Help In Keeping Spyware From Your Computer

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Gillespie

Help In Keeping Spyware From Your Computer

Post by Gillespie »

From the Kim Komando website, she is good with computer tips:
http://www.komando.com/downloads/category.aspx?id=2271

Getting rid of pernicious spyware

My computer has all kinds of problems. It is slow, and I am getting pop-ups. I downloaded an anti-spyware program from your freebies. I ran a scan and it said I have spyware. But it did not fix the problem. I bit the bullet, and bought Norton Internet Security. The box said it was for viruses, spyware, adware, etc. It fixed most of the viruses, but I still get pop-ups that tell me I have Trojans and spyware. How can I fix my problem?

I can understand your frustration. It sounds like you have a nasty case of spyware. I'm guessing it is CoolWebSearch or one of its variants.

This program used to be a big problem. But I haven't heard much about it lately.

Fortunately, there is a program that should attack it. It's called About:Buster. It will also remove the About:Blank browser hijacker. You'll find a download link to the program on my site. It's free.

You should run About:Buster. Then run your antivirus software. Finally, run two or more anti-spyware programs. If you need any of these programs, I have links to free ones on my site.

This should clean your system, even if the problem is not CoolWebSearch.

Also, install a custom HOSTS file. That will keep any Registry entries from downloading the malware again.

I also recommend that you switch to Firefox. Some CoolWebSearch variants are reported to work with Firefox. But problems are less likely if you switch from Internet Explorer.

After cleaning your system, delete your restore points. Windows creates these to help you go back in time. If you experience a problem, you use them to revert to a time when everything was okay.

Restore points can harbor Trojans, viruses and spyware. They can re-infect the computer if you use them after cleaning the system.

To delete your restore points, click Start>>Control Panel. Double-click System. Open the System Restore tab. Click the box next to "Turn off System Restore on all drives." Click Apply>>OK.

Reboot your computer and turn System Restore back on. To do this, click Start>>Control Panel. Double-click System. On the System Restore tab, deselect "Turn off System Restore on all drives." Click Apply>>OK.

To avoid problems like this in the future, watch what you download. Use a program like SiteAdvisor to warn of potentially dangerous sites. It could save you a lot of grief!

Also, do not accept unexpected offers of free programs. If you get a pop-up offering a free download, ignore it. Click the X in the top right corner to close the pop-up. Do not click a "No" button. It might well download the program.

Downloads probably include an ActiveX control. These are intended to facilitate user interactions with the Internet. But they can easily be misused by malicious people. They work with Internet Explorer, but not Firefox.

CoolWebSearch probably also is being distributed through attachments. This is easy to avoid. Delete all spam! If CoolWebSearch arrives via spam, using Firefox will not protect you. But if your antivirus and anti-spyware programs are up to date, they may kill CoolWebSearch.

I wouldn't bank on that, though. Your best defense is common sense. Do not open spam! Delete it!

This Saturday, I am doing an extra hour of the weekend show. This hour will not be broadcast that day. It will be broadcast at a later date. So, if you ever wanted to call the show, this would be an excellent time.

The showâ??s toll-free number is 1-888-825-5254. The regular show is 7 to 10 a.m. Pacific time. The extra hour is 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Call anytime in that four-hour period. You'll have the best shot at getting through from 10 to 11.
Mike Evans

Firefox

Post by Mike Evans »

I would agree that Firefox will certainly help reduce pop-ups. I think that anyone would find Mozilla Firefox to be more user friendly, with better features as well. You can control which websites, if any, are allowed to give you pop-ups. (With most pop-ups you get, you'll be asked to allow it or continue to suppress it and a tool bar to control pop-ups will appear. That is, if you haven't already blocked all pop-ups.)

Another good piece of software is AVG. It's a free download, it will update itself daily while scanning (at any time you choose) and also tell you when new versions are available. An extremely user-friendly program. You can get the files here: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1
There's one for anti-virus (which is all I use) and one for anti-spyware.

I've tried lots of the spyware removal tools, all prior to getting AVG. I no longer have to run a program to clean my computer, because no cleaning has EVER been necessary. Thus I have no adware or virus removal tools at all. That is not to say nothing can happen to your computer, but I'm on the internet for multiple hours each day and do a lot or searching.

Hope the software is useful to the rest of you!