Consolidation Update

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

islandliving

Consolidation Update

Post by islandliving »

Has anyone heard anything of any dates of meetings or any available new information on the facts and figures of the consolidation of the townships? Seems someone posted awhile back meetings at the community center in April? Also there were postings that facts would be available by now. Many people are waiting patiently for information to support their votes on May 8th??

John McCafferty
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

I will do my best to find someone involved who will start publicly answering these questions? The majority of those in support of looking at this township merger that I have spoken to will not vote yes without solid facts and a laid out plan for the infrastructure of this plan (consolidation).

Post by islandliving »

When can we expect anything??

John McCafferty
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

lespie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:27 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote
The information on consolidation savings/costs is being carefully prepared. Stop pissing in your cheerios while you jeer any chance at a constructive future for this community which needs all the help it can get to move forward! Preliminary figures are being passed around but they are not yet ready for posting until accuracy is there! Your brother in law said, 25 years ago he would make it his life's mission to unite the townships, he never did a thing! Is this where we are headed? Condemning something before it gets a chance at proof. Be patient, we've listened to your rhetoric, we are all waiting for the facts, just the facts. It could take weeks to perfect but they will be presented!
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Weeks are turning into months, anyone got or heard anything yet??

John McCafferty
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Bump.
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

CURRENT UPDATE:

The BIC Center and WVBI are organizing a community forum on the township consolidation question that will be up for vote in May. We will not advocate any particular result in the poll. Rather our goal is to provide an opportunity for all to learn about the proposal, ask questions and engage in a community discussion about the question. To that end we will seek out persons who can provide factual information as well as advocates that support consolidation and those who oppose it to serve on a panel that will make initial presentations.

We need your help in planning this event. What questions do you have about consolidation that are unanswered? What are the points you think voters should consider in making their decisions? Who would you like to see making presentations? What format should the forum take? Please send your suggestions to info@biccenter.org or programming@wvbi.net.

The BIC Center will host the event. It will be recorded for broadcast on WVBI and posted as a podcast so those unable to attend can hear the discussion.

We look forward to your input and to a constructive community meeting in April.

If anyone knows the date of this meeting please let me know. I am traveling off Island and would like to be back to attend any meetings concerning consolidation. Thank you.

John McCafferty
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

After reading back on all the posts pertaining to the goodness of township consolidation, if Beaver Island had a dollar for all the words that have to be eaten we would be in great economic shape.

It must take a really long time to try to turn a bad idea into a good one?

John McCafferty
Nancy Levant

Post by Nancy Levant »

Regarding "To that end we will seek out persons who can provide factual information as well as advocates that support consolidation and those who oppose it to serve on a panel that will make initial presentations."

I would personally be happier with a non-facilitated event.
Nancy
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

I'd buy a ticket for that free for all. :roll: :wink: :shock:
Skull&CrossBones
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

I donâ??t think you will need tickets because I donâ??t think there will be any meetings along with all the other promises.

John McCafferty
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

No matter your position on this issue, those in favor of consolidation and those opposed have to come forward with proof.

Quote by K. A. Pike

Anyone seen any proof yet from pro-consolidation? Nearly 2 months and not 1 answer to any of the many questions to my knowledge. If there is please share.

John McCafferty
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

No one has answered my questions either. Again I ask...What has your township done for you the taxpayer? What is your township doing for you the taxpayer now? I believe tax-payers are having a hard time with these questions and why the issue was put forth to consolidate. From my understanding a lot of people signed those petitions! We might want to consider WHY they did that. Especially the township officials because it is a big sign that belief in them right now seems to be very low. I think it was also so (tax-payers) could have a voice. It worked! That petition has everyones ear and (taxpayers) want to be heard and respected. It was a very united peaceful way to speak out.

WEBSITE https://lefevream.wixsite.com/beaverislandtownship
SURVEY https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/6962FPB

If you want to debate someone that is fine but please quote exactly as it was written context is very important to me and to the people reading. EXAMPLE

As stated...This is a serious issue and is not a waste of time. If Beaver Island has any hope of attracting new non-homestead home owners and even retaining the current non-homesteader this is important.

As Quoted...â??This is a serious issue and not a waste of time. If Beaver Island has any hope new non-homestead owners and current non-homesteader this is important â??

Post by islandliving »

Maybe the consolidation idea was born through the years of frustration with the status quo. Taxpayers-not just voters-deserve a voice on the future of the Island. Homeownership across township lines is essential to the future of Beaver Island as is tourism which will attract new homeowners. We need a frank and honest discussion on the pros and cons of consolidation. With enough information, the decision makes itself. Let's talk honestly and without rancor for the future of our Island.

When will the frank and honest discussions take place?
When will information be available?
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

We have developed a website for all of the information related to the township consolidation ballot proposal in May 2018. The web address is:

https://lefevream.wixsite.com/beaverislandtownship

There is a contact page so you can send questions or comments directly to me.

Angel Welke