What is the effect of clear-cutting on B.I.

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

jflanagan

What is the effect of clear-cutting on B.I.

Post by jflanagan »

http://www.record-eagle.com/2006/may/19timber.htm
State unveils timber plan
Public hearings scheduled for five northern counties
......About 86 acres of clear-cuts are proposed for Beaver Island, including northern and swamp hardwoods and a 17-acre tract of tamarack trees......

I saw this article. Admittedly, I'm a "city boy" so I'm wondering If someone from the Island can give me the Pro's + con's.

Anyway, where will the wolf hide if the trees are all gone ;-)

jim
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Jim, This is where a lot of "experts" can come climbing out of the woodwork!! There are sections of forest here that are choked off and "failing". They can be left to fail, for certain, and it will not impact the lifes of we here at the present time. Or, it can be "clear cut" and room made for fresh browes and feed for God's creatures as well as the room for these plants to grow. I have a man working for me who cut trees here for over 20 years as a logger, who has the most intutive understanding of the woods I have ever heard explained. He says if we don't trim or cut, clear, the aged or damaged forests they will die like grass in a lawn, or choke out with weeds, or for that matter become the weed that disallows the young plant from growing. Beaver Island is nearly 50,000. acres, perhaps more. 86 will not destroy the island but perhaps improve the trees and the life of the creatures on the ground. I am anxious to see the results!!!
Linda Gallagher

clear-cutting

Post by Linda Gallagher »

Clear cutting MORE of the island is needed. The new browse will benefit a number of species including deer, ruffed grouse, woodcock, and all types of tropical songbirds.

At one time, Mother Nature did the clear cutting by creating fire...then the logging industry did it, creating some of the best ruffed grouse hunting in the Midwest on Beaver Island...there were even a few sharptails around, I've read.

Woodcock depend on young popple for survival, and woodcock numbers are declining due to a loss of habitat.

I'm thrilled to hear about this clear cutting, MORE is needed!
Linda
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

You are so right Linda, young wildlife flourishes just like young trees when they can get some sunlight. There is a lot of choked off forest on this island that could benefit from clear cutting.
mike mayer

clear cutting

Post by mike mayer »

Actually the effect will be the same as the prior clear cutting. // let us hear from chief Ken and family, are they not the caretakers? .... MM