Robert Jewell Gillespie-RIP

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

KathyR

Post by KathyR »

Another sad loss for the Island. Condolences to family and friends.
kateg

Post by kateg »

So sorry to hear of Robert's passing. The Gillespie family is in our thoughts and prayers.
Kathie Gonyeau
duffer

sad

Post by duffer »

i was very saddened to hear this news, robert has been someone who has helped me and has had me do his personal repair work, i felt honored knowing he was a mechanical whizz himself, ill miss the conversations, always full and fun of mechanical knowledge. my heart goes out to a fine family i am also close to RIP,to one smart COOKIE!
duffy
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

So sorry for this news, Robert was a great friend, and a great leader on the island. Prayers for Lisa, Cody and the Gillespie family, he will be greatly missed.

Jeff Powers
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

On behalf of The Homoki family, The Geezer Gang, and The Biltz's we send our prayers to the family and the island. Those November deer hunting trips to Garden are with us forever. You made it happen pal! Al Biltz
President: "Northern Brotherhood of Geezers"
Beaver Island Jewelry

Post by Beaver Island Jewelry »

My thoughts and prayers are with Lisa and the family. Robert will be missed on Beaver Island.

Nancy
Fr. Gabe

Post by Fr. Gabe »

My condolences to all of the Gillespies. As I said when Robert built the shipwreck altar for me at Holy Cross "beautiful things can come from the shipwrecks of life if we pick up the pieces and work with them". May you keep alive the happy memories.
Fr. Gabe
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Remembering Robert of the late 50's and early 60's. How active he was, diving, playing golf, beach parties. He, Diane, Eleanor and I had some great times. I will miss that Robert.
Sharolyn

Post by Sharolyn »

There are never good words to say at a time like this ... know that you are in our thoughts.
Doug and Sharolyn
Sharolyn Hunter
pbona

Deepest Condolences

Post by pbona »

To all the Gillespie Family,
We'll remember Robert as a true Beaver Gem.
P. Bonadeo
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

As Sharolyn says, "There are never good words to say at a time like this..." That got me to thinking that Robert, at times, was a man of few words, preferring actions over words. If there was ever a need to act, he was there. When there were SOS emergencies on the lake requiring S & R, he was on the American Girl to the ready. I'm sure everyone has similar stories of his service to the island. He will be missed.
SIP Robert, "sail in peace" as you are called to service a larger sea.
Skull&CrossBones
megsing3

Post by megsing3 »

What sad news. Condolences to all of Robert's family and many friends. As everyone has said, he will be greatly missed!
PhilBecker

Post by PhilBecker »

A man who was larger than life itself. My sincerest condolences to Lisa, Cody, Brandon, the Gillespie family and all of Robert's many friends and associates.
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Weather permitting Robert will sail home on his own boat, Cisco with friends and family. The American Girl will also be sailing over to join the last trip for Robert. Tentatively scheduled for Friday departure from Ironton at 11:00 a.m.
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Cisco and the American Girl transporting Robert, family and friends will be going under the bridge in Charlevoix around 10:30 am tomorrow (Friday). (Posted for those who wanted more specific time to say goodbye from that side) Transit time to the island would be about 3 hours.