Beaver Head Light

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

I'm Just The Messenger

Beaver Head Light

Post by I'm Just The Messenger »

We have been in contact with Charlevoix Public Schools (the owner), and Traverse Bay Intermediate School District (Lighthouse School) and the State Historical Preservation Office in regards to the deteriorating condition of the Beaver Head Lighthouse. Their easement states that they will preserve and maintain the historic integrity of the buildings. Thus far they have been of no assistance in the restoration of the buildings.

We would like to have an attorney work pro bono to evaluate the easement between these entities.

We are encouraging everyone to write letters of concern about the condition of the buildings to:
State Historic Preservation Office
735 Michigan Ave
Lansing, MI 48915

You can see pictures of the condition of the building on Facebook at :
www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=beaver%2 ... connection

Dick McEvoy
Loie Connaghan
Marie LaFreniere
Last edited by I'm Just The Messenger on Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

It's my understanding that Charlevoix Public Schools or the ISD signed an agreement in perpetuity to maintain these facilities, is this true? They had staff take plenty of money to administer this place and perhaps retirements.....they should have the same responsibility to maintain the lighthouse as agreed. Can anyone verify this? I saw pictures of the sad shape the place has become for lack of proper oversite, this is not right!
I'm Just The Messenger

They both entered into an agreement in 2004, to make the Beaver Head  a lighthouse a National Historic Place. They agreed to maintain and preserve the historic importance of the structure. They received around $500,000 in grant at that time. We have pictures of some work that was done. They certainly didn't live up to their responsibility to maintain and preserve. D

Dick McEvoy
medic5740

Sending a letter

Post by medic5740 »

I just sent a letter to the address given. I believe that they need to live up to their agreements.

Joe Moore
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

I have an email in to our congressman regarding this issue.
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

We have learned that Beaver Head Lighthouse property is in bureaucratic limbo. The U S General Services Administration is deciding who should be the owner. There seems to be a battle between Charlevoix public Schools and Network Northwest (lighthouse school). Allot of Federal money had been used at the school. All we can do now is to encourage Rep. Jack Bergman to escalate the GSA decision. Please write him with your concerns about the lighthouse, he will be on our side so be nice.

Rep. Jack Bergman
1396 Douglas Dr. suite 22b
Traverse City. MI 49696
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Good job everyone! E-mails are good but come into Bergman's office staggered and some what helter-skelter. Think about a petition with hard signatures on it. It may have a bigger impact. :idea: :idea: :idea:
Skull&CrossBones
I'm Just The Messenger

We hope there are letters and emails going out!
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Absolutely disgraceful! I hope our township officials are pursuing action on this as well! Thanks to Joe for his efforts!