One more reason life can be difficult on Beaver Island

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Darby Campbell

Post by Darby Campbell »

Any update on the new dentist?

DC
sandpiper

Post by sandpiper »

All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth
My two front teeth
See my two front teeth
Gee, if I could only have my two front teeth
Then I could wish you, "Merry Christmas"
Darby Campbell

Post by Darby Campbell »

Seriously, I was hoping for the sake of the island that a dentist has been selected and setting up practice by now.

DC
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

The opening of my mobile dental practice has been delayed a bit. :( The inspection of my dental tools is the reason. I'm soaking my picks and scrapper in CLR. :shock: Must be I didn't dry them after removing the tartar and plaque from Tug's teeth last month. :roll: Should have them looking like new and ready for you soon. It should be fun practicing on real people. :D :oops: :wink:
Skull&CrossBones
duffer

medical

Post by duffer »

it is sad that i see the old island residents have amnesia! yes as a kid we had doc christy, in his day he would remove cyst and other malady,s right in his office, he seldom sent people to the mainland for simple procedures, as time and liability have changed now we send everyone to the mainland for simple thing.s I was diagnosed with hemochromatosis, a simple fix is to get blood drawn,,,,,, I been told that they wont give me a basic phlabotomy with out blood test first? the blood test being 200 bucks the blood draw another 200. I go to colorado and united blood services draws my blood for free they dont need a running blood test, I go to a private doctor for one test when i get there and united calls me when they can draw again, i asked for draw on the island and was told they would not do it with out a test first. I am watching my health and my insurance is 7500 deductible so it pays nothing,,, how can a proffesional blood service do it for free and with out blood test? i just know i don,t want to pay for a test every time i go in, but it is money for the clinic which i already get taxed for. it just erodes my money and i stay on my health. i wont ever get the way they treated wendy either. so many un answered questions and do you get input from those who are in charge? no because they think saying nothing is better. myself i go to the mainland every chance i get for medical finding it not even close to affordable if they wont work with you... but Wendy would work with us and she was treated poorly. for someone who like both people of the equation why do ego,s get in the way of common sense?
duffy
AEW

Post by AEW »

I still remember when the new medical center was being built and what a fiasco it was. No place for the EMTs. No weather resitant place to transfer patients to and from ambulances. A horribly energy inefficient design. Any of the contractors on the Island could have designed a better more cost effective and efficient building (hmmm I should FOIA the utilitiy bills). It was a boondoggle from day 1.

Then the "Board" insisted on hiring this off Island "consultant" for over 80k when we had a woman on the Island with over 30+ years in healthcare administration and management experience who told the board she was willing to do it all for free. Then, if my memory is correct the "consultant" did such an absolute crap job the first time much of the work had to be done over. So what did the board do? The board gave her an additional 80k to finish up.

Then around early 2000 we had an Island resident named Dr Mark Folkering. He was a 30+ year general practitioner. He told me he was talking with the health center board to be the permanent Island Doctor. He told me the board told him that if they and Charlevoix hospital did not want a permanent Island doctor because they would loose some type of rural health care status and loose some operating expenses if they hired him. (pssst. healthcare is Doctors, nurses and technicians not fancy buildings and administrative staff).

I really think the Island needs to get rid of a lot of the "boards" and just hire expert managers with solid resumes who give public monthly reports to the township and community on the status of operations.

Someone once said that the healthcare center should have been built attached to the Airport so we can just fly people off faster. Might have been some merit to that.
AE Wirth
sandpiper

Post by sandpiper »

I think I have located the new dentist for Ms. Wojan.

EXCLUSIVE: Not a care in the world for the millionaire dentist who slaughtered Cecil the Lion with his bow and arrow exactly a year ago as he drives his new $120,000 Porsche to a cocktail bar.

