Katherine Ricksgers obituary

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

cindyr

Katherine Ricksgers obituary

Post by cindyr »

Katherine Elizabeth Ricksgers of Beaver Island, Michigan passed away quietly on August 7, 2017, in her home, surrounded by family and friends.
Katherine was born on October 19, 1928, one of six children born to George and Otilia (Schmidt) Ricksgers. She was born and raised in the same farm house on the Kingâ??s Highway where she spent her retirement years. She attended the Sunnyside School through eighth grade, and went to the high school in St. James. She often read from the light of the moon shining into her bedroom window.
After graduation and a short stint of working as a waitress at a restaurant in town, Katherine moved to Pontiac. She worked at the soda counter of a drug store until getting a job in the mail room at Pontiac Motors, where she was employed for thirty years.
Katherine enjoyed sports and games; she was active in bowling leagues in the winter, and golf leagues in the summer. She played poker and many other card games.
Katherine liked to travel. She visited many scenic areas of the United States by car, from the New Jersey shore to the Gulf of Mexico. She visited Beaver Island every year. After retirement, Katherine took an extensive tour through Alaska, and visited several European countries.
Katherine was preceded in death by her parents, George and Otilia, her step-mother Florence, and brothers: Henry, Alfred, Robert and Kenneth. She is survived by her sister, Margaret, and many nieces and nephews.
Visitation will be held at 7:00 P.M., on Sunday, August 13, at the Holy Cross Church on Beaver Island. Funeral services will be 11 A.M. Monday, August 14, followed by interment at Holy Cross cemetery.
In lieu of flowers, donations in her name to Beaver Island Hospice, the Beaver Island Historical Society, or Holy Cross Altar Society would be greatly appreciated.
Cindy
duffer

life

Post by duffer »

I cried when i heard this. i used to fix her cars she would come bring baxter and we would talk for hours on many subjects, i will miss her and give you and bob a big hug. she was very inspirational to me and loved just stopping when she was gardening and talk. i missed baxter to when he passed. a truly great lady!
duffy