BIRHC board of directors are ???

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Ken,
Your Saturday posts will be like opening an Advent calendar without expecting any miracle before or after Christmas. I wouldn't look for any miracles before tax day especially out of Washington but also for Beaver Island. When the boat stops running, there won't be much dental equipment coming over. Keep us posted every Saturday with the numbers. It will be good for my mobile dental practice. I'm going to order some snow tires from Duff for the Bean's suite.
I'm laying down a wager for the BIRHC: A bottle of Sailor Jerry Rum that spring comes to the island before a practicing dentist. Yours truly excluded.
Skull&CrossBones
lach

Post by lach »

Ken, just wondering, how does one become part of the Board of Directors of the BIRH
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Ken

Ken,

You are right it is scary. Because you removed the post I was concerned about I don't think it is fair to you to keep up my post in reference to yours.

Again, you have a passion and I respect that.

To the visitors and potential homeowners:

Beaver island is magical. The beautiful beaches, trails, water and sunsets are just the beginning. The families that call this home are hard working good people. Please do not let a a few stop you from visiting. We came 8 years ago and could not imagine leaving. Check out the chamber, the beaver beacon and Google videos of the island. Please know that many of the people on here being rude and causing issues do not live here year round, some have no property here. Come visit the island. When you come by boat you are greeted by islanders that have had family here generations back. Visit the grocery store and check out one the great selection of products. Stroll down town and you will know why it is called Paradise bay. Stop by the community center and talk with the ladies. Thier love for the island is contagious. I promise you you will fall in love. Beaver Island is truly a Paradise.

Kathe Meade
Last edited by meadefamily on Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Ken took down the post that started this firestorm...so here we go!
Last edited by meadefamily on Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Kathe, thank you so much for taking the time to post your response to this topic on the forum. I would almost guarantee that most Island residents would agree that your post is perfect. I have tried to stress from the beginning that the whole thread and threads are completely one sided. If it is meant to be the Island will have a new Dentist some day. Again I thank you for a wonderful post.

John McCafferty
Andy's Grooming Barn

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

Thank you John, you took the words out of my mouth. Kathe your insight of the island is the reason we moved here full time and although I love many things about this beautiful island, I love the wonderful community and the caring people the most and it saddens me when there is so much negativity on this forum and all the good is missed.

Lately every place we go people are asking how my husband is doing since he had two stints put in because of a 80-90% blockage. We had a bunch of firefighters along with a few other community members come out and cut a huge amount of wood to help make it easier for us going into the winter, what a great community we have!! I should also mention that if it wasn't for Carolyn and Sue at the health center and their wonderful attention in getting my husband into a stress test and contacting a cardiologist, getting him on medication asap that he may not have known about the blockage until after a heart attach.

Now I am not going to claim that I know the ins and outs of Ken's issues but pretty sure there is more than what he is saying as often people only see/report one side. As for me myself I love this community and truly love and respect the health center and all of the help that they have given us!

Thank you Kathe for speaking up as many do not because they are afraid of being verbally attached on this forum.
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn
Kim Connaghan Jones

Post by Kim Connaghan Jones »

I also want to thank you for posting, Kathe. You are quite right in the posts being very one sided. It's a shame good people who continue to do good things for the island are being dragged through the mud because of it.
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

Some may be more eloquent than others. Some may not like the method of delivery. As much as some think Ken is trying to shame the board, the shaming of Ken and his passion isn't going to make the problems go away.

Speaking of playground behavior. It's a playground tactic to beat up the messenger when you don't like the message

Oh, and the mention of harassment charges, you probably do need someone to help you understand the definition and the process. I don't think the board would want to find themselves in court to silence someone for harassment. This would open themselves up to depositions that would make them VERY uncomfortable.
Darby Campbell

Post by Darby Campbell »

There have been some good replies here. One suggestion was to hear from Dr. White but I would point out that she has made her decision to leave for whatever reason and entering back into fray would make no sense, she is gone and anything now would be too little too late. I would guess that what many people would really like to hear is from the health center board showing leadership and responsibility by a public announcement outlining what steps that are being taken to hire a new dentist and when that person will be set up in the health center. What is their target date for solving the issue that they are willing to be held accountable to provide? You have heard from dozens of people voicing opinions on these posts but haven't heard anything from the board taking decisive action to resolve the vacancy of a dentist that is hurting the over all health care on Beaver Island and costing people hundreds of dollars out of pocket. These and other issues give Mr. Taylor fuel for his anger which my guess might have more support than one might think.
I would suggest that the health center board simply stand up and speak up.

DC
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Link broke reposted below
Last edited by meadefamily on Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

DC,

You seem to be a new face on the forum, but joined in 2009. Tell us a little about you. Do you live on the island? Is this your real name? Others may know you, but I have not had the pleasure.

As far as hearing from Dr. White...how exactly did Ken get the letter and he has implied on more than one post he has spoke with her. So I would say Dr. White has not removed herself. If she had I would hope she would he horrified by Ken's behavior on recent post.

As far as your suggestion of hearing from the board. I sit in two nonprofit boards and I can assure you that from a professional perspective they are doing exactly what they should...not engaging in this nonsense.

If you are sincerely interested in the outcome, pick up the phone and call. Go to a board meeting, become involved.

