Little Sand Bay Saunter

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

ddegraaf

Little Sand Bay Saunter

Post by ddegraaf »

Friday, I hiked a favorite trail through the Little Sand Bay Nature Preserve. The early evening weather was mostly sunny with a temperature of 82 degrees and a slight easterly breeze. The trail began as a mowed path through an open field where I spotted a Stag horn Sumac plant. The red berries of this plant can be collected and made into â??lemonade.â?￾ The leaves and berries were mixed with tobacco and smoked by Native Americans. As the trail became sandy, I was surprised to see a Snowshoe rabbit with its rusty brown summer coat that will turn white in the winter. The trail proceeded through a densely shaded mixed conifer forest of cedar, balsam fir and birch where I noticed some Yellow Loosestrife. The name Loosestrife is a very old one and refers to the belief that the plant had a special virtue 'in appeasing the strife and unruliness among oxen. The plant appears to be obnoxious to gnats and flies and placing it under the yoke, relieved the beasts of their tormentors, thus making them quiet and tractable. Next, I stooped down to see some Jewelweed. This plant is used as an herbal remedy to treat bee stings and Stinging Nettle rashes. It is also used after Poison Ivy contact to prevent a rash from developing. The trail came out on a secondary sand dune behind the beach. There I saw lots of Kalmâ??s St. Johnâ??s wort that is found only along the shores of the Great Lakes. Also, I noticed some Shrubby Cinquefoil. Native Americans used the dried leaves of this plant to make an arrow poison that was thought to go directly to the heart. I gazed out at the beautiful Little Sand Bay and proceeded north along the dunes where I spotted Indian Paint brush. Flowers of this plant are edible and were consumed by various Native American tribes as a condiment with other fresh greens. It has similar health benefits to eating garlic. Next, I spotted Harebell. Roots of this plant were chewed by Native Americans in the treatment of heart and lung problems. Further along, I noticed the invasive, European Swamp Thistle. I came to the waterâ??s edge and walked along the beach where I saw some Houghton Goldenrod. This threatened species was named in honor of Douglass Houghton, a doctor, botanist, civic leader, and Michigan's first State Geologist. This plant grows nowhere else in the world but along the Great Lakes shoreline. Finally, I walked back to the car and headed back to the cottage.

The beauty of the trees, the softness of the air,

the fragrance of the grass speaks to me.

The summit of the mountain, the thunder of the sky,

The rhythm of the sea, speaks to me.

The faintness of the stars, the freshness of the morning,

the dewdrop on the flower, speaks to me.

The strength of the fire, the taste of salmon, the trail of the sun,

and the life that never goes away, they speak to me

And my heart soars.

Chief Dan George