Unknown Website

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

K.A. Pike

Re: Unknown Website

Post by K.A. Pike »

I get a kick out of you John, you kick the can down the road and stir the pot with speculation and then when people reply and question what you're up to....suddenly you're "confused" :roll:
Last edited by K.A. Pike on Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

I keep reading Kayla post over and over. Since she will not explain the statement she made I am interpreting what she says is the reasons the consolidation attempt was put on the ballot and the fact there may be a group trying to start a new Chamber is because of the fighting between the 2 airlines on the Island. Where would she get this information from?? And how absurd she said that??

John McCafferty
kanderson

Post by kanderson »

Just as absurd as the conspiracy to create another chamber of commerce..? I don't need to get my information from anyone or anywhere. It seems pretty clear to me. Maybe I'm just crazy. 8-[

Where do you get yours from? Since the idea of a person creating a new beaver island url and the known intent (by you) is to create a new chamber is so important to you that for some reason you have to keep posting on here about it vs talking face to face with the party involved, I have some questions myself.

How/where/who did you get the website from? Who mentioned that it is for a new chamber?
Kayla Anderson
Rachel Teague

Post by Rachel Teague »

Maybe I can help clarify a few things and reduce unnecessary confusion. First, Fresh Air Aviation is not fighting with anyone. Just doing our job providing competitive air service to the island and Northern Michigan Region as we have been for the last 12 years.

With regards to people trying to start another chamber. That is not necessarily true in the traditional sense of a Chamber but what is true is there are some business owners and individuals who have been considering starting their own marketing organization outside the Chamber. At this point it appears to be a loosely formed organization without a specific name at this time. A few Chamber board members have reached out to individuals involved in this group to try to understand their intentions and keep the lines of communication open. It would be sad to see more division on the island and by dividing resources unnecessarily which would ultimately lead to less effective marketing for the island. As stated before the Chamber is actively working on planning for the future and we hope that our members and public will participate with us in this planning so that the Chamber can be the best organization it can be for our community. We prosper the island prospers. As our current director frequently likes to say "a rising tide lifts all boats".
Andy's Grooming Barn

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

That was very helpful thank you, filled in many of the blanks. Hopefully everyone will try to work together instead against each other.
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Again Rachel, thank you for your dedication and professionalism!!

Tracey
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Thanks Rachael!!!

John McCafferty
megsing3

Post by megsing3 »

You have an amazing talent for spelling people’s names wrong.
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Thanks for the slam migsang4. Very mature post!!!!

John McCafferty
megsing3

Post by megsing3 »

Ha.hehe. Glad we can finally share a giggle.
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

I would just like to add that I have been to a couple of the meetings and they were very productive. One reason I went to the meeting is my belief that not enough is being done to improve the fundamentally most important component of any communities economy and that is the prosperity of the PRIVATE economy. We spend countless hours and public taxpayer dollars here to build up the public essential services, some would question to a point of excess at times. We have the highest cost per student anywhere in Michigan for schools over 16 students. http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/201 ... s_w_1.html

But we have a struggling private economy. Wages are well below the public sector. The community cannot thrive without a resurrection of the private sector. We can have the greatest and most well funded public services but are these services fully engaged in helping the private sector thrive? As Larry McDonough once told me "The private businesses on the island are what create the uniqueness and character and future success of the island, it is critical that they thrive" .

So we have talked about certain things such as how can we maximize people getting to the island, can the ferry that has lost 35-40% of its passengers over the last decade turn that around? Washington Island has..., maybe we can learn from them.

Status quo isn't working, at least for the private sector and if things don't improve, expect a contraction not an expansion of private services. This all calls for some out of the box thinking so folks if you have some unique ideas we are all ears.

Jeff Powers
DeerwoodLodge

Post by DeerwoodLodge »

Jeff, you hit the nail on the head.

Tourism has proven an insufficient primary foundation of the economy with the short season and not enough visitors coming to draw/justify year round businesses beyond the base services such as groceries, hardware, etc. We have to find ways to bring consistent, job creating, tax base boosting enterprise to the island. Its a challenge, and certainly requires out of the box thinking and cooperation from both the public and private sectors, but I think it can be done, realizing we are at a paradigm shift for the island and need to move forward with that as the guiding mindset. Just as the fishing industry gave way to tourism without the community's commitment to it being minimized or abandoned, we must acknowledge the same now, knowing tourism will always be an economic engine, but not THE economic engine we need to create more jobs, increase year round population on the island, increase population in the school, and therefore lessen the tax burden on each individual. Our attempts to draw to the island should be equally focused on drawing visitors and permanent enterprise.

I am eager to be part of this type of discussion....in the proper environment and venue.

Vince Ebersoldt
kanderson

Post by kanderson »

=D> =D> :D :D Thanks for the great information and productive insights from the Chamber, Jeff/Economic Group & Vince! It only took a two or three day 'discussion' with myself, John & Tracey, but thank you nonetheless [-o< :-)
Kayla Anderson
Dave P.

Post by Dave P. »

Thoughts from a "outsider"....
Being fortunate enough to own a plane has allowed us to visit the island several times over
the years and twice we brought vehicles over on the boat for a week or so.
Looked at the thought of a retirement spot on the island but the logistics of
running a small retirement part time business, combined with overall cost
of living on the island just would not work for us.
The only solution I see for you guys is to increase the tourist industry.
Hunting, fishing, hiking....any/all outdoor activities you can think of.
I think the costs and time of the boat ride is hurting visitor counts
and most people....don't even think....about flying over.
I'd suspect you would get some taker's if some time was spent
marketing the commercial flight options.
Dave
stardust

Post by stardust »

In till people start developing property the private sector jobs will slowly decrease to a slow dribble. Mirco homes on beaver island is its only chance to recover from the economic slump.
If you think increasing tourism is going to SAVE THE DAY, there are not enough place's for people to stay that doesn't cost a fortune a night jUST SOME FOOD FOR THOUGHT