AGAINST A CONSOLIDATED BEAVER ISLAND TOWNSHIP

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Gillespie

Re: AGAINST A CONSOLIDATED BEAVER ISLAND TOWNSHIP

Post by Gillespie »

More appropriately, has this person even been here? The township attorney who gave the estimate has been involved here for at least 20 years.
Andy's Grooming Barn

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

Richie,
On Duffy's post earlier he states this:
"I have a very good friend who is a state attorney and i am having him look into this so that i can get the affects of taxes, responsibilities and weather it betters eithers bottom line." "Ill keep the faith and feed people information as get it from my good friend, he is a property owner here and also has concerns. don't fix whats not busted is sometimes the best choice."

So clearly he has been here, owns property and is pretty aware of what is going on as he does have skin in the game. Does St. James attorney own property here as well?
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Missed that!
beaverman

Post by beaverman »

Bill/Carla: Explain to me how a political sign can be posted in a public building. There is/was a NO Consolidation at Fresh Aire at the public airport. That is a not legal. Carla/Bill. You are responsible for the Air Port along with Elaine West the chairperson of the airport committee. Get on it.
duffer

Post by duffer »

funny as i listen to the discussions on the wvbi channel ill clear something up that i found a laugh,,,, ANGEL WELKE SAYS SHE HAS BEEN HERE 20 years ENNNNNT wrong i been here since 2001 she came after me did not live here in the first place,,, if just coming to visit makes it that you lived here i guess i been here for 47 years. i guess thats politics you just can't tell the truth??? just an observation!
duffy
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

So all you were looking for were errors Duff? Interesting, did you listen to the rest of the presentation?
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

I listened to all of it, as probably Duffy did. All I heard was a lot of "we don't know" "I would have to check on that" "those are estimates"....all in a very short presentation. Not much concrete information.
Owen

Post by Owen »

:-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|=
Wkohls

Show me your math

Post by Wkohls »

On April 24th, Richie told me, "Bill, please answer a question on the thread it's placed on thanks!"

On May 1st, he writes, “Stop posting your BS rhetoric to my page without answering my questions, a thread was made for that!”

In reality, it’s Richie that doesn’t want to answer questions and he deleted this post . . .

Rich . . .

Stay on point.

You (Rich) said, “The pack of lies being spread about the realities of consolidation are probably the most difficult thing to accept. The savings have been proven, only to have the Peaine Supervisor decry them by posting his own numbers, but few, in an attempt to confuse the issue (and you have).”

Specifically, what do you believe is a lie?

You (Rich) asked, “What is an arbitrary reduction, wouldn't all reductions be made in an arbitrary way? These reductions were made in a logical way leaving a 200,000. dollar surplus but you spit on that. You have no substantive reason to argue those numbers other than your "sky is falling" rhetoric!”

Arbitrary is when the budget assumes a $129,000 decrease in funding without explanation. Why is the reduction is appropriate? Yes, EMS will have a $200,000 cash balance at March 31st, but taxes are collected in the fourth quarter of the fiscal year. Cash will decline to only $50,000 at December 31st. Is that an unreasonable amount given the unpredictable cash flows associated with insurance reimbursements? How will the ESA fund the acquisition of new ambulances and other equipment?

So, take a few minutes and explain why slashing funding for EMS by $129,000 is not arbitrary.

You (Rich) also said, “Peaine property owners are NOT going to pay higher taxes! This had been proven until you created hyperbole suggesting it may not. But we all will save money, again, not a concern of yours.”

Your budget’s so-called “proven” decrease in spending and taxes is predicated on irresponsible decreases in funding for EMS. In the absence of that $129,000 decrease in EMS funding, Peaine township property owners will pay higher taxes. (That’s the math, based on your busget.)

So, you can either admit that a) Peaine township property owners will pay higher taxes, or b) ambulances and other EMS equipment will last forever (or, new equipment will fall from the sky.) Show me your math!
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

in 2004 a new fire truck fell from the sky.
Andy's Grooming Barn

K.A. Pike,

I take it from this comment you are planning to donate an ambulance within the next year?
Andy Kohls
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

If those that love Beaver Island, both property owners and those of us that only visit each summer, saw true fiscal responsibility by the elected township officials, there wouldn't be a consolidation issue on the ballot and there would be more donations like the fire truck in 2004. For too long it's been business as usual and so here we are today.

For those of us that can't vote, we can only hope that those that have been in a position to make changes and didn't have taken inventory of their actions and realize they have no one to blame but themselves that the consolidation issue is even here. The bottom line is business as usual isn't working and consolidation is a valid alternative.
Andy's Grooming Barn

Wow you would think at this point, at the very least you guys would have your campaign points in order.

You make the comment, " If those that love Beaver Island, both property owners and those of us that only visit each summer, saw true fiscal responsibility by the elected township officials, there wouldn't be a consolidation issue on the ballot" but on the consolidation website it is stated, "We’re not saying anything negative about the elected officials or employees in both townships. We’re saying that the governance structure, the two-township model, is no longer a good idea and we should change it."

Still waiting on the ambulance........................

If you need to reference your guy's consolidation page here it is https://lefevream.wixsite.com/beaverisl ... troduction
Andy Kohls
treehugger

Post by treehugger »

Well said Mr. Pike.

"If those that love Beaver Island, both property owners and those of us that only visit each summer, saw true fiscal responsibility by the elected township officials, there wouldn't be a consolidation issue on the ballot and there would be more donations like the fire truck in 2004. For too long it's been business as usual and so here we are today.

For those of us that can't vote, we can only hope that those that have been in a position to make changes and didn't have taken inventory of their actions and realize they have no one to blame but themselves that the consolidation issue is even here. The bottom line is business as usual isn't working and consolidation is a valid alternative."
anonymous
Andy's Grooming Barn

Wow you would think at this point, at the very least you guys would have your campaign points in order.

You make the comment, " If those that love Beaver Island, both property owners and those of us that only visit each summer, saw true fiscal responsibility by the elected township officials, there wouldn't be a consolidation issue on the ballot" but on the consolidation website it is stated, "We’re not saying anything negative about the elected officials or employees in both townships. We’re saying that the governance structure, the two-township model, is no longer a good idea and we should change it."

Still waiting on the ambulance........................

If you need to reference your guy's consolidation page here it is https://lefevream.wixsite.com/beaverisl ... troduction
Andy Kohls