Forum Rules | FAQ | Memberlist | Private Messages

Main Discussion Forum | Marketplace / Trade Forum 
One more reason life can be difficult on Beaver Island
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Beaver Island Forum Index -> Main Beaver Island Open Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darby Campbell

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:24 am 
Post subject:

Am I correct that the HC is going to have to look for grant money to furnish a dental office? I recall that the HC board had an opportunity to buy Dr. White's equipment and insulted her by offering only $1 and now has to raise thousands for that insult. Which comes first, the chicken or the egg? Shouldn't the HC hire a dentist first and let that person pick the equipment they want for the practice? Looks like a lot of money being wasted on bad decisions.
I believe it is all the people on the island or coming to the island who are suffering from these bad decisions along with current tax payers. I want to remain positive but it is becoming difficult with a void in leadership and accountability.

DC
islandliving

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:15 pm 
Post subject:

Mr. Campbell, do you feel the need to have your teeth cleaned or worked on during your 1 week stay on the Island in July. Iím sure the health center feels bad that they have caused you such a hardship. You seem to be a very squeaky wheel for a non-resident and a non tax payer on the island. You just keep putting good people down that you donít even know. There are other Islands that might suit your dental needs.

John McCafferty.
Darby Campbell

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:30 pm 
Post subject:

Mr. McCafferty, I look forward to meeting with you in July. If you read my posts, I have stated that I'm sure the HC people are good but good people can still make mistakes. Focus should not be so much on the mistake as the lessons learned and applied for correction and improvement. My concern is that the learning curve for improvement seems to be lacking along with accountability.
We love Beaver Island and plan to retire there. The two biggest concerns we have are health care and taxes in our retirement years. I am person who firmly believes change happens with action not apathy. If health care and taxes are my concern, I can not stand back and say someone else should step up and deal with it while I wait and watch. When we retire, I fully intend to become involved with township governance and volunteer for board positions to include the HC.
To the dismay of my wife, I want to be an activist now and not just when we move there.

DC
Andy's Grooming Barn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:26 am 
Post subject:

K.A. Pike wrote:
We vacationed on Beaver Island for 11 summers. Towards the end we were renting cottages during summer for two and three separate weeks. The prices of the homes we were considering were fine, but the non-homestead taxes were unacceptable. We do not want to be landlords and rent out the prime weeks in the summer just to cover our taxes. Our family is at a place now were between my wife and I, our kids and extended family and friends we want a summer place. It's a shame, we're not alone. Beaver Island will need to figure this out. I'm sure we'll still visit once and while, but the desire to own a place on the island has vanished, and so have our dollars. - - Kraig

Oh, and by the way, if anyone would like 25 shares of boat stock send me a message.

This was posted on Sept. 22nd. Kraig if we are bringing up what people have said in the past I guess that this should be brought up. I question your reasons for being on the thread about consolidation since you have no property and obviously no more interest in owning property on BI, let alone you have shown a lot of negativity. The only thing I can assume is that business is slow in the funeral home business. http://www.pikefh.com/aboutus I personally don't care if you ask questions but maybe you want to have a little more transparency before you are calling others out on their opinions or facts?
K.A. Pike

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:33 pm 
Post subject:

"The only thing I can assume is that business is slow in the funeral home business"

I don't know what you mean by that, although I think it was a shallow attempt to silence me since I own a business and I might be afraid that voicing by opinion may affect my business....good try.

This is one of the issues expressed by others on this forum. People are afraid to post here because they own a business in the brutally small economy of BI and they can't afford to lose a customer. Shame on you Andy, you've proven their point.

So in full disclosure, I also own and operate Great Lakes Business Parks. These are multi-tenant, flex spaces that have shared parking, utilities other common area's. It meets the needs of small companies that have outgrown a home business or have the need for a more commercial space. We are at 100% capacity and have a waiting list, we are exploring another location on the other side of the county.

We own and manage, through a construction manager and crew, a business that buys distressed commercial properties in small towns around us. We rehab them and put them back on the market.

