Historic photos on site

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Robert Cole

Historic photos on site

Post by Robert Cole »

Including Beaver Island Historical Society photos on this website seems to me to be a good way to give the public useful and revealing glimpses into Beaver Island's past.

Although many of the photo captions are humorous in their style and content, I've noticed several innacuracies in identification of people and locations depicted. I would suggest that the online photo collection found here would better serve those many curious folks interested in Island life and history if they were accurately captioned. Many of those visitng the site may be researching Island history for a number of reasons, and it would be unfortunate if a whimsical labeling of photos were to be taken seriously, and passed on to others as fact. I would be happy to help in the process of correctly captioning the many photographs culled from BIHS-owned archives...

Robert Cole
Gillespie

gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Robert, I couldn't agree with you more!! I was going to contact the person who posted those photos both for more accurate captioning and less whimsy. It would certainly be appropriate if not for the fact that many share the history in those photos. Rich
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

I would be happy to help in the process of correctly captioning the many photographs culled from BIHS-owned archives
Fantastic! Thanks!
James Doran

Beaver Island Historical Photos

Post by James Doran »

Hi Robert, Rich, et al

Which photos of Beaver Island Folks are you referring to. Are they posted on the Beaver Beacn site or are they the ones in the history section at beaverisland.net? Or are there others?

I can identify all of those shown by Helen Collar in that section.

Best Regards,
Jim Doran
Web Site:
http://www.familytreemaker.com/users/d/o/r/James-Doran/
There is a photo on this web site of John S. Boyle and wife, the former Mary Connahan, who were married on Beaver Island in 1874.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Thanks Jim,

These are the photos that Robert and Rich were talking about: http://www.beaverbeacon.com/gallery/index.php?cat=507