Yup, it is guns

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

BradG

Yup, it is guns

Post by BradG »

18 school shootings this year. 33,000 gun deaths per year. Just behind motor vehicle accidents. 88 guns per hundred people in this country and a death rate of 10 per hundred thousand citizens per year. Countries with lower ownership have perportionately death rates less than a fraction of 1 per hundred thousand. Japan had 10 gun deaths last year with 127 million people. The New England Journal Medicine found households with guns are 10 times more likely to harm the owners or family members then those without. We can't control mental illness, but we can control access to assault weapons, high capacity magazines, silencers and provide adequate back ground checks. Enforcing gun laws after the tragedy occurs doesn't prevent the carnage. We need to prevent it before it happens. We need to eleminate weapons for which there is no reasonable purpose for a civilian to own. When Australia did that in 1995 they haven't had another incident. Enough is enough and has been for far too long.

Brad
K.D. McBride

Post by K.D. McBride »

Brad =D>
Kirk D. McBride
Ruddelle

Post by Ruddelle »

Yes.
Emily
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

As a pirate, I've sailed around the world several times in the past 200 years. America is by far the most dangerous country I have sailed. Not because of the people, who are wonderful, but because of the number of guns available and few sensible restrictive laws. It seems even to a one eyed pirate to be getting worse each day and I'm I guy who supports himself by plunder and pillage along with a little rum business on the side.
If everyone had the attitude they have here in Key West, we would all be better off for it. Time for an attitude adjustment America. 8) :D 8) :D
Skull&CrossBones
tkludt

The world has changed

Post by tkludt »

It's time to protect our children in schools. Outlawing a particular weapon or it's accessories is certainly not a guarantee of security. Neither is posting a sleepy security guard or an off duty, over worked law enforcement professional nor a teacher with a handgun.
Recall before 9-11 we could carry box cutters, hunting knives and hand guns and the like on commercial aircraft no questions asked? We invented TSA to keep us safe in our travels. It seems to work pretty well. Our schools need a security system and protocol with the same or better rigor than the airports. Yes, x-ray, scanners, dogs and such. Not a pleasant thought but neither is relying on outlawing a rifle or its magazine a realistic aid to protecting our children and their devoted staff.
It's time to change and catch up with the world we live in whether we like it or not. Make our schools at least as safe as airports period! Tom
Batman

Gun roynd up

Post by Batman »

I see that some people are turning in their guns to the Sheriffâ??s office trying to take a stand against gun violence. I really do care and I want to help those that want gun control. I'm taking a stand myself and getting involved, if you or your friends have a pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle that you need removed, I will take it (permanently) and ensure it ends up in a safe place.
Free pickup service available. And yes, I will take all ammunition and firearm/gun accessories too!! Private message me today so your home can be a "gun safe and gun free zone". I'll give $25 gift cards to Starbucks for each weapon surrendered!
Fschoo

A question

Post by Fschoo »

I'm curious how many gun deaths have taken place on Beaver Island, and how many people on the island own guns?

How many hunters who have come to visit have been involved in gun deaths.

It seems to me that "Of all" places, Beaver island is a model for the way things ought to be, and gun laws has had nothing to do with it.

Next... I think the most productive question we could all ask ourselves is "Why is it that Beaver Island has been so successful". And those answers that we find should be a model for our nation.

As for laws, every law that the government passes is a law on you. You want your life and decisions to be regulated by our government?
The more that passes as law is the more power we give to the government.
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

You are right, get government out of regulating our lives. I would like to see a country where there is no speed limit on the roads, no seat belt law, no stop signs or traffic lights, no public roads, no publically funded police or fire protection, no laws for DUI, no prescriptions required for opioids, no restriction for carrying open or concealed, no inspection for food or drug safety, no licensing for medical personnel, no inspection for public buildings or transportation, etc., etc. What the hell have we come too? Why wasn't it TOO SOON to talk about these stupid laws before they were enacted by our government? :roll: :roll: :roll:
And just who is our government anyway?
Skull&CrossBones