One Hundred Thousand Welcomes

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

sbsp

One Hundred Thousand Welcomes

Post by sbsp »

Deleted for lack of interest (462).

SEE PAGE 2 FOR A REPOST :!: :arrow:
Last edited by sbsp on Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kirk
Bump

Post by Bump »

:?
Pam Grassmick

Tourism

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Kirk,

I read your post with interest. Would you please re-post or email me those ideas? We may have an opportunity to pursue sooner than later.

Thanks,
Pam
E C

Post by E C »

Those were very good ideas. I liked the bus moving about and also the greeter. Something I am surprised the Chamber of Commerce board hadn't thought of or investigate.
Mojave Bob

Post by Mojave Bob »

I'm not sure why this was deleted, but I proposed a few similar ideas a couple of years ago, and was met with only negative responses. I was basically told I don't have a clue. Maybe not, but I am no more clueless than the average visitor to the island, and even in my cluelessness, I have some idea what things might make my visit more attractive.

Whether or not the island community wants to put forth the effort to do these things is another matter entirely. If we (yes, I own on the island) want to have an economy, we need to do what it takes to attract visitors. Visitors bring jobs. Jobs bring families. Families bring students. Students bring a tomorrow.

I thought there were some great ideas here, worthy of further discussion.
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Kirk,

I am not sure if these resources have been explored. This is an interesting article.

https://www.epa.gov/smartgrowth/smart-g ... ommunities

I also liked your post.

Kathe
Rory Connaghan

Post by Rory Connaghan »

I thought it was a outstanding post and would love to be involved, Kirk. :D
mgt

Post by mgt »

I'd be delighted to meet the mid-day boat (or airport arrivees) M-W-F of the two weeks we are at the island each summer to drive day-trippers around the harbor area and Gull Harbor, out to the views from the campground, and on to Donegal Bay. If they want to linger at the museums or shops or beach at Donegal for a while, I'd even go back and get them later. My rusty van from Illinois would look just like an island vehicle! My husband and I have done this many times on a casual basis. Bill Cashman once let me run the Maritime Museum for an hour while he ran to the Print Shop to xerox something. I was in my element and thrilled to greet people and show them around and chat! After 47 years of summer visits, I do know the stories, history, geology, etc. I hope this idea gains ground. Please repost original idea and request.
pam moxham

Post by pam moxham »

I thought these ideas were good, supportive ( of BI ) and fun ...where did they go..? ( and why deleted?)
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Thanks to everyone for their reply. I will repost my list, just give me some time as I'm on another mission that needs attention and will post as soon as possible.
In the mean time, Pam Moxham said BI fun in her post. Here it comes Pam, I'll take full responsibility if it doesn't go over well. BI needs a slogan for tee shirts and buttons that differentiates us from the "other" island and becomes a conversation piece when worn off BI.
Slogan: "Beaver Island - No Road Apples"
I'm fully aware that this could have a double meaning and that's okay too.
Kirk
Mojave Bob

Post by Mojave Bob »

"Beaver Island - the other Hawaii"
cindyr

Post by cindyr »

When I had my little shop on the King's Highway, I had bumper stickers made that said "Beaver Island: Dreamers at Work." I thought it was the perfect sentiment. We do seem to have to work a lot harder to get ahead (and pay a lot more for things like milk and gasoline) than those in other places, but we all seem to share the love of this beautiful place, and each hold dreams of what we want out of our lives here.
Cindy
Richards

Post by Richards »

Kirk, thank you for sharing the ideas you have ~ "One Hundred Thousand Welcomes". Well thought out. I especially liked your trolley idea around the harbor. If we could acquire a vehicle like the one used for Baroque on Beaver this past year, and run it all summer... that would be phenomenal. I agree, we do need to extend ourselves a bit more to provide an active welcoming committee for those who have traveled the distance to our island. I'm sure as you mentioned, you have many other great ideas to share. Bring 'em on!

Also, thank you to those who have volunteered to be part of the welcoming committee:) It would be wonderful if this could be an organized group. I will volunteer to greet the dock or drive the trolley on a mid-week afternoon on a weekly basis.
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Bob and Cindy have gone and made it a contest, good for you:

"BI - Bermuda w/o The Triangle"
"BI - More Stars Than Hollywood"
"BI - Jamaica w/o The Jerk"
"BI - Cuba But No Cigar"
"BI - Where Only Geese Honk
"BI - Where Northern Lights Dance"
"BI - Music In The Air"
"BI - Where Waves Come From Cars"
"BI - Come To Play, Welcome To Stay"