Dogs out Walking late at night

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Pam Smith

Dogs out Walking late at night

Post by Pam Smith »

I can't believe it! It's happened again. Our 80 pound Lab, Daisy, has not come home and it's getting dark. She is a black lab, with white on her chest. Also she took her sister with her this time, a 40 pound black lab/spaniel mix, she too has white on her chest that goes up under her snout. Her name is Annabel Lee.

Since they are both black, I'm concerned about the nightfall and perhaps not being seen. If they find a house they may come to your door. They think everyone is a friend!

If you see these two wonderers kindly contact me at 2350. They both have identification tags and a Saint Francis prayer. They have been chipped, but no tats.

Peace to all,

Pam Smith
Pam Smith

Post by Pam Smith »

My fellow forum peeps, you may get to know me well if our K-9 continue to take their long walks through the woods. They just returned and if anyone out there showed them their way or gave them a little water, thank you so much.

Next time I will offer a homemade cake for anyone who brings them home. LOL

Peace to everyone. I love this place. So glad those many years ago the Ann Arbor Boy Choir took an Island Tour and came here! Our son was one of those singers. We feel in love with BI way back then.

Enough

Peace be with you
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Pam,
Don't take this the wrong way because I'm glad your two best friends returned home safely. Before moving to Whiskey Island there was a leash law on BI in St. James. I know you are in Peaine but I think the law is county wide. Along with Doc Powers, I'm a dog and cat lover. My dog Tug loves his independence and over on Whiskey he can roam in safety but not out of my sight or over on BI. Our first responsibility as a dog owner is to keep them safe at all costs. When it's hunting season there is always danger in the woods. Coyotes can now be shot 24/7/365, even from cars, day or night.
This forum is full enough of bad news, we don't need sad news that one night they didn't return home.
Keep them safe :!: :!: :!: Keep them in your sight :!: :!: :!:
Skull&CrossBones
Pam Smith

Post by Pam Smith »

BI Pirate of Whiskey Island.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your concerns with me. I am not sure I would ever take your concern the wrong way. I appreciate the information and am happy you care enough to take the time to share your concerns and the law with me.

I will continue to work on Daisy's and Annabel's response to my "come" command.

Again, thank you! You're pretty nice for a pirate

Pam
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Pam,
Please don't talk me up too much. I break lots of laws including the leash law. What I won't break is my promise to my pets to keep them safe. :D :D :D
Skull&CrossBones
Pam Smith

Post by Pam Smith »

Well... I suppose not always keeping the law of the land is just part of being a pirate. So I won't be forgetting that anytime soon.

Take Care
pam moxham

Post by pam moxham »

pam to pam...

now that it is darker earlier ..o joy...and lots of wonderful smells for pups to check out ,chances for your pups to go a roving may increase.

Some suggestions...can you rig up a dog run ?{ Skyline type}That way they could do whatever needed to be done and sniff the air safely. We did that for ours when we had a spot in the UP . {bears ,wolves,coyotes, hunters ,}

can you rig up a small dog yard ? snow fencing may work just fine depending on your pups.. again outside do what needs to be done and get their furry butts back inside promptly.

can you walk them BEFORE their 5pm suppertime { from previous posts}

can you sew , crochet knit tat a blaze orange /reflective jacket for each of them? Wont do much for the coyotes but may prevent a hunter from mistaking them...and if they run off you can see them as they disappear.

wishing you and pups a safe and long healthy life on BI
best to you all, pam moxham
Pam Smith

Post by Pam Smith »

Pam to Pam,

What a wonderful name you have, my dear!!

Thank you so much for taking your time to send me these suggestions. I had thought of some of these. I have started taking them on a longer walk prior to the 5 pm eating and taking them out for just a short walk prior to darkness.

I have also noticed they stay with me if I go out and walk with them. The last time they ran I had received a phone call. I was outside, but I suppose not paying enough attention to them. That's when they both ran away.

So honestly changing my own behavior has helped so much.

Peace to you,

Pam Smith
stardust

makes life easy

Post by stardust »

Get one of these it will solve the problem

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PIF-300-PetSaf ... 1438.l2649
Pam Smith

Post by Pam Smith »

Hi, Stardust.

Thank you for the suggestion. We have an electric fence at out home downstate. Great success with our three dogs before these two. These two seem to think it's more important to get out of the yard than it is to get shocked. We even have the shock coller on the highest setting.

I wish something like this would work, but as long as I stay outside and walk with them they stay in the yard or just inside the wood to potty or in the puppy's case to get large tree branches.

Thanks for your time! I will be here less than 2 weeks now. 🙁
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Great suggestions. My worry about an electrical fence on the island is that it would give you a false sense of security. I am always more worried about what would come into the fence than my dog leaving the fence. The wild animals and birds of prey can certainly still reach your babies.

Love your positive post and kindness Pam. Looking forward to meeting you this next summer! Enjoy your winter.

Thanks

Kathe
Pam Smith

Post by Pam Smith »

Thank you, Kathe! I would love to met more people here. I am going to attend the Threads group this Wednesday morning if all is well.

I saw a couple of hunters this morning on West Side road. Reminded me of this post and all the warnings and advise I have received. I appreciate it all!
Pam Smith

Re: Dogs out Walking late at night

Post by Pam Smith »

Well, these were some crazy posts! Hoping to get back home in a couple of weeks. I have plans for my dog, we'll see if she listens and obeys!!

Looking forward to seeing everyone including all the K-9!!