Perhaps you could look at this from another perspective. They are running a business that is vital to the community. They are truly the life line to the community and the people that live there. They serve a rural community with many elders. The staff at the Center does not need this distraction. The board does not need the harassment. They need the support of the community. Ken has some valid concerns, but his method of delivery causes the concerns to be lost in the process. Give the board time to find answers. Asking them to engage in the forum is not fair. These are volunteer positions, and the board members have families, own businesses, have Thier own life struggles. This all happened less than a month ago. Maybe if Ken and you and Pike would just give some grace and give them time they could find a solution.

Looking forward to hearing more about you. You seem to be engaged about ways to make difference to better the community!!

Kathe Meade
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Pike,

Thank you for the compliments. My words may seem eloquent to you, but be assured they are much more than that. My words did not "beat up the messenger". Ken should be held accountable for his behavior. Your accusation of me shaming him is comical. Ken's post are attempts to shame others...out of his own post, "the wall of shame". Give me a break Pike...you over reached there as well.

O and on another note Mr. Pike, your coming after me does not distract anyone from Ken's actions. Nice try! It seems so easy to sit far away from the island with no skin in the game and cheer on Ken. Let's call it what it really is...you enjoy the chase. Unfortunately at others expense.

Let me give you a lesson in contributing and committing...the Islanders, they commit. Thier life is the island. Let me simplify it for you.

Imagine a breakfast of steak and eggs...the chicken contributed, the cow, he committed. Chew on that for awhile.

http://www.newlafayette.org/community/b ... l-problem/

Kathe Meade
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Ken

Your last post is altered to a great positive post about the island. So my post does not make sense anymore, as your laundry list of issues is now gone! So I too will alter my post to follow.

You are so right! Beaver Island is a great place and the list of things you mentioned are spot on!

Kathe Meade
Last edited by meadefamily on Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Kathe And Anyone Else Reading This Post-
For full disclosure let me state that Taylors are dear friends of ours, have been for many years, continue to be and will be forever more. This is our 43rd consecutive summer on Beaver Island following my parents and grandparents who first came in 1934. Beaver Island is my residence and where I vote. I have personally experienced BIRHC and its board of directors first hand which I will share with you.
A few years ago I had a regrettable incident which took me to the Health Center. My treatment was substandard which cost me hand surgery, 5 days in the hospital with a 24 hour antibiotic drip and thousands of dollars out of pocket. Upon my return to the Island I requested that I attend a board meeting to express my concerns. The board refused to meet with me because of the Open Meeting's Act and fear that I would disclose my concerns in public. I then wrote a letter to each board member indicating my willingness to meet with them individually or in a group constituting less than a quorum to share my concerns. I did not receive one response from a single board member. It was only then I took my case to an attorney who recommended that I go through the State of Michigan Public Health Department with my complaints.
The State of Michigan spent several hours interviewing me and reviewing my documentation. They also contacted the BIRHC for their side of the case and made one or more visits to Beaver Island to review HC records and interviews. The process took one year and the out come was the State ruled in my favor, placing the care giver on probation for "Negligence and Incompetence". My only regret in taking the case to the State is that they were not empowered to find the BIRHC board of directors to be Negligent and Incompetent which was my belief. This is the first time I have shared my experience publically but feel the time is right.
Doctor Wendy White and Ken Taylor have every right to express the concerns that they have regarding the BIRHC and board for their conduct. You, Kathe, have every right to attempt to counter those concerns. I know which camp I am banking on.
If anyone would like the full details of my case and outcome, I will be most happy to provide them on this public Forum.
Last edited by sbsp on Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kirk
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

Kathe writes.... "Mr. Pike, your coming after me does not distract anyone from Ken's actions. Nice try! It seems so easy to sit far away from the island with no skin in the game and cheer on Ken. Let's call it what it really is...you enjoy the chase. Unfortunately at others expense.

Let me give you a lesson in contributing and committing...the Islanders, they commit. Thier life is the island. Let me simplify it for you.

Imagine a breakfast of steak and eggs...the chicken contributed, the cow, he committed. Chew on that for awhile. "

- - - -

My reply.... The reason I don't have "skin in the game" is because for the 13 years we vacationed on Beaver Island, 2-4 weeks a year, we witnessed the crap and made a conscious choice to not buy property. My "skin in the game" is the safety of my family and the possibility that we may need the services of the health center. We have chosen to come and enjoy the summer and leave the turmoil at the dock when we left.

Don't be so foolish as to think only homestead and non-homestead owners have "skin in the game". It is that mentality that has caused so many of the problems on Beaver Island.

I will at least give you credit, I love the chase, especially when some of the very things that concerned us about Beaver Island are being exposed.

I also serve on a non-profit board. I can tell you the behavior of certain health center board members would not be tolerated. It is a HUGE responsibility. There are people that are not capable because of their knowledge or skill-sets in a particular field. There are also people that are not capable because they are doing it for the wrong reason. This is not a slam on the island, but a reality that the pool of qualified board members is so small that these boards need to look beyond the island for it's members. If there is a residency requirement, then that needs to be looked at. It's in the best interest of those in control now that the pool is so small because they may find themselves without the authority they crave if the pool was enlarged.

Oh and just one more thing before I get back to work. The cow doesn't have a choice when it comes to commitment. A third party chooses it's role. I guarantee if the cow had a choice, it wouldn't make the commitment you chose from it. Chew on that for awhile.