Island Fellow's Departure

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Pam Grassmick

Island Fellow's Departure

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Weâ??re writing to inform the island community that, for medical reasons, our island fellow Stefanie Burchill has been forced to cut short her time here on Beaver Island. This is a disappointing development for Stefanie and our community, but it was beyond anyone's control. The Island Institute immediately reached out to previous graduate fellows who might be willing and able to step in and take over, but has been unable to find a replacement at this time. Stefanie spoke very highly of her time on Beaver Island and of the residents and organizations that she met and with whom she worked:

â??Thank you for your great mission to encourage the growth of this beautiful community. I cannot thank you enough for all of the immense hospitality and kindness you have showed me in this short time. I apologize for all of the work that I have left undone.â?￾

During the next month, the island community will need to determine whether to pursue having another fellow next year to carry on the mission of the original site application. Personally, we remain committed to pursuing the communication project and rolling over the funding now in place for 2018. The Island Institute will begin their process of recruiting fellows for Maine in January and has offered to continue providing support for Beaver Island should we choose to make another go of it. We would appreciate your thoughts.

Thank you all for your generous support of the communication project and of Stefanie during her stay here. We will be providing additional information over the upcoming weeks. Should you have any questions please contact either Pam (2314) or Kevin (3189)

Pam Grassmick and Kevin Boyle
McGrass
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

From Whiskey Island, good but mostly well wishes go with Stefanie.
Skull&CrossBones
lindawearn

Post by lindawearn »

My best wishes to Stephanie; it was a pleasure to meet her.
BradG

Post by BradG »

I have great hopes that an Island Fellow can help us get where we need to go. I appreciate Stephanie's efforts and wish her well. She was off to a good start. We need to continue this effort for the future of our Island. We have huge potential, but we need to actively develop it. It's worked in Maine. It can here as well. Let's give it another shot!

Brad