Can anyone answer a few questions about BI?

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

PattyMcC

Can anyone answer a few questions about BI?

Post by PattyMcC »

We will be visiting Beaver Island the middle of August and staying on Big Sand Bay. Everyone, including the kids (10 year old boy and 4 year old boy/girl twins), is really looking forward to having some family time away from it all. Everyone Iâ??ve spoken to concerning our visit has been very helpful; I do, however, have some questions. If anyone can â??fill in some of the blanksâ?￾, Iâ??d be most appreciative!

1) How warm will the water be? The kids really want to swim.
2) Iâ??ve heard that mosquitoes can be a real problem â?? true?
3) Compared to grocery stores in say, Charlevoix, how expensive/extensive is the grocery store on Beaver Island? Iâ??d rather the merchants on the island get my money, but I really canâ??t afford to be spending $3 for a loaf of bread and $5 for a gallon of milk, either.
4) Approximate cost to rent 2 adult and 3 kidâ??s bicycles for a day or two.
5) Iâ??ve heard thereâ??s some kind of toy store on the island â?? any ideas?
6) Advice for best place(s) to go fishing.

Thanks again for any help you can give!

Patty in Indiana
Chamber of Commerce

Post by Chamber of Commerce »

Hi Patty,

Our Chamber of Commerce is here to help visitors enjoy Beaver Island. Best wishes from Beaver Island. :D

www.beaverisland.org
231 448-2505
jflanagan

Post by jflanagan »

Patty,

Haven't been to BI in August but have been many times at the end of July. Here are my answers

1) How warm will the water be? The kids really want to swim.

Depending on wind direction water maybe cold. But, many years ago mine enjoyed it.
This was a discussion last year re: beaches
http://www.beaverbeacon.com/forums/view ... t=swimming

and this re: water temp:
http://www.beaverbeacon.com/forums/view ... t=swimming

2) Iâ??ve heard that mosquitoes can be a real problem â?? true?

In the woods when wind is not blowing yes. Not on the beach in my experience.

3) Compared to grocery stores in say, Charlevoix, how expensive/extensive is the grocery store on Beaver Island? Iâ??d rather the merchants on the island get my money, but I really canâ??t afford to be spending $3 for a loaf of bread and $5 for a gallon of milk, either.

During Ferry season their prices are reasonable.

4) Approximate cost to rent 2 adult and 3 kidâ??s bicycles for a day or two.

My wife rented a bike for 3 days for $44

5) Iâ??ve heard thereâ??s some kind of toy store on the island â?? any ideas?

Plan on 2 hours or so at the Toy Museum (also a store)

6) Advice for best place(s) to go fishing.

Not sure, I'd suggest you go on a Kayak tour of an inland lake w/ Kayak Ken http://www.inlandseaskayaking.com and ask him about the lakes.

Jim (who left the Island today :c )
PattyMcC

Post by PattyMcC »

Thanks for the information - it's very helpful. Can anyone tell me if I should be worried, since the week we're going to be there coincides with Homecoming? Some of the posts I've read concerning Homecoming and the MSP weren't very... positive.