Phone Scam re: IT support

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

jflanagan

Phone Scam re: IT support

Post by jflanagan »

Ooops, posted this in the For Sale section

A type of phone scam is heating up. I even just got a call here on BI.
:( :(
See the link below for more info, but, briefly.

The caller identifies them as being IT tech support, sometimes claiming to be Microsoft Tech Support (in the examples I have heard of the caller ID will say it is an American call but the accent will not be American). They claim you are infected with computer viruses. Then then ask you to follow their directions on your computer. If you do at minimum you will get a bill for work you did not need. At worst they will have you assist them in installing spyware and malware on you computer that will compromise all records stored on it and any passwords or login credentials typed on it.

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2012/08/tech ... ams-surge/

If you did follow their advice.... Shoot me an email and I'll try to help.

Jim
James Flanagan
37700 Font View Ct. 4439 N. California
Beaver Island, Mi Chicago, Il
49782 60625
231-448-2109 773-463-5494
Beaver Island Jewelry

Post by Beaver Island Jewelry »

My husband got a similar call in Ann Arbor the other night - late around midnight to scare you! They said they were from Microsoft Tech Support and if he didn't fix his problems right now, at 2 a.m. this virus was about to attack his Microsoft programs. He said they had a foreign accent but were very convincing. He is not one to be fooled by these scams.

So - beware!