Egg Lake Seven

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Gillespie

Egg Lake Seven

Post by Gillespie »

Well, to go through the list I posted the other day will take time and much consideration. I have decided to take the Egg Lake issue first and post here, with permission, a letter submitted to the Beaver Beacon (this one in its full text) by a Jon I. Thomas whom I have never met but who obviously knows what is best for Beaver Island and everyone living here. So here is the text:

"I have been a seasonal resident of Beaver Island for around a decade. I have often said how going to Beaver was like going back in time, when you did not need to lock your doors, and you know most everyone in town. I found this one of the attractions which called me back. I still feel that way, but now it seems the effects of the island have another face. When you don't agree, or even like you neighbor, you are still forced to deal with them on nearly daily basis. This is seen in the bickering that was peppered throughout the latest version of the Beacon.

All this squabbling seems unnecessary, when we should all work together to make this the best place for everyone. Hopefully, this is just a way for the community to work out its differences. I wish to comment on two recent letters... One letter, "Restrictions impact land values" by Mr. Kenneth Taylor discussed the consequences of increased environmental protections on Donegal Bay. I would say that he is either naive or uneducated, or is simply using a play from the Republican handbook, "You can't make money if you have to protect the environment". In fact sir, your comments could not be further from the truth. The best way for an area to be protected and regulated is at the local level. How can some one in Lansing or Washington D.C. know what is best for a bay on the west side of Beaver Island? I would also like to point out environmental protection will not decrease the value of the area, but will in fact increase the value of the area. I challenge Mr. Taylor to cite a specific example where a community or group of people enacted a stewardship program and the value of the property went down. As an illustration, let us suppose that I purchase the land next to his. I build a large home, as large as possible. I then rent it out at extremely low rates to any MSU student, since I am an alumni. So, now you will have beer parties all summer, and all the noise, trash and harassment that goes with it. Will this improve the value of your home in your mind? It is what "I" want, and allows me to make money. If you try to sell the house, each time someone comes to look at it, there will be drunken and 1/2 naked college students running around. Will this increase the money you can get? What if Donegal bay has environmental protection and you are surrounded by the current dwellings and natural habitat, as people come to look at your house (If it is for sale) will they be disgusted by all the flowers, and birds? If you do not want regulation, be careful what you wish for. Any and all environmental regulations should be a compromise, with what is in existence, and what the community want the future to be.

Mr. Taylor then concludes by threatening the fact that land owners will sue due to loss of property value, as I mentioned environmental protection will most likely increase the value, not decrease it. But the fact is that there already are Federal laws which we can use as guide lines. In 1973 the endangered species act was passed into law by the United States Congress. This act promotes the protection of habitat containing threatened or endangered organisms. This act was upheld by the Supreme Court, when developers tried to sue, to build a dam in New York. Donegal bay has at least two threatened or endangered organisms, Pitcher's thistle, and Lake Huron Tansey. So, perhaps if the township approves development without restraint or thought, someone will sue the township for not following an existing federal law!

In regards to the letter by Mr. Gillespie, I am not personally familiar what is going on at Egg Lake, but it is difficult to miss the large clearing when flying to the Island. I certainly agree with Mr. Gillespie, that the Egg Lake 7 should have first and foremost asked what the property owner was doing. But, I can not help but notice that in his long rant, he did not reveal the intentions.... So, I would like to ask Mr. Gillespie, "What are the intentions for the area?" Mr. Gillespie then went on to discuss how the rights of property owners are trying to be usurped. I would like to point out that Egg Lake is not just another piece of Beaver Island, but is in fact a bog. This type of community is only found in areas where glaciers occurred, and contains many rare and federally protected plant species. There are only a few bogs on Beaver Island or even all of Michigan and should not special places like these have special protection? Surely no one is attempting to keep island residents from making a living, but should they be able to do what ever they want to make said living? I'd like to see Mr. Gillespie's Tax returns, to see what kind of a living he makes on the island. I have met a few island natives who seem to think that because they were born on the Island, or have family which was, they are entitled to do whatever they wish. This is absurd to say the least. For example, I can trace my family heritage, on my mother's side, to Pennsylvania in 1774. This is not when my ancestors arrived, but simply the earliest written record of them being on this continent. By the above logic since my ancestors were in this country before it was a county, and their blood was spilled in the revolutionary war and every war since then, should I not then have a special privilege over immigrants and their descendants who abandoned their country to come to mine? Surely this is unacceptable, and indeed un-American!

In conclusion, Beaver Island continues to grow and we are at a crossroads, we can come together and compromise, meaning no development without regulation, and no environmental protection without merit. What will be in the Beacon 100 years form now? How people decided that the all might dollar ruled this island, that environmental fundamentalist did, or that all groups worked together to create a sustainable and endearing island community.... Time will tell.

Remember, the constitution does not begin "The rights of the individual" nor, "The right to make a profit" it begins "WE the people..."

Jon I. Thomas"

I will post a response to Mr. Thomas letter in another thread, I don't like these long winded topics! Rich[/quote]