Interest find on township consolidations

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

DonH

Post by DonH »

I am sorry Kathe that I can't give you my address. Those against consolidation would never wave at me again. Also if I get a dog where will I get him groomed. I can't risk it.
Andy's Grooming Barn

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

Wow Don, obviously you don't know me as I am not like that at all. Way to keep to the facts, again why do a few feel the need to make slanderous remarks or go off subject?
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

DonH, Do you concede the bet? You said Kathe would reply to my post within 30 minutes and it's now been close to 4 hours. By the looks of things, it must be Andy is taking the afternoon shift on the forum.
I'm sending the proceeds of our bet to the Beaver Island Music Fest. Not to confuse things but the music fest is held in Peaine Township while the mailing address is in St. James Township. I'm hoping that by music fest time there is not an armed boarder crossing gate on the township line just north of the four corners. :roll: :D :shock: :P :wink:
aka/Don
Skull&CrossBones
DonH

Post by DonH »

Maybe she is out shopping. I should have bet on John or Andy.
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

This very serious government issue should be worked on by the governments involved. Peaine and St. Jamesâ??s Townships, not by volunteers. Or at least the townships should be working together on it with volunteer help. Our 10 payed people soon to be our 5 saviors of the Island. Oh no negative again. Shame.

John McCafferty
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Gain your power respectfully. Do it the right way. Eliminate your enimies according to the laws of the land. Bad Beaver Island politics. Or any politics. Township consolidation at this time is senseless.

John McCafferty
megsing3

Post by megsing3 »

Good god perhaps you have lost your mind
Last edited by megsing3 on Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Is this a proper word to use on the forum??? WOW!!!

John McCafferty
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Kathe, I am assuming DonH is Don Haney. I should have his address both on Beaver Island and off Island. I did a big job for him a few years back. I will get both for you.
megsing3

Post by megsing3 »

What in the christs holy name are you trying to say?
Bad bad what?!
Nonsense to you! Yesterday there were threatening demands to have someones home address - now today, publicly, openly promising to supply that address. In order that eliminate an enemy? (As you said â??eliminate your enimies (sic) according to the law of the landâ?￾)

It is generous to conclude that you are referring to voting. Or democracy.

The need of you and kathe (sure, and andy) to know and share a persons address sure as plain hell makes you sound like torch happy gerrymanders.
Kathy

Post by Kathy »

Megsing3: You hit the nail on the head. They look like they want to threaten people to think their way or else. [-X I like the idea of a consolidation. The larger the pool of citizens that can be drawn from for offices, not just township officers but for the many committees, the better quality you should be able to get.
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Good edit to your post of 3:19 a.m. I hope I am the only one who saw the foul language you were using and then edited it out.

John McCafferty
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Megsing3 and Kathy (another fake )

I can assure you your dramatic, twisting post are incorrect. My comment to Don H. was off the cuff in response to his insane notion that we should just be positive and the taxes will probably go down. My comment was to point out to him that he should not he making speculations using others money. It was not as you suggested. Come on...give me a break!!!

In the future if you are going to play this word game it may be helpful if you stop editing your post, use your real identities and try to keep the drama down.

Kathy...welcome back. When you boys are real desperate you dig her back out of your bag of tricks. Kathy, no one here on either side has threatened anyone. And your friend meg, O my goodness, if only she would of not edited her post! It brought a whole new level of sickness to the on going game.

Can we know get back on topic? O wait we can't because there are not facts. Just fluff, rainbows and positive thoughts. Yup.. can certainly run a business in that!!!
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Kathe, Can you please post your home and island address for all of us on the forum? DonH and I want to send you a badge to go along with your being self appointed chief of the forum police.
My advise as the coward I am, spend less time on meaningless conspiracy theories and more on consolidation. :D :wink: :D
aka/Don - Love my new identity.
Last edited by BI Pirate on Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skull&CrossBones
medic5740

Facts on Consolidation

Post by medic5740 »

Some of the negativity on this forum really surprises me, and others may be marked as perceived loss of control.

Some facts might help. There are those that are working on that, but sometimes gathering information can be difficult. For example, no audit can be found for Peaine Township online, but the St. James audit is available in two locations. Perhaps, this kind of thing is slowing down the release of information until it can be verified.

Here is one fact that hasn't been even mentioned. St. James Township could have legally allowed two people from the township population to run for a position on the coordinating committee. Why? Because the population in St. James is higher in the 2010 census.

What did St. James Township do? They voted to allow just one person join the coordinating committee instead.

What does this have to do with the issue of consolidation? It has a lot to do with making certain that IF there is a coordinating committee, there will be equal numbers of elected people on the coordinating committee from each township.

So? They could have stacked the coordinating committee with another person and could have had a built in majority for any votes, but, you see, they didn't do that.

Who will make the decisions regarding tax levy? These decisions will be made by the coordinating committee and/or a future elected board, so no one can know for certain what they will be until or if the coordinating committee and/or future elected board is in place. Estimates can be made, but that is all they will be, estimates.

Who has been paying more millage for joint services for many years? The answer is St. James taxpayers. For many, many years, Peaine Township has matched the dollars raised in St. James. With a higher tax base in Peaine, this meant that equal dollars raised meant lower millage paid by each taxpayer in Peaine for shared services.

What does this have to do with consolidation and the issue of consolidation? If consolidation takes place, then each taxpayer on Beaver Island will pay the exact same millage on these group projects. No township taxpayer will get a lower millage on any of these projects.

Doesn't that mean that some taxes will go up? Not necessarily. It depends upon the priority that the new board, formed after the consolidation, if the consolidation takes place.

Can you predict the future? Someone not elected yet, if a new township is formed, will be making the levy decisions.

So, finally, with the election still more than two months away, I would like to suggest that there is still a lot of information to be gathered before predictions can be made, and the negative comments and the name calling and the hair splitting really isn't going to accomplish anything except to provide entertainment.

The so and so says this, and his buddy says that, and all the brow beating, and frankly bullying behavior is not doing anything except reflect on those posting this type of stuff.

Joe Moore