FOR A CONSOLIDATED BEAVER ISLAND TOWNSHIP

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

meadefamily

Re: FOR A CONSOLIDATED BEAVER ISLAND TOWNSHIP

Post by meadefamily »

Mike

I agree 100%. I have moved on and Carol keeps personally addressing me. I have limited my responses to her questions and comments directed at me. I posted my opinion in the correct thread and was attacked by her in this one. So am I to understand only the few chosen ones are allowed to voice opinions and observations?

I too am fed up. I have no reason to attack you. And you have no reason to attack me. All tax payors have a right to ask questions and understand.

You are correct it is incredibly sad. I find it unreasonable and unfair to decide what I have and have not listened to. For that matter what I have researched and looked at. I would appreciate if you would not cast me in a light that is unfair and unwarranted. As far as your comment about Bill...you will have to own that one yourself.

If you don't want to debate with me then it would be best not to address me. The invitation for a phone call is not unique from you. I have put my number up many times and have invited calls. You could have made your concerns known with a simple phone call. I believe you have my number.

I would encourage you to go back and read the thread...I believe you will see it is more about several attempts to twist my words.

Give me a call if you have more concerns.

517-414-4433

Kathe
Beaver Island Gardens

Post by Beaver Island Gardens »

End the wait ;consolidate. Stop the hate ;consolidate. It’s not too late ; consolidate.
Beaver Island Gardens

Post by Beaver Island Gardens »

There are only two kinds of Islanders. Sunrise Islanders and Sunset Islanders. One Island One Township. This is our chance to unify our governance. No more back room deals and secret handshakes. A nepotism chart will no longer be necessary to read how things don’t work . It’s time to step into the future of a modern and more fair island. In the political arena and everywhere else. I’m registered. I vote. It’s just one drop in the bucket and it’s going towards unity. St James has demonstrated just how much better we can do. Get on board!
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Mike, you summed it up in few words! Thank you! I dropped someone off on Darkeytown Road today and saw as many as a dozen signs against, fine, but peddling influence and hatred is a terrible thing! Especially when you hold office and do such things! Do they care or only about themselves!?
meadefamily

Podcast

Post by meadefamily »

Richie,

Is there a way to listen to the podcast after? I can not see a link at the radio station. Also do you know if Saturday's meeting is going to be taped or broadcasted for people off the island?

Thanks

Kathe
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

It is my understanding that the interviews will be available on the WVBI podcast site after they have been both aired and yes, someone is supposed to be there to record the Saturday event. Will post links when they are available, Rich
carolburton

Post by carolburton »

http://www.peainetwp.org/government_dep ... udgets.php

http://www.stjamestwp.org/government_de ... nter_rz680

Revenues - Budget Expenses = Working Room or Not

The projections from both sides are not what will be set in stone they are views, opinions, and suggestions. The collective board will have to choose the best option for everyone. If you determine that townships combined there is working room as is, because these budgets and numbers are said to work now, what could be the outcome of a balanced "equal taxation" across the island? What would that really amount to if it was balanced?
burton
meadefamily

Zoning

Post by meadefamily »

Richie,

I have a question, if the consolidation happens what happens to current zoning laws?

Each township has their own guidelines and zoning rules. From what I researched prior to buying on the island the zoning laws are very unique to each township.

Some concerns for property owners may be:

Would the current zoning rules thrown out with the merger, or do they stay the same?

Does the new township have to create all new documents for zoning? (Costly to do so?)

If a zoning issue was in dispute currently how would that be handled?

Are we protected by the old rules (grandfathered) or is it the new board has free range to create new rules for a new township without a vote?

If there is currently a dispute over zoning does the new board have the authority to change laws to allow zoning that the old board have disputed and denied?

When we invest in property and homes we look closely at zoning issues. I would not want someone to build a commercial business in my resident zoned home. I would not want a new board to be able to change rulings the old board had already made.

Thanks
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

Kathe writes: "I would not want someone to build a commercial business in my resident zoned home."

.... now you're scrapping the bottom of the barrel. Where do you come up with this stuff, please provide the foundation for this question. Where in the history of township consolidation did zoning rules get thrown out and someone did this. I know, I know, you have the right to ask questions and no one has the right to question your motives. You really are special, go ahead and tell me off, but sometimes you just open up a can of... oh never mind. I'm only saying what most of us are thinking. You really need to find a new hobby, this one is hurting you.
Andy's Grooming Barn

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

Actually I was reading that and there is some really good questions in there, how would zoning work? Would everything have to be rewritten, of course it would to make it one township but in the rewrite would zoning areas be changed. I thought the entire point was to ask questions and there seems to be a lot of unknowns out there or would this be something that would have be left up to an attorney to take care of? Many of the things have been joined already although they will have to be rewritten to make one township but zoning is still separate so there would be a lot more to that I would assume, don't know because this is all unknowns to all of us but would be interested in some answers here.

K.A. Pike don't just take a section of Kathe's posts and repost but look at the entire thing it is definitely worth looking at prior to the vote.
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn
BobTidmore

I thought this was the "pro" area

Post by BobTidmore »

The current zoning ordinances are fairly similar and I don't see a lot of work to consolidate them
The current land uses are established by ordinances and are on each townships zoning map.
The Master Plan identifies possible changes in those designations and are shown on a map in the Master Plan

I have heard that if this passes "people in Peaine will not be able to hang their laundry outside as that illegal in St James. Someone is getting pretty desperate to spread this nonsense.

Bob Tidmore
26025 Main St
Beaver Island MNI
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Some pretty sketchy comments in the interview last night, calling people liars and misstating the truth in such an important debate is really low! Let's not leave this mess for another generation, any reason that I have been given so far to not consolidate has been selfish and poorly thought out. This community (one island) is dying by inches and it needs and infusion of clear island wide thinking. I am told some Peaine board meetings last 30 minutes, that should tell you all something! Let's look at the big long term picture, ONE ISLAND-ONE TOWNSHIP, the island's future depends on better more organized governance and less waste (and we have plenty of that!). One of the biggest "complaints" I have is that the majority against this merger are all retired. Quit thinking about yourselves! What are we leaving behind? If not merger we leave nothing but a mess for others! VOTE YES! =D>
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Since Richie chose to take down some of the post where Kirk attacked yet again...I have had to again edit for the good old boys.

Best Regards,

Kathe
Last edited by meadefamily on Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Kathe, Please give us a break! We've heard enough! Whoops that should have been directed to Kirk too. I think we've heard enough jib jab.
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Sounds good Richie...I just asked a question.