No Way we can lose the Burtons

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

I will say a couple things....

This summer when I was badly in need of help to keep my condo cleaned on a regular basis to meet the demand of the rental schedule, Andy stepped up and got it done for me very professionally.

She often comes with two people that as a team get the job done very quickly.
Pam Smith

Post by Pam Smith »

Good things do happen to good people!!

Congratulations, Andy!!
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

If my whole dental thing doesn't work out, I might be cleaning rentals and halls. At $25/hr., it sounds like a great opportunity for a new start up "cottage" industry. :roll: :D :wink:
Skull&CrossBones
treehugger

Post by treehugger »

I am going deer hunting. Too much shooting here on the forum.
Last edited by treehugger on Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
anonymous
stardust

sign me Up

Post by stardust »

$25.00 an hour you have to be kidding me. I got a sense of humor but that is not very funny. 1/2 the people on the island would of jumped on that. and to go from $18.00 to $25.00 an hour that a 40% increase. Damn.
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Here we go again. Tree hugger "strategically" has an oopsy and misunderstands. I am not sure how you can confuse cleaning for the township and Andy's name to working for the HC and Tracey's name.

You (Sorry, but honestly none of us are sure who "you are") just keep coming from every angle you can think of to discredit these woman and the HC. As far as the $25.00 per hour rate. I don't have the time to educate you on taxes and payroll, but keep in mind that this is not an employee/employer relationship. This is a 1099 position. Andy will have to pay an additional self-employment tax and Medicare tax on top of the other taxes from Federal and State. This is a cleaning position a few hours a week at most. After the taxes and if she brings in someone to help her she will be lucky to make 8.00 per hour. As Ken stated that she was "bettering her situation". I don't think her take home is going to make or break her lifestyle.

A rate of $25.00 per hour for a cleaning service is not out of line. This is a service not an employee relationship. Ken's post makes it sound like she is a waged employee at $25.00 per hour. This is simply not the case. I am uncertain of Ken's motivation behind his post, but treehuggers motivation is LOUD and clear. Trouble maker comes to mind.

I don't have the facts on the job posting or who applied, but Ken did admit in his post that this position was posted and no one else applied. Ken's chastising and lecturing the islanders about their level of poverty and that they did not make the effort is again offensive.

KEN'S POST:
This was posted correctly, but no one else seems to have applied, other than Andy. There are people out there that surely could use $25 per hour, as this isn't chump change, but failed to make the effort necessary. They should have taken the Que from Andy and tried to improve their situation.

KEN's ADDITIONAL POST:
The Government statistics show that Beaver Island has 5% of its population below the poverty level. They quoted a population figure of 551. 5% of this is approximately 25. That would be about 5 families that are in need and probably receiving public assistance. I think there should be more individuals out there looking for a job, especially one paying $25/hr and Andy was the only one.

It is puzzling to me about how much Ken and TreeHugger seem to know about the workings of the township and health center. I can't figure out if they really know, are making assumptions, or just plain making things up and guessing.

Ken, as I have said in many post to you...you have valid concerns but your delivery is so offensive. I am not sure if you know who treehugger is but you may want to ask him/her to stop the bait and switch with your post.

Here is a side note about Andy...Andy is on call for the EMS, she is a HUGE supporter for the animals of island. Andy has a bed and breakfast and like most islanders does more that one thing to make a living on the island. It is hard to know how to read post, but if that is what you are referring to as Andy "bettering her situation" then I say BRAVO Andy...you are a go getter, a strong woman and a huge asset to the island. If there is a need for shelter, rescue or assistants she is always there.

For the record...I have never done anything social with Andy, we are not Facebook friends, and my conversations with her surround the care of our dog. My comments on Andy are based on her reputation, the company she keeps and the way she runs her business.

Kathe Meade
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Kens new tactic is to change his post and his subject line when he is called out. So as you can see on his original post he has edited it.

Such lovely games adult men are playing here...who is next?? Tree Hugger.....

On a side note...I hate to see the Burtons go as well...something Ken and I can agree on! :lol: :lol:
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

So how long could it take to clean the hall and how many times a month could it be cleaned. Nobody applied for the job. Letâ??s say the hall is cleaned once a week and it takes 2 hours to clean which I think both assumptions are high. So the $7:00 per hour raise on a position that only one person applied for could on the high side be costing the taxpayers $56.00 extra a month. Now thatâ??s worth getting in a huge uproar about. Should we have had a public hearing and brought it to a vote. Maybe Andy was just willing to help out. Check with any cleaning person on this Island and I will assure you that charge st least $25.00 per hour.

John McCafferty
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Again Ken is up to his editing. Edited another this morning. Funny thing is Ken, this morning post you reference "more important things" So that there is full transparency in your post let's remember you started this post BEFORE Carol posted. So to lecture me about what is important is odd...seems you should follow your own advice.

As far as your suggestion to adding findings to previous post to not crowd out important issues...what a joke!! You are not adding information you are completely changing your post and confusing the thread when you are called out for your behavior.

For those just joining this thread discussion...let me clarify for you. Ken's original post had NOTHING to do with the current tagline. Ken chose to change the thread and erase his postings to a completely different topic.
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Kathe,
Good spot on the changed text. Me thinks you might be getting strung along. :roll: :shock: :? However, I love to follow your manuscripts. Next thing you know Simon and Shuster will be calling you. :wink: :lol: :wink:
Skull&CrossBones
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Pirate...thanks for your observations. Me thinks it is more about Ken and his mystery friends trying to hurt others. His editing is more about him coming at different angles. Making fun of me certainly is a great attempt at diffusing Kens actions...but unfortunately does not change the outcome. I see nothing funny about someone posting half truths and being offensive. Again...not to write a manuscript but if you can follow along on what started this my original post was simply to state that Ken's attacking others was not a good way to get his point across. And I have also stated several times he had valid concerns.
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

I think someone is getting frustrated being the self appointed hall monitor. It's a little like hunting rabbits. Some people get frustrated because they feel they have to chase every tail they see. Pick your point and stay on target, you can't shoot at everything that moves.
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Pike! So glad we agree. I wish Ken could stick with the topic and stop changing his post too!! This 3-4 edits and changing taglines is insane!! So glad to see you agree the threads should stick with the topic that Ken self appointed!!