St. Pat's activities

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

piper

St. Pat's activities

Post by piper »

For the benefit of visitors, what activities are planned for St. Patrick's Day (Saturday, March 17) on Beaver Island?

Many thanks!
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Piper, I usually emcee the events but haven't heard the whole story yet but we usually have games both inside and out including the fish toss, tug o war, relay (very funny) race and much more. Inside we have King and Queen contest, fish stomp, limerick contest, plunge it and more. Naturally and literally there will be a pub crawl and so on. Hope this answers your question. Perhaps the "other" Piper could chime in, he has been here many times. 'Slan!!
piper

St. Pat's activities

Post by piper »

Fish stomp? Is this what I think it is? Indoors?

What time does the fun begin?
jmcbain2

Yeah yeah

Post by jmcbain2 »

Sorry, the system wouldn't let me log in under my old address.

Piper, all your wildest Celtic wishes come true on that day ... that is all you need to know.

Also, the fish stomp is not what you think it is ... actually that depends on the sobriety of the participants.
jmcbain2

Post by jmcbain2 »

starts around noonish, island time.
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Jeremy, Did you make it over a couple years ago when the weather was so bad and we had to do the "modified" fish toss?? Too funny!
jmcbain2

Post by jmcbain2 »

yep. haven't missed a year since 2000.
Got stuck on the island that weekend too for a couple of day thanks to the weather.
piper

Post by piper »

Stuck on the Island? It beats work!
Linda

Post by Linda »

What's the time frame for the St. Paddy's activities? ( Island time of course) :lol:

Linda Wearn
Marie LaFreniere

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

The outdoor games begin at 1:00 p.m. and the indoor festivities are usually over around 6:00 p.m.

Rumor has it that this year there will be a Paddy's Feud (similair to Family Feud) as part of the King and Queen contest. So if anyone is planning on entering the contest, you may want to brush up on your Island/Ireland history.

The Doghouse Boodlers will be playing at the Shamrock on Friday and Saturday night.

The Beachcomber will also be open, especially for those who don't like the crowd in the Shamrock on Saturday.

Inis Anam (Isle Soul), a new island band consisiting of Cindy Gillespie-Cushman, Kevin White, Patti Cull and Miranda Rooy will be making their debut at Donegal Danny's on Friday. They play Irish and Country music.

Danny and Danny, Edward Palmer and Cindy Gillespie-Cushman will be at Donegal Danny's on Saturday night.
piper

St. Patrick's Day

Post by piper »

Also Saturday night at Donegal Danny's: a mystery guest on the Great Highland Bagpipes (and possibly smallpipes, if audible).
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Uh oh, I hope Jeremy doesn't see this!! It could trigger a case of Reifenstein syndrome!! Hahaha, look forward to all the visitors and islanders coming home for the "Great Day"! Maybe you can get a pipers ride in the "Paddy Wagon", no its not what you think!!! Slan'
piper

St. Patrick's Day

Post by piper »

Uhhh... I know better than to ask, but here goes... can one ride with any dignity -- in a kilt -- in the "Paddy Wagon"?

Didn't think so....

Actually, Jeremy was instrumental in securing the piper for St. Patrick's Day, and may also join in a duet or two.
jmcbain2

piper

Post by jmcbain2 »

This is true. I am passing the torch. Due to my training for the Highland Games season I have not been able to properly practice the pipes as of late. Since I wanted the islanders to have the best possible pipe music they can get, I suggested someone that is much, much better than I to take over the gig at Danny's. But, I will bring my pipes, just for a lark, as well as three other Celtic strongmen who compete with me at the Celtic Games.
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

You bring the pipes and we'll figure out a way to hide your plumbing!! See you this weekend!