New Usernames

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

K.A. Pike

New Usernames

Post by K.A. Pike »

I see the newest trend on the forum is to establish a second username. It's become evident that if you identify yourself on this board and someone disagrees with you, your toast.

Just so everyone is on the same page, here's what you do. Use your real username and sign off with your real name when you say nice things. Then have a second username when you want to go up against someone or slam someone. That way when you meet someone on the street only you know who you really are.

It's an unfortunate reality of internet forums, not just here. Most people are a lot bolder and say things on forums they would never say to someone's face. With the ability to have multiple usernames it makes it even easier for someone to say something they never would say at a town meeting if they had to look someone in the eye.

...and now back to our regularly scheduled programing.
Darby Campbell

Post by Darby Campbell »

Mr. Pike makes a very good point about names on the forum. I guess avatars can be your real name or an online name. I think I am the guilty culprit of reviving Mr. Taylor's post on Dr. White leaving the health center that the buccaneer refers to in his post. I'm new and sure I'm the only person on the forum who doesn't know who the buccaneer really is in person but I feel I have to address his concerns with seperate post.
Darby Campbell, who you see is who you get.
Darby Campbell

Post by Darby Campbell »

Mr. Taylor, I am concerned by some of your continued posts like this one. I'm not concerned about your topics or intent but what I am concerned about is what I don't read in them but what may be implied. Why would a posting by the buccaneer "bring a ton of hate upon his shoulders"? Are people afraid to use their real names when posting for fear of retaliation either on the forum or to them personally? I detect in some of Mr. McCafferty's posts that there seems to be a current of hate that runs through Beaver Island beyond just the Dr. White issue. I hope that I am wrong as this would not be healthy long term for a community struggling for a brighter future.
Just my thoughts and observations as an outsider. Please disregard if I am off base.

DC
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

Ken, there is absolutely no reason to defend backwoodsbuccaneer, in fact I couldn't agree with you more. Backwoodsbuccaneer probably has another username on this forum, but in this forum environment can't use it because they fear for the repercussions.

In fact on a different note I wonder if backwoodsbuccaneer is related to the BI Pirate, since both are a kind of privateer. It's always good to hear from the BI Pirate and I hope the backwoodsbuccaneer can add a new outlook on the topics.
Darby Campbell

Post by Darby Campbell »

I'm finding out more about Beaver Island just reading this forum over the past month than I learned over my few years of visiting. Unbelievable. Is it that "some" people just don't like people in positions of authority or professionals? Are the "some" the same ones (clique) against or for Dr. White or the health center and board? Sounds like the best entertainment on the island is attending meetings and reading the forum.

DC