St. James Recreation Plan Adopted

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Wkohls

OK . . . so it is about money!

Post by Wkohls »

Ken . . .

Thanks for the post.

If you would, please clarify for the readers.

The Peaine board determined that a boat launch at the Bill Wagner Campground failed a simple cost/benefit analysis . . . itâ??s an underutilized asset and any appropriate solution was cost prohibitive.

With Paulâ??s leadership, the board instead decided that it should work with St. James Township to develop a more appropriate solution on the harbor.

From where I stand, the board fulfilled its fiduciary duty by establishing spending priorities which are consistent with the best interests of its constituents and are also consistent will the best interests of the Island.

Iâ??m not sure what youâ??re looking for from local government, unless itâ??s unlimited spending.
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Ken

My comment was only in reference to the ridiculous perception you made about me.

I can tell you that you and I agree more than you realize. I also reconize the contributions you have and make to the island.

I would love to see consolidation work and everyone unite. I would love better services. I agree the board of St. James is impressive and Kitty and her team have done an excellent job of turning things around. But those loves do not equate facts. People deserve to hear the facts. Things just don't add up. Why would St. James want to inherit Peanine if it so bad and ran so poorly as you have said? Don't they share the major services and share the cost? The things they share, don't they run smooth? The health center, how can consolidation help?

We have the facts on taxes...they have not been disputed. Can someone please give facts about how consolidation will solve the problems?? Can you Ken? I would be the first in line to listen. But the emotional responses of the fakers need to go away. Can you ask them to step aside?

The forum is difficult and the constant noise from people that create identities and do not truly contribute to the conversation make most throw thier hands up.

Because I ask questions, give a perspective that differs from yours please do not tell me and others I don't care about St. James, the island or I do not want to see island prosper. I do not know you, but I do know you care. Our delivery is very different, but in the end we all want the same thing. A healthy island, a healthy community and friendships.
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

As a 40 year property owner in SJ Twp and a Peaine Twp. homeowner, a seasonal resident and one who (along BTW, with many other full and part time residents) have been utilizing Beaver Island Marine for their boating activities for decades, I read the thoughts about the relevance of the marina in Kathe's statement with some trepidation.

Generally, it sounds as if their may be a scenario afloat (pun) in which the marina would be closed and the area used for some other public service
In example: Kathe's personal lack of knowing anyone down island that uses the marine facility shouldn't be a factor in whether or not efforts, private or public, should include closing of this extremely important part of Beaver Island's infrastructure.

The Anderson family has been heroic in their efforts to keep their business afloat (couldn't help that pun, either). Before them, Mr. Hill and Mr. Phil Greg carried the mantle. I think we islanders, full or part time, have, historically, taken all their years of effort for granted.
Anderson's marina is now for sale and the family is looking toward the future. I know that they, too, are concerned with the marina's future and the impact of the sale on the island's overall well being.

Beaver Island Marine offers services that are not, and from what I understand, can not be duplicated at the Township Marina.

Beaver island is, well, an ISLAND. Boating is how you get here since the days of the first Irish fishermen.
Perhaps, instead of looking at ways to pare down the Island's marine services, efforts would be better served to let the Great Lakes Billion dollar boating industry know that Beaver Island is truly a boater's paradise and is open for business.
Social media makes these type of promotion efforts easily obtainable.
As an avid year round boater and fisherman on the three coasts, I can say that these islands are an undiscovered gem in the boating world.
Please nurture it.
If we do not all hang together,
we will all hang separately,
Ben Franklin
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

John Bolton,

I appreciate your post and you bring up many good points that I am sure Kitty and Travis are looking at. I am however concerned about you using my name to make those points. You have misunderstood what I was saying.

The only reference that I made to the Beaver Island Marine was that the gift was generous, and that how would it impact the taxes that the township was receiving as a private business. Beyond that...nothing.

I certainly made no comments about the importance, relevance or compared the public marine as you suggested. And my comment had nothing to do about the Andersons, closing or usage.

The remainder of my comments were about Peanine taxpayers and the use of sidewalks, roads, sewage and boating.

Kathe
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

Kathe,

"I personally don't use a dock or boat and don't know many (actually any) down here that do..."

This is the statement I was referring to that you made.
Your follow up explanations did nothing to change my original assessment of what the statement was implying.

I live "down here", and so do a lot of others whose situation regarding the Private marina services, would be greatly affected by any major changes in its' status..

I agree with a lot of your opinions about the island politic, however, me thinks you are seeing enemies when they are not actually there.

As my rum running, border swapping Grand Pa down in Algonac use to say,
" When you start to wrestle with that pig, you have already lost."
If we do not all hang together,
we will all hang separately,
Ben Franklin
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

John

This format does lend to misunderstanding of what one is reading.

With that said, I just read Ron Wojan's post and it sure resonates what is going on with this forum.

My heart is in the right place. This forum is not the right place to display it and certainly is no place to protect it.

Good luck to you.

Kathe