Questions Regarding Visiting Beaver Island

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Don B.

Questions Regarding Visiting Beaver Island

Post by Don B. »

Hello!

My brother and I are hoping to make a personal watercraft trip to Beaver Island from Wilderness State Park this week, providing the weather is good. We would like to stop at Hog Island first, do some exploring and then visit Beaver Island and stay for three days - in between exploring the other islands. Any concerns or suggestions regarding Hog Island (we heard the fishing is good!).

Also, what restaurant(s) would you suggest on Beaver Island for a good white fish dinner?

Thanks!
Don B.
Chamber of Commerce

Post by Chamber of Commerce »

The best source of Beaver Island visitor information can be found at www.beaverisland.org or give us a call at (231) 448-2505. :D The best "undiscovered" great fishing is our inland lakes.
Don B.

Visit To Beaver Island

Post by Don B. »

Thank you very much. One other question, with the lower lake levels are any additional precautions needed around the out islands (Hog, Garden, High?)

Have a great day,
Don
friend

Hog and High Island

Post by friend »

Don,

The water between Hog and Garden Island is shallow - the bottom comes up fast in places. As for exploring Hog Island itself, see:
http://www.evanmpeterson.com/emp_thoughts4.html

As for High Island, it often features unbroken fields of hip-deep poison oak. I was there a couple of weeks ago and this year's lack of rain left the poison oak stunted and getting around was a little easier.

If you're comfortable finding your way around in the absence of maintained trails and understand the local flora and fauna, both islands are fun to explore. As always, safety first, because High and Hog are isolated and have unforgiving aspects. If you hate surprises like four foot Northern Water Snakes - which I have seen on both islands and swimming around them - then you might disagree with my notion of fun. :mrgreen:

Garden is more popular, the trails are easy, and the landscape more forgiving.

Can't say I've had a bad whitefish dinner, but the best whitefish dinner you'll ever have is over your own fire. Skip sells freshly caught fish on the road to the Whiskey Point lighthouse next to the Toy Museum. If you're really lucky, he occasionally snags lake trout.
Evan Peterson
Crystal Lake, Illinois, USA
evan@evanmpeterson.com