News Release: BIRHC Progress on Obtaining Dental Care

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

BI Rural Health Center

News Release: BIRHC Progress on Obtaining Dental Care

Post by BI Rural Health Center »

News Release regarding progress on obtaining dental care can be viewed on the Beaver Island Rural Health Center website

https://www.biruralhealth.org
K.D. McBride

Post by K.D. McBride »

Thank you for releasing the updated information on the Forum, I'm serious. In reading, it would appear that things are moving in the right direction for obtaining a dentist or dental services for the Island. What appears a little unclear at least to me is whether that dental service or provider has been selected, contracted, equipment has been obtained and a date patients can begin benefiting from those services at our HC on the Island without traveling to the mainland.
This is not meant to be snarky but I believe critical information needed on a critical issue for Beaver Island health care provided for residents and visitors. Previous replies (Steve and Elaine) to my initial post would lead one to believe a dentist has been selected. I also might be misreading John's sarcastic reply to me.
Kirk D. McBride
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Sorry Kirk if you think I was sarcastic in my reply. It was just good to see a post where people were commended for their hard work. I was thanking you for starting the post, nothing else was intended. If you see it as sarcastic I do apologize.

John McCafferty
steveandelaineonbeaver

Post by steveandelaineonbeaver »

â??A great big THANK YOU to the BIRHC board of directors, staff and committee chair Mark Carrington. It appears that they solved a very challenging problem â?? a dental practice with modern equipment to serve a very small market.â?￾

Iâ??ll bet we will be able to make an appointment this spring / summer. The board is made up of very capable people. Mark Carrington has a very strong business background in the healthcare industry and Iâ??m told has been a wonderful addition to the already excellent group of directors. Thanks again to those who dig in and do their best. Your efforts to deal with a difficult problem are appreciated by the vast majority of folks.

Steve
Steve and Elaine West
20 Southern Oak Dr
Camden SC 29020
connor

Post by connor »

appearances can be deceiving
Bryan O'Connor
K.D. McBride

Post by K.D. McBride »

Hard to admit that you got out over your skis Steve by preempting BIRHC's announcement and having us all believe they have "solved a very challenging problem", by a dentist with modern equipment. Might still be used equipment and dentist yet to be determined, but at least the search continues.
Steve, if you haven't looked at a calendar or set your clocks ahead, spring is here but summer might be a possibility for truly solving the problem. The snow might be gone by then but you might still be out over your skis. Verify with the HC before any further announcements. In the mean time I still feel for Islanders who have to continue to go off Island for dental treatment that contractually should be provided by BIRHC.
I'm making no disclaimer for "snarky" on this post!
Last edited by K.D. McBride on Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kirk D. McBride
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

On the good side of it paid flights are available I think until the new dental operation is underway.

John McCafferty
K.D. McBride

Post by K.D. McBride »

We have Ken Taylor to thank for personally paying for flights off for those needing to obtain dental care. He appears to have more compassion for the hardships the BIRHC has caused those needing dental care than concern the HC appears to have provided.
Kirk D. McBride
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Are we upset because we feel it is taking to long to to replace the dentist that resigned? Surely the BIRHC board is doing a great job on the replacement but maybe just not quick enough?

John McCafferty
K.D. McBride

Post by K.D. McBride »

John -
I'm sure your question is an open one to anyone who wishes to respond.
Not sure of the "we" you refer to but from my vantage point, I think many (we) people are upset about several issues. It is taking too long for a replacement given that the former dentist gave appropriate notice of departure. The relationship between BIRHC and the former dentist was a tenuous one from the beginning and only got worse with time. The BIRHC board offering her $1 for her equipment and threatening to lock her out was meant to be an insult. Connie's letter to her attorney regarding the death of her brother was meant to be a hurtful insult. The insult of not offering her fair market value for her equipment has now lead to the BIRHC having to search for money or donations to replace the equipment. Money or grants that could have been put to more beneficial use. A poor management decision made by the BIRHC board to stroke their egos. How would we know the BIRHC board is doing a great job on the replacement? Until today, there have been no public updates on their search process. The BIRHC board has failed to acknowledge that contractually in order to receive tax dollars from the townships, the BIRHC has committed to and is required to provide a dentist at the HC.
That's the past but important to recognize in moving forward. What was, has been and nothing we can change about it now. What is more important is the future. I am sure it comes as no surprise that I am not a supporter of the BIRHC or its board but in the Island's best interest, I wish them success in providing health care to include dental services. But more than that I would ask BIRHC to continue what they did today and that is keep the public informed as to the dentist search progress, good or bad people need to know. For our tax dollars which we continue to provide even though the BIRHC is in violation of their contract agreement with the township, I don't think it is unreasonable to ask that they post weekly or biweekly updates on their website relative to the search process and progress.
Although I believe the BIRHC has failed on several fronts, I firmly believe if they totally fail it will be a disaster for Beaver Island. Therefore, I support their search efforts and wish them timely success in a dentist replacement.
Kirk D. McBride
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Kirk,

I am sure the board has no interest or energy in rehashing and defending the past. I learned along time ago the truth is fluid...and there is absolutely no future in continuing to fight accusations or misrepresented facts. I am sure there is some truth to your comments above, but I also equally as sure there are "rest if the story" facts missing as well.

In one sentence you ask for updates, but in the next when you recieve one you tear it down, criticize and point figures as you rehash the past from your view point. It is like nothing is good enough. I truly do not understand your methods.

I truly and sincerely hope for the future if the island, the respect for the community members who do take the time to be on boards and in government, and the welfare for all who visit and live on the island that everyone can move forward and support the Health Center.

Blessings to you and your family Kirk. And blessings to the health Center board as they navigate this complex process. It is time to move forward.

Kathe Meade
Andy's Grooming Barn

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

Kirk I understand that you guys get a real kick out of just causing trouble by bring up half truths and exaggeration but the health center has formed a committee that has been working very hard on getting us the service on the island of a dentist that WE will use, I understand YOU do not use them anyways so it is obvious you are just using this to cause trouble.
I do not mind them taking some time as there is a lot they have to go though, this isn't a easy process. The past is the past no matter if you do or don't like the way it was done, Wendy did resign and this is what she wanted hopefully she has a new chapter she has moved forward with.
I am sure as they have pertinent information they will share it with the public, remember that these people are GIVING their time around their daily lives to help get us this service, unlike some other people which are just complaining they are doing something.
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Kirk,

I received your message about the 13 page post, I did respond on that post as well, but I wanted to also reply on here as I recognize the bait and switch game you are playing again.

Your need to bring back up this thread is a fine example of your unwillingness to move forward. I appreciate you bringing back up this thread as it is a PERFECT example of the name calling, rudeness and inability to be transparent. It represents the "circling of the wagons" with the fake names and lynch mob tactics used. 13 pages of nonsense.

Again, blessings to you and your family and blessings to the Health Center and board as they navigate through this complex process. It is time to move forward. I hope now you can.

Kathe Meade