Maple Syrup

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Blacksmith Apprentice

Maple Syrup

Post by Blacksmith Apprentice »

Is anyone making maple syrup on Beaver Island? I was thinking of doing so on my new 10 acres, but do not want to infringe on any activities now controlled by "Islanders" as I have been advised that is unhealthy. It is not "moonshine" but who knows, "don't step on toes."

Bob Yager
Last edited by Blacksmith Apprentice on Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liam Shan Ballymore

Post by Liam Shan Ballymore »

Many people have done maple syrup for themselves, but I can recall only one that has produced enough for sale to the public. My own efforts over the tears have had mixed quality results. In my opinion Beaver Island trees can produce good quality and there is never enough produced. There's always the Farmer's Market in summer to sell it at also. Hope you have good trees and good suitable weather!
...tis a fine and enviable madness, this delusion that all problems have solutions...and yet the horse may sing
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

Iâ??ve thought for years we should have a Maple Syrup cooperative
On Beaver Island. Many communities have them and working together we could produce a decent amount of product.

This could lead to a spring festival as many communities do

https://www.mountpleasantwow.com/events ... -festival/
James K Otis

Post by James K Otis »

A cooperative would be a great idea. I own some property in Peaine Township and From reading this forum recently, I see there is a tax discrepancy between the two townships. If a cooperative were to be formed Iâ??m assuming to be fair those bringing in sap from St James township, they would likely receive a slightly larger compensation per gallon to offset the higher property taxes being paid?

Thanks JKO
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Easy to poke fun at the Island and its people while hiding behind the keys of your computer under a fictitious name. I even heard it is against the rules of the forum. Why are so many afraid to use their real names when posting. My opinion, they are a coward.

John McCafferty
Blacksmith Apprentice

My Name

Post by Blacksmith Apprentice »

You will find my name in other posts. Forgot to post it on the maple syrup post.

Bob Yager
Last edited by Blacksmith Apprentice on Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wmarkey

Post by wmarkey »

Blacksmith Apprentice, the only time I did maple syrup I tapped jut two trees but did get plenty of sap to try my hand. I reduced it in my kitchen and filled the house with that wonderful aroma but steamed up the windows so much the water was running down to the sills. I recommend boiling outside especially if you make a lot. The problem I had in the end was temperature control because it clouded up and it was on its way to making sugar. The product was definitely delicious and none of it went to waste. You will do fine if you get the right weather. Good luck!
"Our problems are man-made,
therefore they can be solved by man."
JFK