Township Consolidation Website

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Thank you Richie. That is good information about debt, as many are under the impression there is large debt outstanding in St. James.

Working from facts is so much better! I appreciate you confirming the issue on debt. During this fact finding process I would encourage the Townships to provide financials and for us all to see showing the bottom lines.

Do you know if that is available and if so could you post it for us?

Kathe
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

John -
Just a point of clarification. Bill has the absolute right to his personal opinion and vote just as any of us. I am only encouraging Bill to remain neutral and factual with his public comments as Supervisor of Peaine Township. We hold public officials to a higher standard which means they should speak in facts and not personal conjecture. What goes along with that higher standard is that when officials speak publically it is difficult to separate personas. I think St. James Township gets this point.
Kirk
Andy's Grooming Barn

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

I am a little confused, Public official or officials, I am not sure how many, signed the petition it was stated earlier in one of the posts and that is okay but a public official asking that the facts and figures to get put on the table for the voters to be better educated to vote is not okay? Personally Kirk I think anyone and everyone has a right to speak out and sign whatever they wish as they are not just public officials but are registered voters and I would like to hear their opinions as well as facts to help me make an informed decision when I go in to vote.
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Kirk,

Just so I understand...what you are saying is that elected officials should maintain neutral and not ask questions when third party groups want to change law?

I would hope that the people voted in office would stand up for the people that voted for them and ask the hard questions.

Again, I don't know all the facts so I can not express my opinion on the issue at hand, but what I can say is I am glad that Bill Kohl's is in the township I pay taxes for and he is not afraid to say questions need to be answered. "Just give it a try" is not good enough.

I would hope that elected officials would get involved and not stay neutral

Kathe
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Andy and Kathe -
We disagree and I have no problem with that fact.
Kirk
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Kathy, Kitty McNamara said the audit will be available and perhaps couldâ??ve posted. To the issue of officials speaking, there is a fine line between whatâ??s personal and not. Everyone has the right to speak, the facts are coming together and will be revealed. So far the negatives have proven nothing to prevent this more than 100 year old debate. It ALWAYS came down to protecting one corner and that argument needs to stop. My interest is the best long term interests of my native home!
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

I believe Bill is asking for facts, and making statements that no facts are being provided, I would bet as a Supervisor he is at least working on getting voters something. Anyone that disagrees with any of his posts are misinformed, again in my opinion. If a township official feels strongly that the consolidation is a bad idea than let the voters know. If a township official thinks the consolidation is a great idea then let the voters know. Why be silent and neutral on this issue? I would love in a post to see some factual ideas on why the consolidation is a great idea.
All I hear is statements that make me believe it is a sneaky move to try to get some people out of office before their time. Like Iâ??be said before, wait till the election, get elected, make your changes. The fact is was not the townships idea to consolidate townships sounds a little crazy to me. Why would the petitioners not go to the townships to support the consolidation and if they did why is it not supported by the townships?

John McCafferty
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Good points John.

Richie, at the end of the day I would guess that most have the best interest of the island at heart. Township officials, voters, non voters, tourist and business owners. Let's allow everyone to voice thier concerns and ask for facts. That seems fair.

Kirk, I suspect you and I agree on occasions. It is the delivery that discredits you. (In my opinion of course)
Last edited by meadefamily on Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Kathe -
"Kirk, I SUSPECT you....". I'm not sure what you suspect me of but I'm most likely guilty of it plus more. As far as my "delivery" goes, my therapist says she believes I'm close to a real break through on my assertiveness scale. In regards to "discredits", I've been discredited most of my life starting with my sister who was an only child.
Kirk
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Sorry, Kirk...typo. You and I...I corrected.

When you cut and paste others comments it would be proper to paste entire sentence and not embellish. I believe that is equivalent to putting words in others mouth.

Hopefully the interruption is over and we can now get back on point.
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Freud was overrated, no need to apologize for the "slip".
Let me telegraph some of your remarks you directed to me above, back to you. How dare you be so condescending as to tell me how to cut and paste? I can't believe you are saying that I embellished. Are you really saying I put words in other's mouths? The delivery of your remarks to me are a discredit to you. (My opinion of course)
Now back to the point.
Kirk
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Peace :!:
Kirk
Wkohls

Post by Wkohls »

Fact #1 â?? The financial benefits of consolidation will not be shared equitably by taxpayers in St. James and Peaine Townships.

Fact #2 â?? Under any conceivable scenario, taxes will decrease in St. James Township as a result of township consolidation.

Fact #3 â?? Taxes will increase in Peaine Township unless township consolidation results in cost savings of $115,000 (roughly 30% of general fund expenditures) each year.

Please note that the foregoing is based upon current tax levies and further excludes any consideration of the substantial costs that would be incurred to consolidate the townships.
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Bill thanks again for being the only one bringing solid facts to the voters.

John McCafferty
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Iâ??m really looking forward to the estimated cost to consolidate. Iâ??ll bet it will be a shocking amount if anyone can up with anything. Seems like if there was a recent history of any townships consolidations maybe they would share. At any rate probably more tax increases for Peaine and St. James?

John McCafferty