Beaver Island District Library FREE WI-FI Hot

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

TD

Post by TD »

Two Thumbs Up for the Beaver Island District Library WI-FI Hot Spot! I was recently informed that our local library was a FREE WI-FI Hot Spot. After hearing the news I just had to take my new laptop into town to see for myself. I was impressed. I downloaded anti-virus updates, firewall updates, and Windows XP critical updates in just a few short minutes from my car in the parking lot. My firewall registered connection speeds of 60-100 KBps. I encourage everyone with a laptop to check it out. If your laptop is not currently WI-FI enabled you can purchase a low cost 802.11b USB adapter for under $25. You donâ??t need to be computer savvy to connect, just click, click, click and youâ??ve got a high speed broadband connection. This is a great benefit for all us patrons of the local library. If you have a laptop I encourage you to use this service, it will work great for on-line education, checking e-mail & receiving large attachments, receiving security updates, or just surfing the web at high speed.

I know that this is not new news for many islanders, but, like me Iâ??m sure many people missed the announcement of its availability. Our district library has been the recipient of a grant from The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation which may be the funding source for this great addition to island computing. So when youâ??re down at the library getting your updates to keep your Windows software running smooth, say thank you Bill & Melinda Gates.
Phyllis Moore

Post by Phyllis Moore »

TD - For your information the Beaver Island District Library has had wireless internet access for almost three years. The Gates Foundation Grant has absolutely NOTHING to do with it. That grant was simply for a computer/monitor/printer - of which the computer died over a year ago. The Wi-Fi was installed for our patrons at the library. So don't be thanking the Gates Foundation for your internet access, thank the Beaver Island District Library Board of Directors instead.

Phyllis Moore, Assistant Librarian
Beaver Island District Library
T. Scott

LIbrary!

Post by T. Scott »

KUDOS to the Beaver Island Library! As if Lake Michigan beaches, beautiful forests. Islanders and star studded skies weren't enough, God bless us all!, we have the B.I. Library. Another claim to fame! More books per capita!

Living in the Lansing area, let me tell you....to borrow top sellers, one has to sign up on a waiting list and return upon notification within 48 hours to pick it up....B.I.Library ROCKS! I am always amazed to see the top best sellers available to walk-ins.

Also, thanks to all of the Islanders (full-time and part timers) for donating books that end up being sold for a pittance.

Reading is such a wonderful escape! And an education.

Trish Scott
nancy

BI Library is the BEST!

Post by nancy »

We use the wireless service and the computers and love it. We also love the librarians - Barb and Phylliss!

Nancy Peterson
Sean

Post by Sean »

WIFI still up and running?..Ill be on the island for the 4th this year :mrgreen: Image
Sean McDonough

Phyllis Moore

Post by Phyllis Moore »

Yes, the WiFi at the Beaver Island District Library is still up and running 24/7.
tomrock

Post by tomrock »

Yes, Wi-Fi is still there. As soon as the Starbucks opens, it will even have coffee. :D

Chamber of Commerce

Wi-Fi in harbor area as well

Post by Chamber of Commerce »

As Phyllis points out Wi-Fi at the Library has been with us for about three years. The story has been well covered in both the Beaver Beacon and NorthernIslander.

NEW, also well covered, is high speed internet (Wi-Fi) in the harbor area by Central Solutions Inc. They are a member of the Chamber of Commerce and the Chamber office chamber@csyip.net is using the service.

Central Solutions can be found www.beaverisland.org click Professional Services. Best wishes from Beaver Island. :D
Sean

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the info.
Sean McDonough

nancy

Is this true?

Post by nancy »

I heard that if wireless comes to the island (the town part anyway) that it would replace the FREE wireless at the BI Library, ie we would have to pay for wireless at the library. Is this a true rumor or not?

Hopefully it is not true as many of us from elsewhere on the island won't have wireless available and will still need the BI Library and their free wireless!

Nancy Peterson
Phyllis Moore

Post by Phyllis Moore »

Wireless is ALREADY in the town area (we have it at our home on Carlisle Road). The Library still has FREE wireless and we don't plan on making any changes. I don't know where you heard that rumor but it's completely wrong.

The new Central Solutions wireless in the town area is wonderful, and not all that costly.

Phyllis Moore, librarian
Beaver Island District Library[/b]
Last edited by Phyllis Moore on Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marie LaFreniere

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

Central Solutions installed wireless in our home about 3 weeks ago.

It's fan-tas-tic! Best thing since sliced bread!! =D> \:D/
nancy

Post by nancy »

Ok - thanks Phyllis. You know how rumors fly around Beaver Island so I thought I would ask for the truth!!

Unfortunately the new wireless is not out on East Side Drive so some of us still have to come to the library.

Nancy
http://www.beaverislandjewelry.com