Township Consolidation Survey

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

JFPowers

Township Consolidation Survey

Post by JFPowers »

I decided to create a survey to better understand everyoneâ??s thoughts on the consolidation issue. While I was on the island the last several days, numerous folks voiced there opinions and I thought Iâ??d like to get more input so here is the link to the poll.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/6962FPB

A note, I set up this survey as a concerned citizen of Beaver Island it is not in any way related to my position as a St James Township Trustee

Thanks for your time,

Jeff Powers
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

A lot of great input by many people.

Here is a link to the results so far:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-YPP6T9LF8/
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

This is great Jeff! Can you post the written answers as well?
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

I think the written results are viewable now

https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-YPP6T9LF8/
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Nice job Doc. :D :D :D
Skull&CrossBones
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Great job Jeff. Good to see so much input on such a short time.

John McCafferty
carolburton

Post by carolburton »

Interesting that the answer to this question: Are you satisfied with the direction of the government in .... is so similar for both townships.
burton
carolburton

Post by carolburton »

I would like to see more people answer this survey. This is the site that was just released to inform about the township consolidation.

https://lefevream.wixsite.com/beaverislandtownship
burton
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

To date 177 responses have been received. I can keep the survey open for up to a month. I can answer any data questions also
medic5740

Tax levies

Post by medic5740 »

I can only assume that the County accepted the petition after checking the voted millage for both townships.

Can we get voted millage amounts per township posted here side by side to see how they compare?

I'm also curious if the millage in the petition as listed is to be considered voted millage and not levied millage. I would think that the levied millage would still be determined if the consolidation goes forth.

Anyone know the answers to this?

Joe Moore
Jimmy McCafferty

Township consolidation

Post by Jimmy McCafferty »

Just curious Joe Moore if you would consider am open discussion on this issue face to face. Maybe it is time to call your bluff The ball is in your court
medic5740

On Consolidation?

Post by medic5740 »

I'm not sure what this previous post means. I'm just looking for information and then passing this information on to those that are interested.

I would gladly have a conversation with anyone about the consolidation. I have been having them. Someone asked me about the millage. I didn't know the answer, so I said I'd post about it.

Then I noticed that the information that I asked about was very shortly posted on the following website:

https://lefevream.wixsite.com/beaverislandtownship/faq

Down on this page is the exact information answer that I was asked about.

I'm concerned about the "call your bluff" comment, however. I am only trying to help gather and provide information on this issue.

Joe Moore
Andy's Grooming Barn

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

I just was reading the website that Joe suggested and I feel like the questions we all have are not being answered. It is so vague, such as we might save money by consolidating the two boards but then again it might cost more money. Not really any facts in this website to help me, I would not want to consolidate just because it sounds like a good idea. My concern is if we do consolidate the full amount starts getting levied to cover attorney costs, increased salaries, software upgrades etc. I guess I had assumed that before this was put on to the ballot there was a estimated budget that was figured up for initial costs as well as what the future costs would be once the townships were consolidated. I was hoping for more firm figures as well as examples from other townships which have done this in the past.
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

I categorized the comments section of the survey and attempted to bring out the major concerns. I may have missed a few points but here is what it appeared to me to show.

Tax Concerns 28.06% 39

Economy Improvement 20.86% 29

Ferry Costs 20.86% 29

Tourism Improvement 20.14% 28

Community Working Together 10.79% 15

School reform 7.19% 10

Internet 6.47% 9

Health Center 5.04% 7

Natural Resource mgmnt 5.04% 7

Infrastructure 4.32% 6

EMS 3.60% 5

Non Homestead Voice Heard 2.88% 4

Cost of Living 2.16% 3

Roads 2.16% 3

Cell Phone 1.44% 2

Tiny Homes 1.44% 2

Energy 0.72% 1

Get rid of Forum 0.72% 1

Off Island Management 0.72% 1

Recreation 0.72% 1

Hopefully both the proponents of consolidation and those opposed to consolidation will come forward with ideas that will help address the concerns of all of those with an interest in the islands future and that responded to this survey.

Thanks everyone for the great responses and ideas. I recommend that everyone on Beaver Island reads all of these comments there are many, many great ideas in there.
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

BUMP! Great summary of information. Also see BITA/BIBCO post.
Kirk