BIBCO posting for a friend

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

skasbaum

BIBCO posting for a friend

Post by skasbaum »

I am posting this for a friend. She wanted me to use her name but I choose not to in case their was retribution by the powers that be on BI. I had the same issue after always paying $20 to have my vehicle valeted to the airport on arrival. Also, we had a rental that canceled this fall because the cost for four adults, two children, and an auto was just too expensive. I am writing a letter to BIBCO as well in hopes that enough letters will force the board to have to look at this.

I have lived full-time on Beaver Island for 34 years. My family has been coming to visit me on Beaver Island every summer since I moved here. They drive to Charlevoix, put their car on the ferry and fly to the island. They have a 13-14 hour drive to Charlevoix, so they don't want to add another 4 to 4 1/2 hours that would be required to take the boat after that very long car ride. It's not a realistic choice.

I find it incomprehensible that you now charge people who put their car on the ferry but do not take the ferry. I appreciate your transfer service that picks up at the airport and delivers them back to the airport, but to charge us NOT to ride the ferry seems ridiculous, unfair and is frankly, maddening.

I did hear that you justify the charge because people are leaving their cars in your parking spaces for several days and you don't have room to accommodate that. I can understand you wanting to charge those people, but what about people who send their cars over and immediately pay your transfer service to bring them to the airport? They are not leaving their cars in your parking place. They are paying you to have your transfer service take them directly to the airport. Charging them seems like double-dipping.

Also I'm not the only person who thinks charging for NOT riding the ferry is just dead wrong and I bet you are going to continue having to explain it to people because it just makes no sense. I'm not the only person who thinks charging for NOT riding the ferry is just dead wrong and I bet you are going to continue having to explain it to people because it just makes no sense.

I'd like to ask you to reconsider your decision to charge for NOT taking the ferry. Come on guys, this just isn't right. And by the way, I tried to use your online form to email you but it didn't seem to be working.
jacquel

Post by jacquel »

Here is a simple idea. When vehicle is checked in, ask if they are riding with the vehicle. If not, give them a stringed tag to fill in name and phone number. Tell them keys will be at the office on the other side when whoever comes to pick up the vehicle. If the vehicle is still there at the end of the day (keys not picked up), the office puts a red (or other color) dot on the tag. Each dot represents a $10 charge for the overnight vehicle.
Advantages: dock crew knows immediately which vehicles will not be driven away by passengers and which to park.
:Boat company charges only those who do not pick up their vehicles that day, not everybody who sends a vehicle over and doesn't ride with it.
: easy to implement on both sides, little extra time and little extra cost.
:fee is enough to make those abusers take notice but not so high to offend folks.
megsing3

Post by megsing3 »

I don't understand the confusion.
The $20 fee is for the valet service. There is also a charge for parking. One is a convenience (valet) and the other is a necessity (parking).
This is not double-dipping, right?
skasbaum

Post by skasbaum »

Megsing, that is not correct. The $20 is for the valet to the airport or wherever, the $25 is not for parking it is a fee imposed if you don't ride across on the boat with the vehicle. Parking would then be a separate fee which we pay by having a yearly parking sticker @ $200 from Charlevoix.
skasbaum

Post by skasbaum »

Hey Jaque, just seeing this. That is a great idea and I'm hoping one of the board members takes note! There should be a simple fix to this unfortunate issue.
duffer

face it

Post by duffer »

lets face it the island is becoming to expensive for the average person. it is why finding help here is a loss, seasonal to start with at best housing renting by the week! and everything else is 30 percent more than the mainland. as a business owner the housing and cost both kill the school.s growth and the the islands ability to grow, it is a sad time when developing the island is the only way there is work. i saw the housing becoming an issue. if you have kids your hired right away with no regards as to weather they will be able to stay, I have even seen real-estate sold knowing full well the person can't afford it, that is how the economy crashed the first time. I came knowing full well all of this because i have visited here forever. I would hope we could build a nice community that was not just retirtees but families. we need both. I don't have all the answers but i have lots of good ideas but know better than bring them up!
duffy