Cottage History

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Bruce Beaudoin

Cottage History

Post by Bruce Beaudoin »

My family recently bought a cottage from Sandra Dubay on the south end of the King's Highway. It is the first cabin north of the old school on the east side of the highway. I have been told that the cabin was relocated from near town to its current location. I was hoping to find out some history about the cabin. If anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Phyllis Moore

Post by Phyllis Moore »

Hi Bruce ~

Your cabin was originally built by Henry Allen and was located at Donegal Bay. When the American Central Corporation bought Allen out and developed the now Port St. James area, some of the cabins were moved to the harbor area while others found new homes in the Port St. James and yours was moved to its present location. Most have been completely redone and are unrecognizable as the original design. Yours is one that looks as it did when it was on the beach at Donegal. Hope this helps.
Bruce Beaudoin

Post by Bruce Beaudoin »

Phyllis thank you so much more the info. I had been told that the cabin had been moved but I wasn't sure about the original location. Plus the info on who built the cabin was a bonus I did not expect. Thanks a million.
tomrock

Post by tomrock »

I think some of the other cabins are on Leonard Lane in Port St. James.
Marie LaFreniere

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

Bruce,

We have a picture of Allen's Cabins on the harbor.

Stop by sometime when you're here if you'd like to see it.

Marie & Jerry