island Township Hall and start reducing costs right there!

PLEASE VOTE YEST ON CONSOLIDATION!
Andy's Grooming Barn

Richie,
you are so involved in the island and what goes on with it that you state, "two township boards meeting one day apart every month on the same issues that affect the entire island!" They do not meet one day apart every month or cover the same issues every month. Obviously you don't know when the meetings even are, when was the last time you went to a meeting? Heck when you were commissioner how often did you go to meetings on the island so you were aware of what was going on....if you cared you would be more involved.

As for Duffy he isn't asking questions as a committee member but as a voter (shame on you for just making that assumption and because you thought he was on the committee means you shouldn't bother with him), it is sad that this is the way that you treat people when you are trying to get them to vote in your favor, you should be doing your best to answer his questions with facts instead of making accusations towards him.

Then there is the statement you made, "If this were anywhere near Eaton County or Lansing the state would have forced it long ago!", please provide the state laws that say that because that isn't how our government works that is why we are voting on this now..............

You need to stop talking opinions and try some facts, I will be looking forward to that state law getting posted on the forum.
Andy Kohls