Beaver Island Post Office

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Nuge

Beaver Island Post Office

Post by Nuge »

I have been hearing a lot of rumors. It is time only for the facts...

Three years ago, I accepted a job at the Beaver Island Post Office. The described job was part time â?? one half-day per week. It was a perfect fit for my retirement schedule. The best part of the job was meeting people at the window.

My training for this position began with two days of training at the regional office in Traverse City which included pay and all expenses. It was followed by more than 100 hours of on-the-job training.

This summer, Michelle Dreffs, announced her retirement, and I moved into a full time position. Documents were signed which certified me as the Postmaster and Officer in Charge (OIC) for Beaver Island. I began working 9-10 hours per day, 6-days per week. My pay was $9.99/hr with no pay given after 8-hours per day. After several weeks on the job, I asked my boss (Linda Woods of the Saginaw office) if I could receive a pay rate that reflected my responsibilities of Officer in Charge. Linda said, â??Thatâ??s not going to happen.â?￾ After thought, prayer and reflection, I gave notice to terminate my employment with the Post Office. My last day was Tuesday, August 28.

Michelle Dreffs was told by Linda Woods, â??If you donâ??t come out of retirement to run the Post Office, I will shut it down.â?￾ (Other locations require an Act of Congress to authorize closure!) Michelle is currently running our Beaver Island Post Office.

On the day that I left the job, a public notice was posted in the Beaver Island Post Office for my vacant position. The job is posted for $12.38/hr that includes paid vacation days and access to health insurance. Linda Woods told me that I could apply for this position if I wanted!

I left the Post Office with a lot of peace in my heart. My resignation is final, and I have no bitterness. Michelle Dreffs was the BEST to work for. Her honesty and integrity are of the utmost. She taught me the importance of strict confidentiality with the many things that we learn through sorting the mail. Michelle remains a great friend.

The job posting â?? on the bulletin board at the Post Office â?? is a great job! The described pay is reasonable and fair. Check it out! Go for it!

Patrick