Walter Palmer hunted and killed Cecil the Lion on a reserve in Zimbabwe on 1 July 2015, generating worldwide revulsion.
Darby Campbell

Post by Darby Campbell »

Is Walter Palmer the dentist coming to the island? Is he any relation to the lady who started the lawn service?
Last edited by Darby Campbell on Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sandpiper

Post by sandpiper »

Ms. Wojan is very tight lipped about it. She did say she was talking with 6 dentists and this one is from Minnesota, which isn't far away.

EXCLUSIVE: Here is the rest of the story: He isn't going to be prosecuted, so that is a plus.

The millionaire dentists, from Minneapolis, Minnesota, went into hiding amid calls for him to be prosecuted for the killing
Zimbabwe abandoned bid to extradite Palmer, 56, after deciding no laws had been broken and federal authorities ruled against charging him in US
Palmer was seen in his home city this week enjoying his new $120,000 Porsche Cayenne Turbo and heading to a cocktail bar
Vigils to be held for Cecil on Saturday in Washington DC and London as wildlife charities are renewing calls for action to stop hunting
Bump

Post by Bump »

:arrow:
Darby Campbell

Post by Darby Campbell »

I'm so disappointed. What happened to the Doctor Porter who I heard was coming as the island dentist?

DC
Darby Campbell

Post by Darby Campbell »

Am I correct that the HC is going to have to look for grant money to furnish a dental office? I recall that the HC board had an opportunity to buy Dr. White's equipment and insulted her by offering only $1 and now has to raise thousands for that insult. Which comes first, the chicken or the egg? Shouldn't the HC hire a dentist first and let that person pick the equipment they want for the practice? Looks like a lot of money being wasted on bad decisions.
I believe it is all the people on the island or coming to the island who are suffering from these bad decisions along with current tax payers. I want to remain positive but it is becoming difficult with a void in leadership and accountability.

DC
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Mr. Campbell, do you feel the need to have your teeth cleaned or worked on during your 1 week stay on the Island in July. Iâ??m sure the health center feels bad that they have caused you such a hardship. You seem to be a very squeaky wheel for a non-resident and a non tax payer on the island. You just keep putting good people down that you donâ??t even know. There are other Islands that might suit your dental needs.

John McCafferty.
Darby Campbell

Post by Darby Campbell »

Mr. McCafferty, I look forward to meeting with you in July. If you read my posts, I have stated that I'm sure the HC people are good but good people can still make mistakes. Focus should not be so much on the mistake as the lessons learned and applied for correction and improvement. My concern is that the learning curve for improvement seems to be lacking along with accountability.
We love Beaver Island and plan to retire there. The two biggest concerns we have are health care and taxes in our retirement years. I am person who firmly believes change happens with action not apathy. If health care and taxes are my concern, I can not stand back and say someone else should step up and deal with it while I wait and watch. When we retire, I fully intend to become involved with township governance and volunteer for board positions to include the HC.
To the dismay of my wife, I want to be an activist now and not just when we move there.

DC
Andy's Grooming Barn

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

K.A. Pike wrote:We vacationed on Beaver Island for 11 summers. Towards the end we were renting cottages during summer for two and three separate weeks. The prices of the homes we were considering were fine, but the non-homestead taxes were unacceptable. We do not want to be landlords and rent out the prime weeks in the summer just to cover our taxes. Our family is at a place now were between my wife and I, our kids and extended family and friends we want a summer place. It's a shame, we're not alone. Beaver Island will need to figure this out. I'm sure we'll still visit once and while, but the desire to own a place on the island has vanished, and so have our dollars. - - Kraig

Oh, and by the way, if anyone would like 25 shares of boat stock send me a message.
This was posted on Sept. 22nd. Kraig if we are bringing up what people have said in the past I guess that this should be brought up. I question your reasons for being on the thread about consolidation since you have no property and obviously no more interest in owning property on BI, let alone you have shown a lot of negativity. The only thing I can assume is that business is slow in the funeral home business. http://www.pikefh.com/aboutus I personally don't care if you ask questions but maybe you want to have a little more transparency before you are calling others out on their opinions or facts?
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn