move to the island?

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

TaniaRH

move to the island?

Post by TaniaRH »

Hello Islanders! My name is Tania Hanline and I've been following the forum for a while. As a recent empty nester and divorcee I am looking for a change in my life. I own a small farm just south of Cadillac and work for the Forest Service as a seasonal Botanist. I am a graduate of CMU with a MS in Biology (botany emphasis). I took a few classes on the island and was a student of Dr. Wujek. I have started looking at property and homes on the island. I have worked as a botanist for the US Forest Service for 8 years and operated my own business on our farm producing local genotype wildflowers and seeds. I keep bees, garden, raise food and animals and basically have a very quiet life. The thing I am missing most is a sense of community. Although my farm and life is very simple I still find myself frustrated with much of modern society. I actually need less of many things and desire isolation along with that sense of community. I'm 47, in excellent physical shape, very active and am looking for a life geared towards self sufficiency. I can't quite afford to live without working nor am I ready for retirement. Any help, suggestions or information about work/life on the island would be greatly appreciated. As soon as the weather is nice I will be coming to the island for a visit to look at homes and property. Thanks so much.
Andy's Grooming Barn

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

It sounds like the island might be a good fit for you, it isn't the life for everyone. I am not sure what type of work you are looking for, of course much of the jobs are seasonal but truth be told if you are willing to work you should be able to find some all year round but it just may not be work of your field.
Hope you find what you are looking for.
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn
TaniaRH

Post by TaniaRH »

I am actually willing to do any kind of work. I have done a variety of odd jobs including worked for the post office as a rural carrier, substitute teach, farm sitting, worked for the conservation districts, grocery store, etc. If I can work in natural resources that would be ideal. My heart and training is in botanical work but I would welcome a change and a new challenge.
PScott

Post by PScott »

The community on Beaver Island is incredibly special. Islanders are salt of the earth. The basic requirement for acceptance is to love the island. Substitute teaching on the island is wonderful and gives you a chance to meet families. I hope you give it a try. There is also a farmers market during the summer months. I have found it difficult to grow produce on the island, but others have figured it out.

Feel free to contact me via direct message on the forum.
Trish Scott
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Hello Tania,

I spend quite a bit of time on natural resource work as a volunteer. Beaver Island is truly a Great Lakes jewel-community included. The townships have been without a Phragmites Administrator for several years and there may be an opportunity with that position. We have a birding trail and about to unveil the new water trail circumnavigating Beaver Island. You will find a community that values its natural resources. Please Private Message me when you are arriving and we can chat.

All the best,
Pam Grassmick
McGrass
TaniaRH

Post by TaniaRH »

Thankyou to everyone who responded to my post either privately or publicly. I hope others will continue to send advice, information and personal experiences my way. I will be saving all of the contact information and have already had a nice phone conversation with someone who has property for sale. Please keep me in mind for any work that may be appealing to me. I will be responding to all of the private messages and look forward to meeting some of the islanders as soon as the weather is nice enough for a visit. I am excited about the possibilities for a new start on BI.
becca foli

Post by becca foli »

Hi. My name is Becca. My husband and I moved here a year-and-a-half ago. We became empty-nesters and wanted to do something different with our lives. We absolutely love the island. He teaches at the school and I have been able to substitute teach and I have worked at the front desk of the community center the last two summers. The island has a wonderful sense of community and if you love it it will love it right you right back. I hope to get to meet you when you come to the island. Feel free to call me 217-979-3040 if you have any questions
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Becca, "...and if you love it it will love you right back." I know what you meant. I met a chap at the Shamrock one night who asked if the people on Beaver Island are friendly? I asked him if the people are friendly where he comes from? His answer was yes, so I assured him people are friendly on Beaver Island.
The point is, it's what you bring with you that determines 90% of what you experience when you get to where you are going. :D :D :D
Skull&CrossBones
TaniaRH

Post by TaniaRH »

I am sort of in the same boat..... wanting to do something different with my life. Iâ??m also a recent empty nester with my only son studying engineering at NMC (drones specifically). My nest is not completely empty as I still have a small collection of fur and feathered friends, 3 old chickens, 3 old ducks, 3 little rabbits, a dog and a handful of cats. I donâ??t plan on taking on anymore animals. I used to also have horses, goats and geese but they are all gone now. Iâ??m recently divorced and my dad passed away last year. Lots of life changes and a definite life shift. Iâ??ve been putting it out there to family and friends that Iâ??m considering a move to the island. Iâ??ve been thinking of it for probably 10 years. I have things to contribute to a community I think ..... greenhouse, cider press, maple syrup tapping supplies, beehives and my mom who is an artist. Sheâ??s had items at one of the galleries there for years but while my dad was ill she gave it a rest. I think she would enjoy time there and sheâ??s gone by herself to camp on the island. Anyhow I am enjoying and appreciating all of your comments. So much good advice. Thankyou!