So Andy, as long as you have found such an interest in our lives. We are blessed to be a part of a small community and serve those who call. Not everyone has the financial means to bury their loved ones, but no one is turned away. We are well known in our community for our charitable giving, but it's also well known that I'm a straight shooter and don't BS me, I'll call you out.

Best wishes Andy, if you have any other questions about us, just reply. This thread has taken many turns and the topic has changed a couple of times. I'm sorry your tactic backfired, but I give you credit for trying. I'm not in the forth grade and I can carry by own and the eight other families in my community I support with jobs.
Andy's Grooming Barn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:35 am 
Post subject:

Kraig
What apparently you don't understand is that I am a small business person myself and I am not afraid to talk on the forum so this was not a way to intimidate you as you so infer, I truly believe that although I speak my peace on politics I am a good business person, although others hide behind fictitious names or not presenting who they truly are by not posting their true names, that isn't me...not sure what you are talking about people owning businesses being afraid, if you are honest, straight forward..... just not an issue. You never answered what I was asking, if you have no interest in purchasing property nor do you own property why are you perusing the thread and why such negativity. Seems that my response made you switch your negativity to me instead of the issues, sorry for the distraction.
meadefamily

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:29 am 
Post subject:

Kraig,

You seem to take great pleasures in attempting to belittle others.

You have spent alot of time bragging about what you feel are great accomplishments above. I congratulate you.

I can see Andy's point. By your own omission you clearly show you have no use for the island. I think Andys question was fair and certainly did not deserve your attack.

You say you are well known for your charity... There are people on Beaver Island that give more time, money, tears and sweat than you ever have or will. One if those is the woman you feel at liberty to continue to verbally attack. Andy is well loved and RESPECTED.

Kraig, you have your life in your community, you have your businesses, and you have your accomplishments. Why do you feel that you need to continue to hurt the Island and the people here? You have by your own words admitted you have no future plans to be part of the community.

You attack Andy and Bill every chance you can, you attack the board of the health center, past township officials. You are negative and attempt to devalue and belittle anyone who does not agree with you. Who in hell do you think you are that you have the right to do that?

True to your style you will respond with some stupid analogy that has absolutely nothing to do with the facts of past post and most likely will be off topic. You will compare me to some past moment in history that had absolutely nothing to do with my words in some clouded attempt to teach me and everyone reading a "history" lesson. Then there is also the "how dare you, and shame on you" type of response you will undoubtedly use to close out your point.

The reality is that this is fun for you. Please please stay in your in community and debate the hell out of their politics, citizens and people. O wait...you can't because I am most certain if you behaved there the way you do here you would not be as successful as you claim.

O and one last thing...Be careful threatening to call people out on the BS...because you are the master of BS and consider yourself called out.
Darby Campbell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:57 am 
Post subject:

I wonder why people are choosing not to visit or move to Beaver Island? It's not all cost related. Would you like some of these people being the greeting committee to welcome you?
K.A. Pike

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:07 am 
Post subject:

wow, some people live on a one way street. Their comments are justified and constructive and others are attacks and divisive. I'll go to the other side of the playground and hang out there.
Darby Campbell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:25 am 
Post subject:

Mr. Pike, We're in the same sand box. Their comments can only be hurting Beaver Island and its reputation.
meadefamily

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:41 am 
Post subject:

Darby,

Good point! It would be difficult for the fake people who hide behind fake names and people who bad mouth the island and claim they don't come here anymore to be greeters. Covers would be blown!! Always same wagon circling...

I would imagine looking the people they bad mouth, accuse, and twist words about in the eyes would be very awkward!!

Please...take your negative games and go to another sandbox! maybe then people will come back to the forum and post their thoughts and ideas without being worried about being attacked.

Stay tuned folks...the pattern is Kraig, then "Darcy". ( yet to be determined if he is a real person), then the pirate chimes in, then the obvious fake ones start circling. The good news is when they are called out they retreat. The bad news is when a new thread starts they come back and start again. O and when it gets real obvious...the edits and delete prior post.
K.A. Pike

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:37 pm 
Post subject:

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Kathe,
You can go ahead and call it retreat, I'll call it serenity, courage and wisdom.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Beaver Island Forum Index -> Main Beaver Island Open Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Page 13 of 13

Jump to: