Grand Rapids Party

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

beckyg24

Grand Rapids Party

Post by beckyg24 »

Hello All,
I was just wondering if a date has been set for the Grand Rapids Party yet?

I really don't want to miss it!!
Marie LaFreniere

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

Paul Cole asked me to post as he's having technical difficulties with this site.

The party is on February 24th.

The Committee is getting together this weekend to do the announcements so they should probably be in the mail this coming week.
Diane O'Donnell

Beaver Island Party

Post by Diane O'Donnell »

Please visit our website at www.beaverislandclub.com and click on current year to see a copy of the announcement for this year. The Hilton has already blocked our rooms, so please feel free to call and make your reservations now. All the information is on the announcement.
Thanks,
Diane O'Donnell
Marie LaFreniere

Hi Diane,

Will there be a meal before the party like there was last year?

And I hear congratulations are in order! =D> Or is that best wishes to the bride?
Shirley Cole

BICGR PARTY DETAILS

Post by Shirley Cole »

Just wanted to provide some further information for those interested in attending our party next month.

*HOTEL: Make sure you mention the BI Celebration when booking your rooms to get the discount rate. The Hilton has undergone extensive renovations with at least a million dollars worth of improvements, and we're fortunate that they've agreed to keep their rates reasonable for us to continue with this venue.

*FOOD: We decided not to have another buffet dinner before the party predominantly due to the questionable number of attendees. We have to provide the Hilton with a head count and pay for the food regardless of whether enough people show up to eat it. We thought of taking advance reservations, but if we get a bad snowstorm (as we did in years past), then we're going to be really stuck. There's also the concern that more people would show up than what we had planned for, and we wouldn't want to have to turn anyone away. So no dinner this year, but we'll still have appetizers during the party.

*LIQUOR: We convinced the Hilton to stock us with their top shelf liquor for the same price we were paying for the well/rockgut, and we'll also be using larger containers this year so you'll get more for your money. So no more running down to the hotel bar to get a bigger or better drink ~ remember your drink $$$ at the party will ultimately benefit the Island community while your drink $$$ at the hotel bar will only benefit Paris. ;-) (and Lord knows, she doesn't need the money!)

*CHINESE AUCTION: We're trying something new this year as this type of auction has proven to be a fun way to win some good stuff while at the same time raise even more money for the Islanders. There will be a separate room off from the party (where dinner was held last year), and in that room will be various items up for auction. In front of each item will be a sheet of paper with a designated number of lines (I think it's ten or twenty lines per item). People can then "buy a line" for any item they may be interested in. People can also buy more than one line for the same item to increase their chances of winning. Keep in mind, the odds are already set at one in ten or one in twenty, and the more lines you buy, the better your odds. "Lines" cost anywhere from $5 to $25 depending on the value of the item. At 10-11pm, we'll pick up all the sheets and when the band takes a break, we'll draw numbers from a hat for each item. If we pull the number 7, then whosever name is on line number 7 is the winner of that item. Dave Westmaas (our esteemed President Diane O'Donnell's FIANCEE'!) (CONGRATULATIONS!) will be coordinating this event, and stated that his sportsman's club typically raises over $100,000 every year for charity bidding on items like charter fishing trips, etc. While our auction won't be quite at that level, we do plan to present some great opportunities.

*RAFFLES: We still plan to have the 50/50 raffle and basket of joy, while the island getaway weekend that was formerly raffled off will now be given away as the grand door prize in thanks for your entrance donation and continued support. So be sure to put your name on an entry slip when you arrive to be eligible for this drawing!

Please check our website for more party particulars at www.beaverislandclub.com , and don't forget to view our pictures. We're in desperate need of new ones ;-) (though we still love you, Mary, and I had nothing to do with it!), so feel free to bring/send us your pics from party's past so we can add them accordingly. The BICGR continues its efforts to make these parties most enjoyable while creating opportunity to give back to the Island community. We welcome new members to help keep this tradition going, and look forward to seeing everyone next month! Slan'!
Marie LaFreniere

Paul Cole has asked me to post to remind everyone who is going to the Grand Rapids Party that you need to make your room reservations at the Hilton as soon as possible.

The Hilton is still under going renovations so all rooms are not available and there is another function at the hotel on the 24th.

The phone number is 616-957-0100. Make sure you mention Beaver Island Celebration so you will get the $71.00 rate. If you have a problem when making the reservation, ask to speak with Michael Kelly.

The Hilton will also be selling pizza, hamburgers, etc. from 6:30 p.m. until 10:00 p.m. in a room adjacent to the Party. I understand they'll be handing out flyers with the food choices and prices when you check in.