Sunday Saunter

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

ddegraaf

Sunday Saunter

Post by ddegraaf »

It was Sunday when I decided to hike along a beautiful stretch of Wicklow beach near the cottage. The early morning weather was sunny with a temperature of 60 degrees and a refreshing breeze out of the north. Starting out, I noticed lots of Bladder Campion among the vegetation in the foredune. Ahead of me, I spotted a Herring Gull walking in the wet sand. When, I got closer, it took off. However, I could see lots of its tracks. Next, I spotted some Silverweed. This plant is used both internally and externally in treating various affections of the body. Internally it is used as a tea to treat stomach colic, kidney stones and arthritis. In popular medicine, silverweed is used for treating severe diarrhea and anemia. Externally, the plant is used for treating skin ulcerations and gum inflammations. Continuing down the beach enjoying the sunrise and the sound of waves hitting the shore, I was pleased to see some Huron Tansy. I stopped, picked a leaf and crushed it to smell its pungent odor. This plant is a threatened species growing only in coastal dunes on the northern shores of the Great Lakes. Nearby was some Spotted Knapweed. This plant is an aggressive invasive species that disturbs natural ecosystems by producing a natural herbicide called "catechin" that eradicates plants around it. I walked along and spotted a single, tall Common Mullein plant growing right on the beach. Sitting among the beach stones was a well-decomposed gull carcass. Further along, I observed Yarrow, Evening Primrose and Beach Pea. Mixed in the stones were the ubiquitous Zebra Mussel shells. The Zebra Mussel is an invasive species first introduced in the Great Lakes in 1988 from ballast water dumped by large ocean-going vessels from Europe. Much of its recent dispersal can be attributed to recreational activities such as boating and fishing. These organisms damage harbors and waterways, ships and boats, and water treatment and power plants. Also, they anchor themselves by the thousands to native mussels making it impossible for them to function. Native mussels have all but disappeared from the Great Lakes. Next, a rock on the beach caught my eye. I stooped down and was excited to find a fossil embedded in Sandstone. Nearing the end of my journey, I glanced up to see a Gibbous moon high in a blue sky. Finally, it was back to the cottage for a cup of coffee.

The sight of sunlight glinting on the water dazzling, 

The sound of waves advancing softly on the sand, 

The feeling of the suns warming kiss on my skin, 

The cool dampness of the sand between my toes, 

The gentle breeze moving through my hair, 

Slipping across the water a yacht gliding silently, 

The breeze filled sails carrying her to deeper waters, 

Above me seagulls swirl singing their daily song, 

Before diving down into the sea to snatch a fish, 

The gentle breeze and warming sun feeding my soul, 

The captivating pleasures of sight and sound so delightful, 

I breathe in the wonderful scent of salt water that fills the air,