Celtic Games Sat. Sept 16, Don't miss them

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Hey -- more people -- that's great!
piper

Beaver Island Celtic Games

Post by piper »

The Grand Traverse Pipes & Drums had a wonderful time at the 2nd Annual Beaver Island Celtic Games -- just as I knew we would.

The other band members, first-timers to the Island, were very impressed with the hospitality and Gaelic spirit of the Island. I told 'em so -- but now they believe.

Thanks to the sponsors are in order: the Beaver Island Boat Co., The Shamrock, Stoney Acre Grill, and the Beaver Island Chamber of Commerce. We are grateful for your vision and support.

Thanks also to Steve West, Jeremy McBain (and Mrs. McBain!), the athletes (especially the indomitable Timmer Wearn), Celtic Fire Dancers, volunteers, and spectators.

Teresa Laurain deserves very special mention for her very special care of the athletes, dancers and musicians (and families) at Laurain Lodge.

We had wonderful meals at Dalwhinney Bakery & Deli, Stoney Acre Grill, and The Shamrock. We enjoyed plenty to drink at The Shamrock and Donegal Danny's Pub (thanks, Cindy, for everything).

If invited back, next year we plan to travel heavy, and bring our canopy tents, flags and banners, and a larger contingent of performers.

To all the friendly, gracious Beaver Islanders for making us welcome, a big SLAINTE MHATH! from your Scottish kinsmen and friends.
Jeff

Re: The Games

Post by Jeff »

Chamber of Commerce wrote:Vic McCarty will be shooting tape at the games for use by 9&10 News on Monday and for the 30 minute show on the Island he is working on.
Shoot - didn't see this at 6 or 11; was it on at 5 or did it get bumped to another night?
Chamber of Commerce

Post by Chamber of Commerce »

9&10 ran a nice (about 90 sec) piece in the 5:30-6:00 time slot.
Chamber of Commerce

Piper,

Your invited! Thanks for the kind words. :D Best wishes from Beaver Island.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Thanks steve - sorry I missed it. Hope others caught it at 5:30; I guess they also replayed it early this morning.
If invited back, next year we plan to travel heavy, and bring our canopy tents, flags and banners, and a larger contingent of performers.
If that was traveling light this year, I can't wait to see what you come up with next year :)
Jmcbain

Post by Jmcbain »

If the pipers are going to break out the big guns, then the athletes will have to follow suit. We will travel heavy too - BIGGER BOULDERS!!
piper

2007 Celtic Games

Post by piper »

Jeremy's right -- it takes big stones to be a successful heavy athlete.

The Grand Traverse Pipes & Drums will bring twice as many performers to next year's B.I. Celtic Games, and, as mentioned, our canopies, flags, and banners to add to the pageantry.

This year was a successful exploratory effort for us, and we see much promise for an expanded event. These Games are absolutely rich with possibilities. For us mainlanders, Beaver Island is another world; the minute the boat leaves Charlevoix, all cares are left behind and the magic begins. What a perfect opportunity!

We humbly suggest including the Island's Irish cultural heritage: Irish dancing and music, tradtional Irish games, storytelling for kids of all ages.

Perhaps hold a "kilted mile" run and a "kilted golf tournament"; an absolute must is an official evening ceilidh with Gaelic entertainment and dancing of all sorts.

Please let us know what the GTP&D can do to assist. We are looking forward to next year [thanks, Steve!].
Jmcbain

Post by Jmcbain »

I also would like to see more Irish included. There was a smattering mixed in with the Scottish elements, but the island has such a rich connection with Ireland added to the fact that many of the islanders have wonderful musical and dancing talents that there should be much more items we can include.

I also like the idea of a kilted mile run and kilted golf tournament. I would like to add more events that the general spectator can try out. Something to really make it a HUGE event for all.

The only difficulty is trying to get a large amount of people over to the island for it during September. I had many, many people call me to say they wanted to come over on Saturday, but the one ferry on Saturday was leaving Charlevoix too late to make the games. They did not want to leave on Friday because they did not want to take their children out of school to meet the one ferry that left at 2:30 p.m. And they all said while they understood there were two airlines traveling to the island, they could not afford to fly the whole family over. I am not sure what the solution to this transportation issue is.
Chamber of Commerce

Trans Issue

The Chamber will bring the "Trans Issue" to the attention of the Boat Co. I'm sure the nice folks at the B I Boat Co. would like to hear from their customers. Please express your views. Mike Evans is the Marketing Manager.

info@bibco.com
888-446-4095
Linda

Celtic Games

Post by Linda »

I thoroughly enjoyed the day watching the athletes, (go Timmer), pipers and dancers as well as socializing with the folks at the ball diamond. I will check with my Irish dancing groups (ceili and set dancing) to see if we can bring a group for the weekend. A ceili on Friday or Saturday night would be great! There are many possibilities to add to the great time last weekend--let's continue to formulate ideas. Every one I spoke to from the Scottish group were very friendly--my 2 1/2 year old granddaughter even made a few friends!

Linda Wearn
Ghillies

Post by Ghillies »

Hi Everyone!
A huge THANK YOU from Celtic Fire Highland Dancers for a wonderful weekend on Beaver Island.

Steve, Teresa, Jeremy and the folks at Donegal Danny's and The Shamrock........wow.........what hospitality! You all went above and beyond for my group!

For next year, we would love to see some Irish dancing included. People often think Highland Dancing is actually Irish when of course they are quite different. And we dancers love learning new things from other dancers. Perhaps an actual dance platform would be possible too? The idea of adding Irish music and storytelling is great too!

Ceilidh (ceili in Irish) - YES!! I have many Scottish ceilidh dances I can teach - great fun for young and old alike. No experience necessary - just a willingness to learn and a sense of humor.

My dancers are still talking about the wonderful time they had and are asking if we will do it again next year - even after the rough ride back to Charlevoix :oops:

My answer - YES if we are invited. Let me know if I can be of any help in the planning of next year's event.

Slainte
Lee Gwyn
Celtic Fire Highland Dancers
Ghillies

Post by Ghillies »

I forgot to mention.....as previously noted, the ferry schedule may have kept a lot of "day trippers" from attending. Perhaps the crowd would be bigger if folks could catch an early morning ferry to the island and a late afternoon return (or spend one night rather than two). Just a thought.

And shame on me for not saying "great job to all the athletes"!! You guys sure are fun to watch!!

Lee
Chamber of Commerce

It may be possible to have a morning boat on games day. That would provide for one night vs two. However, two nights means more Beaver Island fun! :D

Also, don't forget our island is served by air, Island Airways & Fresh Air Aviation. Prices have recently been reduced about 20%. If one only wants a "day trip" air is an option to consider.

Beaver Island is 60 sq miles. There is much to see and do before and after the games. www.beaverisland.org